Quantcast

New Apple Commercial

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
My PC won't play the ads because Apples website says I need QT 7 installed. I do, but my PC isn't telling Apple.com.

:rofl:

Mike

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
He stole what was already stolen by Apple. Xerox PARC was the first...the real innovator.

wikipedia said:
PARC has been the incubator of many elements of modern computing. Most were included in the Alto, which introduced and unified most aspects of now-standard personal computer usage model: the mouse[1], computer generated color graphics, a graphical user interface featuring windows and icons, the WYSIWYG text editor, InterPress (a resolution-independent graphical page description language and the precursor to PostScript), Ethernet, and fully formed object-oriented programming in the Smalltalk programming language and integrated development environment. The laser printer was developed at the same time, as an integral part of the overall environment.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
And now they're trying to copy the iPod, iTunes and soon the iPhone.
None of those solutions are firsts so nobody is copying Apple's own technology.

Either company might have a new idea here and there but most of their work is integrating existing technology in an evolutionary way. Just because Apple has better marketing and smooth integration of existing technology doesn't make any more original.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Be afraid Syadasti, be very afraid....
Very old news and again not a new concept (budget PC CPU based supercomputer clusters). AMD had an Athlon cluster a three years before and it had the lowest cost per gflop of processing power of that time. The first well known AMD cluster was KLAT2 of 2000:

A popular measure of supercomputer speed is how many billions of floating-point arithmetic operations it can perform per second (GFLOPS) while executing a useful program. Less than a decade ago, supercomputers cost more than $1,000,000 per GFLOPS. Traditional supercomputers still cost around $10,000 for each GFLOPS delivered. Linux PC clusters, "Beowulfs" like LANL's Avalon, bring that cost down to around $3,000 per GFLOPS. It was the addition of two rather exotic new technologies to a Linux PC cluster that allowed us to get a GFLOPS for $650 each.
Anyhow Apple publically admitted (Jobs even) the new Intel CPUs (with ancestry in the PIII BTW) are superior to the PPC of yesteryears, so there is no argument anymore - Apple hardware claims were their typical marketing BS and Apple was the one who switched, not the other way around...

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Very old news and again not a new concept (budget PC CPU based supercomputer clusters).
Whatever, I just thought a whole stack of G5s looked cool, and that I could edit HD video pretty quick on that thing, no more 24-48 hour renders on special effects. I honestly don't care who stole who's technology, it will be outdated in a week anyway.:plthumbsdown:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Whatever, I just thought a whole stack of G5s looked cool, and that I could edit HD video pretty quick on that thing, no more 24-48 hour renders on special effects. I honestly don't care who stole who's technology, it will be outdated in a week anyway.:plthumbsdown:
Thats how a lot of movie studios are doing it, with big farms of PCs with custom software applications running on various OS, depending on what they are doing and what studio it is.

Obsolesce isn't quite as bad with Apple products - high brand image, price control, and zealots insure higher resale values for you to drop your stuff for the latest and greatest along with the slicking marketing to convince you to do it sooner than necessary:thumb:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Thats how a lot of movie studios are doing it, with big farms of PCs with custom software applications running on various OS, depending on what they are doing and what studio it is.
Ya, but it would be so much cooler if I had that in my garage, hell if I had 20 G5s all linked together I'd be set, cut my render times down to 2-3 hours.

Obsolesce isn't quite as bad with Apple products - high brand image, price control, and zealots insure higher resale values for you to drop your stuff for the latest and greatest along with the slicking marketing to convince you to do it sooner than necessary:thumb:
Marketing ploy or not, I sold my older PowerBook G4 last week for $900, I bought it used for $1100 about a year and a half ago. Any computer that I can own and use for 18 months and it only costs me $200 is allright by be. Of course I'll be selling my 12" PB and G5 soon to make room for a MBP, and a Mac Pro, and then in 2-3 years I'll sell those for 80% of their purchase price, exclusivity has it's benifits. I havn't looked at the used PC market in a while, since I threw away my old desktop 3 years ago to be exact, but a Windows tower that cost me $1200ish new and still worked fine wasn't worth the hassle of trying to sell 2 years later, and Goodwill wouldn't even take:disgust1: .

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Marketing ploy or not, I sold my older PowerBook G4 last week for $900, I bought it used for $1100 about a year and a half ago. Any computer that I can own and use for 18 months and it only costs me $200 is allright by be. Of course I'll be selling my 12" PB and G5 soon to make room for a MBP, and a Mac Pro, and then in 2-3 years I'll sell those for 80% of their purchase price, exclusivity has it's benifits. I havn't looked at the used PC market in a while, since I threw away my old desktop 3 years ago to be exact, but a Windows tower that cost me $1200ish new and still worked fine wasn't worth the hassle of trying to sell 2 years later, and Goodwill wouldn't even take:disgust1: .
And yet the major notebook brands only differ by a few percentage points in failure rates with Apple in the middle of the rankings so the price difference is caused by BS/hype. Thats not even to mention that PPC are slower than Pentium M notebooks and cost more. Buying a used notebook isn't a good plan in my book unless you have a warranty - its one of the few things you buy where an extended warranty actually makes sense.