Quantcast

New Beer - The search continues.......

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
I just picked up some smutty nose s'muttonaotr, wolavers oatmeal stout, and flying dog horn dog barley wine style ale. I'll let you know how they are once I get to them.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Harpoon is my fav, but I do not like Winter beers in general. But the Harpoon Hibernian Ale is due at my local liquer store tomorrow. So tonight I'm dining on IPA. Double Bag rocks, too.

On a side (but related) note, a specialty foods store opened in my town a few months ago. They keep 4-packs of Sammy Smith in the cooler. Many varieties even. Every other time I've seen them its been warm singles.

Good beer is, well, good!

Brilliant!

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
GumbaFish said:
I just picked up some smutty nose s'muttonaotr, wolavers oatmeal stout, and flying dog horn dog barley wine style ale. I'll let you know how they are once I get to them.
Cant speak to the others, but Wolavers is pretty ordinary. It is organic thjough. And relatively cheap. Too bad those don't make up for the taste being so, um, nondescript. :(

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
i just picked up: Otter Creek- Stovepipe porter, Middlebury Vermont
Ska Brewing- Ten Pin porter, durango
Great Divide- St. Brigids porter, Denver

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
Sam adams.. are you kidding, thats basically budwieser.. er the corporate american one.. not the Czech original. You know they put THC in their beer over in the Czech Republic.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
kicknitLivE said:
Sam adams.. are you kidding, thats basically budwieser.. er the corporate american one.. not the Czech original. You know they put THC in their beer over in the Czech Republic.
I've been to Prague and Pilzen(but don't tell the rental car company that) and enjoyed unpasteurized Pilsner Urquell right from the tap. But THC in Czech beer? I have personally(in college) brewed such a thing, but never encountered one anywhere else.

I like the Sam Adams Cream Stout. Each must be judged on its own merits.

berkshire_rider

Growler
Feb 5, 2003
The Blackstone Valley
kicknitLivE said:
I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy it in the Czech Republic. :blah:

It's all about trying different beers. I had never had the Sam Adams cherry wheat, so I picked up a 6'er. It won't be a repeat selection. :oink:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
kicknitLivE said:
Why waste THC like that?

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
i've never heard of THC brews in CZ either. the beer was decent, and very well priced. the staropramen was good, the budvar ok. urquell was probably the best, but there was another one too which was good and escapes my memory at the moment.

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Drank the flying dog horn dog barley wine style ale so I can comment on it. It may be that I have never had barley wine before, but I have to say I didn't like this at all and can't say I plan on trying anything similar in style again. Very alcoholic tasting....very. Finishing the glass was kind of a chore. Very interesting stuff though, it almost looked like a fermented cider when in the glass. Similar color, and even sediment like a cider could have. But the fact its 10%abv and tastes every bit that much or more was just not my style. O well, that's the first beer I didn't like in a while out of random purchases so I can't complain. (its times like this that I am happy I have a store that sells singles!)

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Repack said:
On a side (but related) note, a specialty foods store opened in my town a few months ago. They keep 4-packs of Sammy Smith in the cooler. Many varieties even. Every other time I've seen them its been warm singles.
Sammy Smith Oatmeal Stout :drool: GREAT beer IMO!

biggins said:
i just picked up: Otter Creek- Stovepipe porter, Middlebury Vermont
Mmmm...another good local brew. :thumb:

GumbaFish

Turbo Monkey
Oct 5, 2004
Rochester N.Y.
Belhaven is good, although I've only had their scottish ale...which leads me to this. If you like Belhaven scottish ale try Black Douglas, great great beer.