Quantcast

New AM/Trail bike: Remedy or Fuel EX?

Daver

Monkey
Jun 1, 2005
Shiddeny
Looking for a new trail and AM bike for to go with my Session. I will be mainly riding downhill style trails, occassional 24 hour and 8 hour enduros, and 20-30 minute short track and super D events. I'm not going to be winning Elite in XC racing, so I don't mind a slightly slower bike, but I don't want to be battling off the back either.

I had a great experience with my old Reign setup with Lyrik's, and the Remedy is a very similar bike. The slacker angles are much better as well. That said, I am also replacing my Anthem X too, and the bike needs to fall somewhere between the two (the Reign and the Anthem X).

I have recently change jobs and the Trek's are the two bikes I quite like at the moment, the question for all the Remedy users is whether the Remedy will be too much bike for enduros and general trail riding. I have played on a Roscoe briefly, but the Remedy is a better bike from my perspective (better parts, better pricing, better geometry).

It will either be a Remedy 7/EX 8 or Remedy 9/EX9.9 depending on how car hunting this weekend goes...

jon-boy

Monkey
May 26, 2004
Vancouver BC
I have a Remedy 8 and am thoroughly enjoying riding it. If you are throwing down on more technical XC trails it's a great bike. I think it climbs really well too and there's some big technical climbs here in BC. I was riding Comfortably Numb in Whistler the other week and the bike climbs excellently. It really does, especially with a fork like the Lyric 2 step or Talas where you can reduce the front travel. I know for the riding that I do here the Remedy is pretty bang on.

dhzion

Monkey
May 4, 2008
Mighty Zion
Depends on which side you want to lean towards. Both are excellent to pedal but the remedy loves to be gotten behind and ridden like a sled when gravity kicks in. My buddy and I are both getting in decent fifteen mile plus days of tech southern utah riding in the saddle with no complaints. Throw in ABP and the floating linkage its all win.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
If you have the Session already, get a Fuel. That way the overlap is less. The new 5x5 trail bikes are pretty competent. I just think that a Remedy / Session combo, given the fact that you like the XC stuff, might leave you in a situation where the Remedy gets ridden all the time, although not being that great for what you want to do with it, while the Session collects dust except on the resort days. Why not get a Fuel that does what you want it to do in an XC / trail sense, and still use the Session for the bigger stuff?

The Remedy is a superb bike and if you were living in a place like BC I would not hesitate to suggest it as a Shore worthy trail bike. Pretty much everywhere else it might be too much bike, unless it is your only one.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
If you have the Session already, get a Fuel. That way the overlap is less. The new 5x5 trail bikes are pretty competent. I just think that a Remedy / Session combo, given the fact that you like the XC stuff, might leave you in a situation where the Remedy gets ridden all the time, although not being that great for what you want to do with it, while the Session collects dust except on the resort days. Why not get a Fuel that does what you want it to do in an XC / trail sense, and still use the Session for the bigger stuff?

The Remedy is a superb bike and if you were living in a place like BC I would not hesitate to suggest it as a Shore worthy trail bike. Pretty much everywhere else it might be too much bike, unless it is your only one.
Agreed