Quantcast

Never know who is on the bike.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Let's not turn this into a "I hate roadies" thread.

Yes, I've seen egregious behavior from large groups of cyclists, but this was a single rider who a driver decided to screw with.

I never said I hate roadies ;) In fact...there's a lot of really cool ones out there. The other day at work I met some guy who was in his 80's and said he still tries to ride at least 30mi/day.

One of my buddies is really big into road biking. He only does it for training for his mx career though...and he's racing supercross for 2012 so guess he better be in good shape :P

If I could afford a road bike I'd love to ride one...I wear tight jeans already so not a huge jump up to spandex haha.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
I still can't believe the comments on the article. I mean, maybe it shouldn't surprise me, but sadly it does. People suck.
Bikes have a tough time in this country it seems. Just read about the craziness regarding a bike path a block from where I live:

http://nymag.com/news/features/bike-wars-2011-3/

I have never seen anything like that in Denmark. A lawsuit over a bike path. People really do not have better things to do with their time and energy.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Bikes have a tough time in this country it seems. Just read about the craziness regarding a bike path a block from where I live:

http://nymag.com/news/features/bike-wars-2011-3/

I have never seen anything like that in Denmark. A lawsuit over a bike path. People really do not have better things to do with their time and energy.
Damn.

But seriously, Portland is the most bike friendly town in the US, yet there are still plenty of jackasses.

cecil

Turbo Monkey
Jun 3, 2008
with the voices in my head
As one of the "roadies" you probably get angry at, let me remind you that bicycles have a legal right to the road, just as cars do. Courtesy on both sides is appreciated. As far as people riding 4 or 5 wide (most likely along the 192 or 150), this is certainly during the fast group rides in town. You can't do a large, fast group ride single-file because the accordion effect would ruin the ride.
for what its worth the vehicle and traffic law states "you must not disrupt the normal flow of traffic"

in other words dont block the road cause you think you have the right to! you have the right to be on the road and you should NOT have to be harassed by drivers. but if you can't maintain the posted speed limit, you are required by law to pull to the side and let traffic by, just as you would expect a tractor, or any other slow moving vehicle on the road to pull over and let you pass weather you are in a motor vehicle or on your bike.