Quantcast

New bike for a 5' 3" rider

rec

Chimp
Oct 1, 2004
Central Va.
I need input for a friend of mine. He is 5' 3" tall and wants to purchase a new bike for xc and trail riding. I would rate him as a intermediate rider and he is in his late 20's. He is prepaired to drop some coin on the new ride. He currently is leaning toward the Yeti 575 enduro.

Make some suggestions on brand and or anything that a shorter rider my need to consider.
He does not do any jumping but enjoys bombing some down hills on occasion.
A good climber is also a requirement.
Thanks
R

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
5'3" is a great height for being a good climber but does cause some problems with standover height.

Most sized Small full suspension bikes, the height range for the rider about 5'3" to 5'7". He should be able to ride most models, but he might be hitting the top tube when he dismounts.

Also, the more travel you get, the higher the standover becomes. If it is not obvious, a 6 inch travel fork sets up the bike higher than a bike designed around 4 inches.

Obviously, he is going to have try several out to see which fits him best.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I am 5'4" and I have an '08 Yet 575. Mine is a small and I have virtually no standover so I would probably recommend an XS for him (unless his inseam is longer than mine then he might be fine). Really it would be best to have him ride both sizes and see which feels better to him. I have mine built really light and it's nothing short of AWESOME for climbing, descending and technical riding. The only downfall for me (with short legs) is the standover, but I have gotten used to it.