Quantcast

New Bike Products

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Perhaps he just took a guess while day dreaming about motocross while watching an 8yr old kid ride his scooter? If you have an idea you think might work sometimes have to just take a punt and TBF stem height isn't actually all that critical as grip height it can always be achieved with the use of different rise bars and fine tuned with the use of small headset spacers.
Ok Gary,on your current EBike. If he sent one off to you to field test,would you try it out and give a Proper Scottish review?

Avy

Avy

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Ok Gary,on your current EBike. If he sent one off to you to field test,would you try it out and give a Proper Scottish review?

Avy

Avy
Nope. But mainly because I'm 5'11" and my Ebike isn't IMO long enough for the theory to work well (435mm reach). Basically stem would shorten that bike too much for me. And that's my longest bike.

Do bear in mind that one other positive of this dude's stem idea is that it also partly solves the modern geo issue of very few folk riding actual elbows out anymore. Y'know like we pretty much all did a decade or so ago. Just like all the current debating on cutting down bars on longer reach modern enduro bikes to match the ideals of a very fast Canadian Enduro gnome.

If you're desperate to try it. Just fit a cheap set of bmx cruiser bars and a short cruiser stem. Fit the stem backwards and roll the bars forwards to enable you to place the grips inline with the steerer. Mimicking this dude's set up.
Hell you can buy a used complete cruiser for a fraction the price of that the stem. Borrow the bars n stem and resell it all when you're done experimenting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So,what do you guys think,Fuck? Thanks for the Link.

Avy

No different than risers that have been used on motorcycles forever. They work well on a 500lb that vehicle doesn't need you to move your weight around all that much. Couldn't watch the full video after hearing some complete pseudo-science bullshit like the stem moving the steering axis closer to the apex. The steering axis is determined by where the fucking headtube is, not the handlebars. Also the apex of a corner has absolutely nothing to do with bike geometry, it is the line you take.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I've always considered the big channels like Seth and GMBN as entertainment (and blatant product placement in the case of the latter) aimed more towards beginners rather than anyone even vaguely savy.
As for Seth not having a clue I guess after a few years it must become challenging trying to fill 10minute videos every few days with original mountain bike content. So yeah. When you're gifted a random part NO ONE is ever going to buy you might as well just make shit up, eh? :boss:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
No different than risers that have been used on motorcycles forever. They work well on a 500lb that vehicle doesn't need you to move your weight around all that much. Couldn't watch the full video after hearing some complete pseudo-science bullshit like the stem moving the steering axis closer to the apex. The steering axis is determined by where the fucking headtube is, not the handlebars. Also the apex of a corner has absolutely nothing to do with bike geometry, it is the line you take.

ssshhhhhhhhhhh

The entire business model relies on people not knowing how bikes work :rofl:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Things I'll never buy: (unless I am a mega rich IT guy that ripped off everyone else's AI algorithms and then exploited it to become super rich so I could buy useless bike parts)

1) Titanium cranks with a bunch of mud holding holes in it. The smaller drag coefficient against my shoe is totally worth it!

2) A stem that doesn't make sense. And probably has mud holding holes in it. Look! I can lean my bike now! Oh wait, but I still have to learn how to turn. Booo...

3) What else? "Caliper Bearings" Seems like something we need. Mud holding holes only available in limited quantities.

:D

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Things I'll never buy: (unless I am a mega rich IT guy that ripped off everyone else's AI algorithms and then exploited it to become super rich so I could buy useless bike parts)

1) Titanium cranks with a bunch of mud holding holes in it. The smaller drag coefficient against my shoe is totally worth it!

2) A stem that doesn't make sense. And probably has mud holding holes in it. Look! I can lean my bike now! Oh wait, but I still have to learn how to turn. Booo...

3) What else? "Caliper Bearings" Seems like something we need. Mud holding holes only available in limited quantities.

Do these "Caliper Bearings" come in purple ano? Asking for a friend.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Do these "Caliper Bearings" come in purple ano? Asking for a friend.
Yes! Our expert team of colour-way pros gave us approval for not only purple ano, but root beer and oil slick! So sick! At least that's what the Product Manager said it would be... But I'm not really sure he knows what a caliper or a bearing is. I guess that's for Engineering to figure out!

Avy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2006
Yes! Our expert team of colour-way pros gave us approval for not only purple ano, but root beer and oil slick! So sick! At least that's what the Product Manager said it would be... But I'm not really sure he knows what a caliper or a bearing is. I guess that's for Engineering to figure out!

Yeah,with there fucking spreadsheets!

Avy

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved

Look how much confidence can be inspired, so composed in the rough stuff!
See it every year there , there's a lot of grassroots racers giving it a shot...it can get pretty entertaining... I ran a dude over on practice there, he decided to go left instead of beginner line...went down on rocks I went over him (so did buddy behind me)..he was fine we saw him at pits later...

jekyll991

Monkey
Nov 30, 2009
Belfry, KY
See it every year there , there's a lot of grassroots racers giving it a shot...it can get pretty entertaining... I ran a dude over on practice there, he decided to go left instead of beginner line...went down on rocks I went over him (so did buddy behind me)..he was fine we saw him at pits later...
Apparently that's the owner/design of the raised reversed™ stem, the one who has won races using his amazing new technology.