Quantcast

New 09 Race Vs Used 07 Team's?

Aug 10, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
So I want to buy a set of boxxers but don't want to spend much over €400.

I can get an 09 set from the US for around €400 delivered or I see a pair of 07 Teams in perfect condition advertised locally that are TFTuned with evil seals for the same price.

Which should I go for?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
If you need a set of forks, why not get one of each? That way you can really spend some time on each one and see which fork you like more.

konastab01

Turbo Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Well the 09s because they are newer but depending on what work tf have done it might be worth going for them.
What weight is is the tf pair set up for?

Having ridden and owned both here's my advice

09 Race
  • newer lowers, stronger in the arch, but a little heavier
  • damping is pretty much as good as teams - you can even tune the floodgate internally (search for threads by Udi on this)
  • new forks with 2 year warranty (despite purchasing them in US you should be able to wiggle a warranty if you're creative and persistant)
  • other minor sealing issues with damping cart resolved in 08 (don't know if these issues were particular to the more complex Team/WC damping)

07 Team - TFTuned
  • TFTuned speed stack makes little or no difference - in fact the speed stack full stop makes little or no difference
  • TFTuned made a big difference to the suppleness of my Boxxers, but this was entirely due to the resizing of the bushings - which were stiff on my boxxers from new
  • The MC damping cart design of the pre 08 boxxers was prone to leakages at the top
  • Pre 08 boxxers were prone to cracking on the arch (read this as a small percentage, it never happed to me)

Other things to bear in mind are what crown will ship with each one. A different crown will set you back well over €100 if you get the wrong one.

Best of luck,

JT

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
With the Race from the US, for warranty service worse case you'll have to ship it back and forth to US rather than dealing with whatever they normally do for UK.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Having ridden and owned both here's my advice

09 Race
  • newer lowers, stronger in the arch, but a little heavier
  • damping is pretty much as good as teams - you can even tune the floodgate internally (search for threads by Udi on this)
  • new forks with 2 year warranty (despite purchasing them in US you should be able to wiggle a warranty if you're creative and persistant)
  • other minor sealing issues with damping cart resolved in 08 (don't know if these issues were particular to the more complex Team/WC damping)

07 Team - TFTuned
  • TFTuned speed stack makes little or no difference - in fact the speed stack full stop makes little or no difference
  • TFTuned made a big difference to the suppleness of my Boxxers, but this was entirely due to the resizing of the bushings - which were stiff on my boxxers from new
  • The MC damping cart design of the pre 08 boxxers was prone to leakages at the top
  • Pre 08 boxxers were prone to cracking on the arch (read this as a small percentage, it never happed to me)

Other things to bear in mind are what crown will ship with each one. A different crown will set you back well over €100 if you get the wrong one.

Best of luck,

JT
Just a FYI, my 07 has both the newer lower casting with more material, and the damper does not leak.....so some 07s had these running changes....

Hold on a sec. I just realised you are in Ireland.

Be very careful when you get the forks shipped home. Make sure the sender puts something like "Warranty Replacement" or "Serviced Part - No Charge" on the package.

Otherwise the Irish Customs will screw you. I got charged €30 on a €33 part I got from Ironhorse. I recently had my CCDB returned from CC and they labelled the package as above and no customs charges were applied.

It is very important that the item is shipped through one of the USPS services, as couriers charge customs and handling charges by default and you have to claim them back from the bureaucracy that is Irish Customs. It's long winded and not applicable to your situation.

Good luck,

JT

boone

Monkey
Jun 27, 2005
Glad to see some folks giving sounds advice!

OTOH, why in the F does everyone say "forks?"

For fock sake man...seriously?

Ok back on track.