Quantcast

New bike advice for my grrrlie's first mountain rig

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
NVM. I guess it's one of those things you have to learn on your own. Just do me a flavor, read the reviews I posted links to, and think about it. And just keep in mind, spocomptonrider only replied to one of my sub points which despite what you think he still kinda missed. I worked in a shop for years and a guy in his garage(including me) isn't the same as a shop mechanic in a shop.
Nope. Re-read your post again. You drank too much kool-aid, and you are pitching like a used car salesman. You know that wal-mart carries Mongoose too, right? Should you not buy a EC-D? No. Different lines based on the type of shop.

Also, with an XC hardtail, it really is about the build. While the angles/lengths determine the ride, you can find near identical angles between most major brand hardtails, as what works for xc falls into a very small box re: angles/lengths. Due to this, you can get off brand frames and build them up with phenomenal parts to get an all-in better bike. Sure, it doesn't have the name, but when you ride them side by side, and the numbers are near identical, what are you missing?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
MD-
I went through this debate with wifey, and ended up getting her a used Fisher Pro-Caliber frame and building it up with used parts. Because of this, we spent less thank $750, but she got a FS frame that fits her, a Fox fork, full xt/xtr build, Mavic Crossmax wheels, AND the $120 women's specific saddle that she liked. The saddle ended up costing more than everything except the frame, and was what she felt 'made' the bike for her.
If you are willing to put in the time, go used.

this is her bike. I recently had to pillage parts for my bike, but you get the idea.

I went with old stuff because she won't notice the difference, it's cheap, and if she breaks it, there are tons of replacement parts.

As 'elite' bike enthusiasts, we want/need shiny new stuff. Non-enthusiasts don't.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Well, are you sure she will enjoy a hardtail? It seems you have decided to go that route, and I hope you guys take into consideration the type of riding you will be doing. If you wouldn't have fun on the hardtail doing it - she won't either.

And, since I really don't care.. I'm 5'5 and 117ish. Yeah, it's sometimes not the easiest to throw my 40.5lb bike around.. But, I definitely would NOT want to take 4 inches of travel away just to save 10 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying is... Make sure she rides a hardtail before one is bought. ;)
The XC HT she was on was a problem for her because it was a 17" XC Kona frame and she needed a 15" or smaller for that model. A shorter stem would have had her in a better spot, but in any case the frame was too big. Also, the fork was worthless and locked out (at 190lbs, I couldn't get it to compress). She also thought it would be a good idea to be clipped in (she's a roadie) and the trail we rode had some tech sections, so she fell a few times because she lost flow (stupid fork) and couldn't unclip.

On a previous ride, she rode a 35lb 18" HT that I had (On-one Inbred Summer Season with a Pike... before it was stolen) on flat pedals and managed to do fine on it, even through some tech sections I thought she would walk. I thought the bike would be too big for her, but she didn't seem to mind it at all (compared to how much she hated the Kona). She has roadie legs, so she could climb fire roads just fine. However on the later ride, she realized that the tech stuff was more fun. There isn't too much here in SoCal that she would need a big AM full squish for, so I don't know if it is worth the weight and the cost to get one. I'm also not sure she'd appreciate having the squish. Of course, she might not appreciate the HT either. It is a gamble.

MD-
I went through this debate with wifey, and ended up getting her a used Fisher Pro-Caliber frame and building it up with used parts. Because of this, we spent less thank $750, but she got a FS frame that fits her, a Fox fork, full xt/xtr build, Mavic Crossmax wheels, AND the $120 women's specific saddle that she liked. The saddle ended up costing more than everything except the frame, and was what she felt 'made' the bike for her.
If you are willing to put in the time, go used.

this is her bike. I recently had to pillage parts for my bike, but you get the idea.

I went with old stuff because she won't notice the difference, it's cheap, and if she breaks it, there are tons of replacement parts.

As 'elite' bike enthusiasts, we want/need shiny new stuff. Non-enthusiasts don't.
I'm torn here, because she is an enthusiast, just not for mountain (yet). Her road bike is quite nice, and even her commuter bike is high qualiy. I'm torn between getting her something that is easier on the pocket book that she can upgrade when/if her interest goes up, or just starting her off high quality out of the gate. Of course, high quality out of the gate has the risk of her not liking the frame fit.

Typing just now, I think I'm going to point her at the Rocky Mountain. It is super light, about the right size (nothing a stem can't fix) and has a good parts build. If she decides she needs squish, then we can look at getting her a new frame and do a parts swap. Also, if she doesn't like it at all, the higher quality build will have a better resale value (if it goes that way).

Thanks for the help gang. I appreciate the insight. It is hard to take off my glasses with years of experience as a bigger, more aggressive rider and try to see things through the eyes of a featherweight new to the mountain world.

...btw - she's already asking me about going to Whistler this summer with some of her girllie friends while I ride the gnar. She's on the right path. :thumb:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Well, are you sure she will enjoy a hardtail? It seems you have decided to go that route, and I hope you guys take into consideration the type of riding you will be doing. If you wouldn't have fun on the hardtail doing it - she won't either.

And, since I really don't care.. I'm 5'5 and 117ish. Yeah, it's sometimes not the easiest to throw my 40.5lb bike around.. But, I definitely would NOT want to take 4 inches of travel away just to save 10 pounds.

I guess what I'm saying is... Make sure she rides a hardtail before one is bought. ;)
A 40.5 pound 4" FS bike! :eek::eek:

I'd throw those 10 pounds away in a heartbeat to give up that 4" of travel - but then again I'd still have a 30.5 pound hardtail.

mandown should be able to find his GF a nice hardtail in the $1K price range and still get at least two pounds - if not more - below the 30 pound threshold. :thumb:

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
BTW - I told her yesterday that she was the subject of a thread on Ridemonkey and that I had some of the finest minds on the planet helping search for her first bike. She was very pleased and sent her thanks. OK gang, don't fvck this up. :p

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
fear not, i've already told her she can never join ridemonkey. i'm distracted enough with the rest of y'all here, i don't need her here too. Like BurlyS stated earlier - keep some things for myself.

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
A 40.5 pound 4" FS bike! :eek::eek:

I'd throw those 10 pounds away in a heartbeat to give up that 4" of travel - but then again I'd still have a 30.5 pound hardtail.

mandown should be able to find his GF a nice hardtail in the $1K price range and still get at least two pounds - if not more - below the 30 pound threshold. :thumb:
Haha.. I guess I should have left out that I have a small Demo 8. It was more just in general, I would rather have a 4 inch trail bike at 36 pounds, than a hardtail at 30ish.

I guess the '10 pounds' was a bit on the heavy side, but I hope you get what I mean, nonetheless. :)

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
BTW - I told her yesterday that she was the subject of a thread on Ridemonkey and that I had some of the finest minds on the planet helping search for her first bike. She was very pleased and sent her thanks. OK gang, don't fvck this up. :p
She sent her thanks? Did I miss the pictures? :)

Snowflake

Monkey
Aug 10, 2009
Maryland
The XC HT she was on was a problem for her because it was a 17" XC Kona frame and she needed a 15" or smaller for that model. A shorter stem would have had her in a better spot, but in any case the frame was too big. Also, the fork was worthless and locked out (at 190lbs, I couldn't get it to compress). She also thought it would be a good idea to be clipped in (she's a roadie) and the trail we rode had some tech sections, so she fell a few times because she lost flow (stupid fork) and couldn't unclip.

On a previous ride, she rode a 35lb 18" HT that I had (On-one Inbred Summer Season with a Pike... before it was stolen) on flat pedals and managed to do fine on it, even through some tech sections I thought she would walk. I thought the bike would be too big for her, but she didn't seem to mind it at all (compared to how much she hated the Kona). She has roadie legs, so she could climb fire roads just fine. However on the later ride, she realized that the tech stuff was more fun. There isn't too much here in SoCal that she would need a big AM full squish for, so I don't know if it is worth the weight and the cost to get one. I'm also not sure she'd appreciate having the squish. Of course, she might not appreciate the HT either. It is a gamble.
Yeah, I meant to add 'that fits her' to that. I was assuming that the bike would be too big for her, as it was yours. lol..

I guess since I'm from the east coast, I don't really know what the trails are like out there.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Yeah, I meant to add 'that fits her' to that. I was assuming that the bike would be too big for her, as it was yours. lol..

I guess since I'm from the east coast, I don't really know what the trails are like out there.
The weird thing is that my bike (On-One Summer Season + Pike) that I thought was too big and heavy (18" & 35lbs) was one she liked and killed it on (ride 1). The XC HT from her friend (17" Kona Kula... I think) which was smaller and lighter pissed her off (ride 2). The long stem and lame fork + clipless on a tech-ier trail ruined it for her. Of course, I took the Kona from her on the DH portion of ride 2 and put her on the 8" DH sofa I was rolling... she liked that beast.

...as for pics - here they are

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Jackpot! She got a bike Saturday. I'm very happy with the find. It had all the things I thought were key:
Sram X.5 or better drivetrain
Name-brand fork with compression/rebound adjustments
Good mechanical discs (vs. lower end hydro)

http://jaxbicycles.com/product/trek-6000-wsd-disc-59348-1.htm

Frame Trek Alpha Black Series aluminum
Fork RockShox Dart 3, 100mm-travel
Rims/Wheels Bontrager Ranger
Hubs Shimano M475, disc
Tires Bontrager Jones XR, 26 x 2.25/2.2
Crankset Shimano
Chainwheel 44/32/22
Front Derailleur SRAM X-5
Rear Derailleur SRAM X-5
Rear Cogs SRAM PG950, 9-speed: 11-34
Shifters SRAM X-5
Handlebars Bontrager SSR Riser
Tape/Grips Bontrager Select FIT
Stem Bontrager SSR
Brake Levers ProMax
Brakes Avid BB-5 mechanical discs
Pedals Wellgo platform
Saddle Bontrager SSR WSD
Seat Post Bontrager SSR
All in, it weighs 30lbs. The only things I see her swapping out are the pedals, brake levers and the saddle. The pedals are OK, but not particularly grippy, and she had a road background, and may want to go back to clipless. While the Trek WSD (Women's Specific Design) seemed to fit her well, but I was shocked that the 15.5 inch frame for women had brake levers that were so far from the bar (Tektro mechs). Even fully adjusted in, I thought the reach was still too much for a small frame designed for women's smaller hands. The saddle also seemed a bit excessive. It appears to be designed for the lasses with a bit more junk in the trunk (which isn't unreasonable, since she is a petite flower).

List was $899 and she got a healthy discount for joining a local riding club sponsored by the bike shop. We went to Jax in Claremont (http://jaxbicycles.com). She knew one of the shop guys, which helped get good service, and they weren't terribly busy.

She took it out for a short test ride on her own, while I was off riding with the boys. She said it climbed and descended nicely and that she felt very comfortable hopping over roots and rocks, and she was even comfortable enough to flip the lockout lever on the fork on and off while riding.