Quantcast

new bling

ok, just ordered a black Soul Cycles Hardline frame, and will be building it up SS with a 2001 z.1. I'm debating on what component to splurge on initially. I'm trying to decide between a chris king rear hub, hope m4 brakes, magura marta brakes (really nice, even if most of you are magura haters), or middleburn cranks. depending which item i decide on i'll get some avid mech. brakes, or a XT/rhynolite rear wheel, or LX/XT cranks. what would you suggest i get for it. most of these parts will be added on eventually.

:monkey:

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Why not just opt for a bunch of good all round components intsead of one blinging component and then good stuff to surround the one bling thing with?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
MMcG said:
Why not just opt for a bunch of good all round components intsead of one blinging component and then good stuff to surround the one bling thing with?
:stupid: unless ya got the dough for the king hub, hopes, middleburns and other fancy crap at once, just buy a whole bunch of nice parts, instead of 1 boutique part and a bunch of crap. well maybe just buy hopes :thumb:

maybe i'm being misunderstood, the other parts arent going to be low end, i'd break low end stuff, one of those components i was willing to spend a little more on. I have a thompson stem, going to buy a king headset, i have the z.1 and a front wheel already. LX or XT cranks aren't low end. I hate not having brakes that work well (heard good things about the hopes). I've run shimano hubs almost my whole riding career, and have gone through many of them.

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
For a single speed you won't need the M4s. Get a pair of Mono Minis at most, and then get something like a DT Hugi or Ringle hub (not quite King status, but tons better than Shimano hubs).

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Something to think about: most of those components bolt right up to the bike. But the rear hub will require a complete wheel rebuild including new nips and spokes.

Based on that, I'd splurge on the rear hub initially to avoid the pain of later having to rebuild the wheel - which, if you can't do yourself, could put your bike out of commission for a while.