Quantcast

New bike this year and I need some opinions

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I've gotten the blessings from the wife to purchase a new ride toward the end of this year. If I can hold out I might wait for the 2008 models to get a good deal on a 2007. But then again, I might not wait because I am obsessed and impatient and you never know what will sell out.

I currently ride a 2006 Transition Preston FR but it isn't a good fit for myself. At over 190 pounds fully geared up, I'm no lightweight rider and the Preston suspension design seems fit for someone a little more on the light side. And I'm nearly 6'5" so losing weight isn't much of an option. I bottom out the rear shock (Swinger 4-Way) on almost every ride - and I'm not talking about big drops. Even a good standing bunny hop can cause it to hit bottom. Heavy roots and rocks on a trail will do the same thing, along with jumps and drops. I've put on a 650 lb spring and the air pressure on the shock is at 170 lbs. The thing is stiff.

So I'm looking to get something with a little more travel to compensate for this and to allow me to ride without worrying about hearing that awful bottom-out sound.

I want something as versatile as the Preston, but with the extra room to push the suspension through. A majority of my riding is rooty and rocky singletrack, with stops along the way to hit drops and stunts. Occasionally I'll go urban and hit stairs and other ledge drops.

I'll have $3000.00 to spend.

Here's what I am considering:

Transition Dirtbag: Might as well keep it in the family if I can. The Dirtbag is the bike I wish I would have gotten had I done a little more research and known what I was after. I think it'll do fine on the longer trail rides but also have the suspension to allow me to hit the bigger stuff. I'd go with the Marzocchi 66RC2 if I made this choice.

Specialized SX Trail I: This seems like a little more of an all-purpose bike than the Dirtbag but I don't know if it'll be too similar to the Preston. It looks to have 1.5" inches more travel than the Preston so that's good at least. If anyone can give me feedback on how this bike handles a rider around my weight I would appreciate it. The sub-human blathering on MTBR's review page is useless.

Kona Coiler Deluxe: My friend has one of these and it rides like a Buick compared to my Preston, which is more like a Civic. I'm confident this will be able to take the hits and I've seen my buddy put tons of miles on it.

Yeti AS-X: Another friend of mine I rode with used one of these and like the Coiler, there was a world of difference between the Preston and the AS-X. And like my other friend, I've also seen the Yeti on long rides and it does really well.

I can't even put them in order I'm so torn. I'd have to say though that the AS-X and the Dirtbag would be highest on the list.

I'd appreciate anyone's opinion, especially first-hand bias.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
it really depends what you're doing. if you're looking to go almost entirely downhill with some drawn out but not aggressive climbs, then the dirtbag would likely be a better fit. i have an asx and it has been a good bike, but not great. i have a ton of fun with it when it has the downhill wheels on, but because my build is heavy, whenever i throw on the light wheels, i can pedal uphill for days, but it pulls a ton of wheelies and feels unbelievably unbalanced on the downhills. at your weight, you'll notice flex in the yeti's rear triangle. it isn't the stiffest design, and although it has worked well for the most part for me, some heavier guys i know have had huge complaints about it. the dirtbag is known to suit heavier riders pretty well, so i'd go that route. the sx trail seems like a nice ride and everyone that owns one loves it, but i don't have experience with it.

I haven't ridden a dirtbag, but have a bottlerocket and know how quality a product transition makes so I doubt you could go wrong with a DB.

I did have an SX Trail and still wish I had one. Climbs great, soaks up everything. You won't bottom that bike with the right spring on it. I'm 195-200 and 6'2. Corners well, is stable at speed, pedals amazing for 6.7 inchs of travel, and jumps good. My bottlerocket probably corners better and pedals better then the sx, but the sx is plusher no doubt and more stable on big drops/at high speed in the rough stuff.

AS-X: been there done that and did not like it at all. That being said, I had a crappy fork on it and did not take the time to set up the rear shock so take my opinion on it for what it is worth.

arboc!

Turbo Monkey
Dec 18, 2004
spokane, WA
dirtbag is sick, but a bit on the heavy side. if you dont mind a few extra pounds its definitely the illest bike for the money.

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
I have a sx and its fun,but a little hefty . Try a heavier spring .
I got a 700 on mine when fox said a 550 would do .
If your set on spending , i'd get a coiler .

sneakysnake

Monkey
Apr 2, 2006
NC
Have you thought about either an iron horse 6. or 7.? I've heard wonderful things about both of them, however no real experience other than pedaling the 7. around the parking lot.

Just something to think about.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for all the recommendations so far. The feedback on the AS-X is surprising - it seems like a very capable bike.

I do love the SX Trail. It looks more agile than the Dirtbag and that's attractive but I'd want to make sure I could set it up plush without going through the travel. And it's not like I'm going to be doing 10 foot drops or anything super gnarly. It's just my experience with the Preston leaves me wanting a little more travel and not so stiff of a shock.

Have you thought about either an iron horse 6. or 7.? I've heard wonderful things about both of them, however no real experience other than pedaling the 7. around the parking lot.
My concern with the Iron Horse series is that given the prices of the tiers, I'd have to settle for the lowest-end model of the 7. or 6. and what I'd get for my money at that point seems less than if I was to go with another company.

Beef Cake said:
I have a sx and its fun,but a little hefty . Try a heavier spring. I got a 700 on mine when fox said a 550 would do .
If your set on spending , i'd get a coiler .
How much do you weigh, Beef Cake? Is the 700 pound spring very stiff on that bike? I want to be able to enjoy the plush feeling of a good full suspension - that's why I ask.

mace2

Chimp
Oct 27, 2004
I would say out of those 4 choices, take the SX Trail. You said you're not going to be doing 10 foot drops or whatever... so I don't really see a point in getting the Dirtbag. It'll be much heavier than the SX Trail, and it doesn't sound like you need it.

The ASX is a nice bike but I think its suspension design has been outclassed in the last couple of years. Kona I don't really like but I've never ridden one, so no comments there.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I just noticed the SX Trail has the same amount of rear travel as the Dirtbag. For some reason I thought it had less. That definitely makes it a stronger contender than before.

If any SX Trail owners can let me know their weight, their spring rate, and their opinions that would be awesome.

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
With your size and usage, you might find that the SX Trail fits better than the D'Bag. With the usage you described, I'd look more towards the SX. If you were riding more drops/jumps/steep & gnarly, then the D'Bag might be better. I am around your same height and the Iron Horse bikes just did not fit me well at all. You might want to check one out though. One other option might be a Norco Six.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
haha, after checking out the Iron Horse specs, I'm ready to get something different. Nah, I have no money but seriously that '07 7point5 is a SWEET build and frame. Weight is stated to be 41lbs. That's about what you're riding now I think but it's waaaay more travel and cushyness.

$3099:
downcycles.com
rscycle.com

And I don't know about the weight, but maybe you could find a deal on a Demo 7? :rockout:

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Yeah that 7.5 is certainly nice. I've never really looked into them but that 7.5 is definitely a nice bike. I would definitely need first-hand feedback on how it would suit me before seriously considering it though.

On a side note, I found this insightful comment on the SX Trail I over at MTBR.com:

Bike Setup: stock(gay)
Bottom Line: dont get it its super gay and for deuches
Welp. I better not get the SX Trail :nerd:

(Seriously considering the SX Trail)

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
I got it set up stiff for big hits . I'm 250lbs and the 700 feels almost perfect , if i were going dh maybe 650 would be better . Its super fun but , Climbing anything steep sucks cause its 41.5 . I got some mods to beef it up . Deity stem/ cranks, deemax rear , deetrax front , saint rear, el norte bar and post .
I don't think if you got any of the bikes you listed you'd complain about'm . Norco 6, Coiler, ASX, Reign, SXT, Iron horse 7.7, Nomad, Trek 77, Chapperal and Bullit are all sick.
I'm realy looking at getting a VP free frame :brows: .
GOOD LUCK:cheers:

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I think it's going to be between the SX Trail and the Dirtbag and it's going to be a very tough decision. I've got to get in touch with the guy I know who rides a Dirtbag so I can spend some more time on one and I'll have to find a shop who will order a SX Trail for me to test out without any commitment to buy.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
Bottom line, my SX trail is awsome. I ride with people who have morewoods, demos, bighits, and yeties and they all coment on how much they like my bike. The quality is top notch, the geo is spot on, and and it corners like nothing.

The fork (66) on the 07' SXT 1 is 160mm if you want 180mm all you have to do is move a spacer from the top out spring to the top of the fork. Even though it voids the waranty I would do it. What specialized doesnt know wont hurt them.

I am about 180lbs. and have a 250lb spring. the sag is exactly where it is suposed to be. going to a 350 or 400 should stiffen it up good enough. The SXtail 1 has a DHX4.0, if you do have a problem bottoming out, it can be sent to fox and they can upgrade it with the bottom out adjustment of the 5.0.

The only problem you may have with specialized is the customer service (they suck). Eventhough if you get it through your LBS they have to deal with it. If you get a Transition you know the customer service is good.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I am about 180lbs. and have a 250lb spring. the sag is exactly where it is suposed to be. going to a 350 or 400 should stiffen it up good enough. The SXtail 1 has a DHX4.0, if you do have a problem bottoming out, it can be sent to fox and they can upgrade it with the bottom out adjustment of the 5.0.
Have you had any problems with bottoming out the shock?

Edit: I just talked to my LBS and they informed me that the large 2007 SX Trail One is gone for good - Specialized is out of them. So if I go with the SXT it'll have to be next year's model, which hopefully won't have a higher price tag.

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I have bottomed it before, only because I boosted way too hard and missed the tranny. I woulnt consider that a problem. Ride fast and smooth and you will love this bike.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
looked at the spec bighits lately. the higher end model is actually pretty pimp and not that pricy. slap a front der on there and a bash and its an easy contender with the sxt

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
looked at the spec bighits lately. the higher end model is actually pretty pimp and not that pricy. slap a front der on there and a bash and its an easy contender with the sxt
I think the Big Hit and Demo series exceed my needs (and capabilities). I do more pedaling than hucking so I need something a little lighter and more agile than either of those bikes.

Jun 20, 2007
I have an AS-X and I love it. It is super strong, super capable of drops, good on skinnies, good descender, and for all of the beef, it climbs amazingly well. This is a really great all around bike and I love it. For normal trail riding it does not seem like it has 7" rear travel (in the good way), but when you take a big hit the 7" is super helpful.

Transfer

Monkey
Jan 23, 2004
Seattle, WA
Yeah I vote AS-X. You get the best spec build (by far in my opinion) for the price, 6.4 or 7.1 inches rear travel, decent frame weight, and that sweeeeet white/silver paint job. :)

I love mine and after hucking around lately it's so smooth. My only complaint is the creaking bottom bracket, but that's my fault. I'm overhauling it this weekend. I would easily get one again for the price and the type of riding I like to do.

I got soured with Transition's short stroke suspension designs with my 05 Preston (even the shop owner warned me the ratio is just too high), and I really personally don't like the SXT1 build. Just my thoughts.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I'm coming off an AS-X and could have EP'd an SX Trail. I bought a Giant X1 instead and am really impressed. The rear suspension handles square edge hits better then my FSR bikes did and it doesn't squat as much. Geometry wise it's got a BB even lower then the SX trail and the wheelbase is just as long.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Having ridden a Bottlerocket, SX Trail, ASX, and 7point5, I can say hands down the SX Trail is my favorite. It feels like a mini-DH bike. The Bottlerocket would no doubt be more fun on jumps, but I just feel at home pinning on the SXT. The ASX has nasty pedal feedback and IMO rides horribly, and my friend's 7point just feels too heavy and dead.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
I'm coming off an AS-X and could have EP'd an SX Trail. I bought a Giant X1 instead and am really impressed. The rear suspension handles square edge hits better then my FSR bikes did and it doesn't squat as much. Geometry wise it's got a BB even lower then the SX trail and the wheelbase is just as long.
Yea, definitely check into the Reign X series. I love mine. Like an SX trail...but better in almost every way (IMO):

-Equally slack headangle, with a lower BB
-lower price tag
-better seatpost adjustment
-lower COG
-better suspension design, both for pedaling and bump absorbtion

There is more too, but I've gotta run

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
I was looking at this Dirtbag review page here, which has their review build at the bottom. Chances are by the time I'm ready to buy this thing, the '08 models will be out and I might be able to find a closeout deal on the '07 frame. Transition is selling the '06 frame for $700 right now so I'd expect the '07 closeout to be similar. It would be nice if the closeout frames are still available with the different rear shock options so that would have to be investigated.

I could probably take the build on that review page and put together a very nicely priced Dirtbag using that as a guide. I'd substitute the 888 forks for the 66 RC2 and replace those Dave's Speed Dream wheels with Singletracks or another less expensive but nice wheelset and ditch the Shinburgers for something lighter. And the Avid 7 brakes would probably have to be switched for something more affordable (depending on the closeout price of the frame).

Frame: 2007 Transition Dirtbag w/ Roco TST-R
Fork: 2006 Marzocchi 888rc2x
Rear Shock: 2007 Marzocchi Roco TST-R
Shifter: SRAM X.9 (front & rear)
Derailleur: SRAM X.0 Med-cage (rear) SRAM X-Gen (front)
Crankset: DMR eXtype
BB: Race Face X-Type
Chainrings: Blackspire 24/32 w/Blackspire PC Bash
Cassette: SRAM PG990 11-34
Chain: SRAM PC991
Chainguide: Blackspire Dewlie
Handlebar: Deity 31.8
Headset: FSA Pig Pro DH 1.5 - 1 1/8 reducer
Stem: Marzocchi Integrated
Brakes: Avid Juicy 7 Hydro (8" front & rear) w/ Dangerboy Levers
Wheels: Dave's Speed Dream's (Chris King Hubs, Halo Combat rims, 32h)
Tires: Maxxis Minion 2.7 F / Maxxis Mobster 2.5 R
Tubes: Maxxis DH 2.25mm
Grips: ODI Ruffian Lock-on w/ Dangerboy endcaps
Seat: WTB Pure V SLT
Seatpost: Race Face Diabolus
Pedals: Brooklynn Machine Works "Shinburger's"

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Have you been lifting weights? Caus that sounds like a really heavy build. Isn't the Dirtbag something like 11lbs? Or did it lighten up for 07?

Anyway, I like CJ's suggestion of the Reign X. Much lighter, more pedal friendly.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
That Dirtbag build I threw together was just around the 40 lb mark and if I was able to find the '07 frame in the right size and on closeout, the price would be well below $3k.

The Giant Reign X series seems nice but damn that shock design throws the whole bike off for me. Maybe the 2008 model will get rid of that. I'd have to go with the X1 rather than the nicer X0 but the reviews of the X1 are positive enough. I also can't get it out of my mind that it's just a burly cross country bike, and not a light freeriding bike. There's a difference to me.

I'm glad I started obsessing about this early. It's going to be a tough decision :)

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I also can't get it out of my mind that it's just a burly cross country bike, and not a light freeriding bike. There's a difference to me.
Go ride one, it's not a cross country bike. Frame weight is about 9.5lbs. It feels alot like a demo.

Dirtbag is a cool bike but it's a different animal. What are you looking for geometry wise? Dirtbag is a taller bike, while the Reign X, SXT, and Bottlerocket are all long and low.

Del

Monkey
Feb 20, 2004
Alexandria, VA
Go ride one, it's not a cross country bike. Frame weight is about 9.5lbs. It feels alot like a demo.

Dirtbag is a cool bike but it's a different animal. What are you looking for geometry wise? Dirtbag is a taller bike, while the Reign X, SXT, and Bottlerocket are all long and low.
Oh I'll check it out for sure. It'd be hard not to with so many people raving about it. From what I read on the mtbr.com reviews it's tough to find one these days and I'd probably get the 2008 model because of that. A store near me carries them so I'll hit them up once next year's models come out.

I'm not really sure what kind of geometry I want. Being able to go fast is important, both downhill and on flat. I don't really care about uphills - I see no shame in walking a heavy bike up a hill but I climb when I can. I want to be able to hit drops and stunts when I come to them with confidence. I don't go crazy huge on hucks - no ten foot drops or monstrous gaps but I do like to do modest stuff. I need a bike to corner well on tight singletrack and feel nimble on the trails.