Quantcast

New Bike Products

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
Leatt makes pretty nice lids. I have a roundish oval head shape and they fit me well. I use their moto helmets/goggles as well. No noise, just little grippy round things that 'rest' on your skull.
i think leatt is going to be my next half lid. Their goggles are great for the price.

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019
That’s just a terrible color combo, the specsh has a weird organic vibe like you’re wearing cora alien coral on your head.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Was a decent smash hey. Helmet has hits front and rear and I needed a CT scan on my head and neck to get the all clear. It was a bike path collision with another rider when I was on my way to the pub. Other fellow was stuck behind a group of slower riders, didn't see me coming and pulled out to overtake and we went head on at like 20kph each. Didn't even have time to touch the brakes. He was knocked out cold and needed an ambulance.

Obviously can't say for certain that MIPS made any difference but having no symptoms and getting the all clear from the docs and walking away with just bruises is a pretty happy outcome from a crash on hard surfaces with multiple head impacts. I felt the helmet 'slip' on contact with the ground, much like if the straps were too loose but was much less violent than I expected. All in all 12/10 - would wear for my next lawndart into concrete again

View attachment 190377

That's the front of my lid. Its supposed to be symmetrical obviously.

View attachment 190378

Back all scuffed up as well, plus a bit of impact damage.
Glad you are ok. I was just curious as I just destroyed a non mips DH Full Face helmet last fall on a pretty big crash and it didn't have mips but that crash was a wrestling type head dive on a rock so no slippage there was possible.

I got myself a mips FF helmet since all the decent ones have them now. Also local had a poc bro deal so there is also that.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
My girlfriend proposed we go to Maribor to see the World Cup live even though she is afraid of taking her bike off road (she literally can't turn on berms). I am also allowed to keep all my bikes in our flat and I can go biking whenever I want. She also doesn't find me annoying. So jackpot.

The other axis is obvious.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
not sure how this turned into another MIPS thread, but anything that makes helmet safer, I'm down for. Bell/giro have that weird spherical thing which is pretty cool. Not sure if anybody has played with one, but the outer shell literally pivots/glides on the inner one, just like MIPS. Haven't owned one, but I had a non-MIPS helmet save my head and own both MIPS and non, so I'm not sold that i really need it. Again, if it makes things safer then I'm for it, but if it just makes things more expensive then I'm not sure.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
The Spesh Ambush has a minimalist MIPS implementation that is neither annoying nor noisy.
interesting. I have an ambush, and find the squeaking noise very annoying. doesn't stop me wearing it though.
The new one is the definition of fugliness though :bad:
beauty is in the eye of the beholder I guess. if its the colour palate you object to, mine is a simple metallic dark gray, so maybe that makes a difference?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
My wife didn't appreciate my bright orange long sleeve and new purple shorts I was wearing on a ride recently :(

Feb 21, 2020
SoCo Western Slope
Aluminum, steel, trunnion mount, 20+ fasteners, 10lbs, and over $6k for the frame only (no shock).
Weed must be expensive in Australia..... :drag:

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Aluminum, steel, trunnion mount, 20+ fasteners, 10lbs, and over $6k for the frame only (no shock).

I still want it.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I love shopping the specials, but there is no way I could pay money for that.
I guess if I was riding in hunting areas.......
I Know the color combo is basically a bastard child of Nickelback and Papa Johns Pizza but if it pissess off the "wear black or flanel or GTFO" crew I don't mind. I find it funny people who dress like unemployed lumberjacks somehow want to be fashion police in our tiny sport. At least grow some balls and be proper fashion police. Give people shit for improper clothing sizes, bad color blocking, wrong materials. Amateurs.

Also it was cheap. If I want to look good I wear a suit. Not a bike helmet.

Last edited:

Leafy

Monkey
Sep 13, 2019

That price might be ok if it came with the cassette in a box gearbox or a pinion.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007

nice style :thumb:
Even my 23 yeard old self who bought purple leopard print shoes would call this design a crime against humanity.

Who is this for? A pimp turned small town mall tatoo artist? I'm glad to live in EU where shit like that is illegal.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
Even my 23 yeard old self who bought purple leopard print shoes would call this design a crime against humanity.

Who is this for? A pimp turned small town mall tatoo artist? I'm glad to live in EU where shit like that is illegal.
Rapha is an EU company…or maybe it isn’t now after Brexit, U.K. certainly.

and the brain dead collab is looking at brands like Arcteryx, Palace and Salomon who’ve crossed the world of a very online fan base and an outdoors product. It’s not for everyone (in context of price, colour and purpose of use) but what good things are?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The company certainly began life in London and AFAIK their clothing is still designed there but much of it is manufactured in China but a few years ago the company was bought by American owners. Rapha started life as a high quality stylish designer road clothing brand and their pricing although not absolutely mental kept it fairly exclusive. Their clothing is still good quality and most of it is actually tasteful and fairly understated/conservative with just the odd outlandish hideous item in their range.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
The company certainly began life in London and AFAIK their clothing is still designed there but much of it is manufactured in China but a few years ago the company was bought by American owners. Rapha started life as a high quality stylish designer road clothing brand and their pricing although not absolutely mental kept it fairly exclusive. Their clothing is still good quality and most of it is actually tasteful and fairly understated/conservative with just the odd outlandish hideous item in their range.

Didn’t know about the American buy out.
The times I’ve aquired Rapha:
• A box sale, queued for over an hour, got some jeans that were far too long in the leg and a few jerseys. Ended up selling it all on on eBay and making a tidy sum.
• A free cap when they launched the Manchester Cycle Club. Gave it to a friend since I never road a peakless helmet at the time.
• A huge haul at the local Cyclists Against Cancer charity bike shop (well worth searching out) and I still have the bib shorts, technical shirt, winter jersey and a few other bits. Cost about £100 for 5 items which is impossibly good value.

if you can get it on a good deal the quality is certainly up to snuff.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
lol. the times i've acquored rapha; never. the times i've acquired $20 surplus shorts and $20 4-packs of white cotton t's: every other year or so. people are fooling themselves if they think they "need" more.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I find shorts/trousers not designed to be pedalled in normally feel like shit after an hour of pedalling, plus the crotch is more likely to wear thin quick. And a standard cotton tee with zero sweat wicking quality manages to be clingy, baggy, warm and cold all at the same time in my experience.

If you’re comfy riding in your surplus shorts and white tees, then good for you - but it doesn’t work for me when doing anything above a casual ride.

jstuhlman

bagpipe wanker
Dec 3, 2009
Cackalacka du Nord
to each their own, i guess, eh? i live in the south and have tried "tech/wicking" stuff in the summer. didn't really see a difference. and no matter what i wear for shorts, the ass always wears through first. and yeah, i hate chamois too. boxers all the way.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
i live in the south
Well there's your problem. I swear, riding in TX, AR, OK in the summer time as I have, there is no fabric that's going to wick, you will become a human sweat rag in about 10 min max. I assume it's the same or worse in the more forested/vegetation in the SE mountains like Carolinas and such. Your body can't keep up, let alone putting some fabric on top of it.

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/

and the brain dead collab is looking at brands like Arcteryx, Palace and Salomon who’ve crossed the world of a very online fan base and an outdoors product. It’s not for everyone (in context of price, colour and purpose of use) but what good things are?
technically it’s an american owned company, main owners are the walmart heirs, the ones responsible for turning bentonville into a huge bike park (and the main reason that there is even rapha mtb apparel)

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Well there's your problem. I swear, riding in TX, AR, OK in the summer time as I have, there is no fabric that's going to wick, you will become a human sweat rag in about 10 min max. I assume it's the same or worse in the more forested/vegetation in the SE mountains like Carolinas and such. Your body can't keep up, let alone putting some fabric on top of it.
I just ride shirtless...I'd go shortless but chaffing might get me and black Sox 5;10's and gloves with a lid might scare everyone off...
Plus no barrier between the fox doss dropper and it's violent movement , might just ask it to buy me dinner.