Quantcast

NEW BRAKES? Hope Vs. Hayes

JK:UK

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
I am from UK and everyone here runs Hopes...pretty much everyone anyway

i keep having probs with leaking hopes..either cos i squeeze to hard when im scared! or when i crash and damage the reservoir.

ive had other probs with pulling really hard with hopes and then too much modulation

im tempted to get some hayes. 8". which ones are best for DH? carbon recommended? are they really as on / off as people say?

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
having owned both hopes & hayes, i prefer the modulation of the hopes. i had reliability issues with my early (1st gen) hopes, but my m4's (last years) and mono6ti's have been stellar. the hayes that i've used have tended to have less modulation than i like (ie on/off), though this characteristic has varied depending on pad compound & setup... with the kickass hope pricing in the uk, i'd definately go that route - upgrade to some new monos.

DLo

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
South Bay Area, CA
Originally posted by xy9ine
having owned both hopes & hayes, i prefer the modulation of the hopes. i had reliability issues with my early (1st gen) hopes, but my m4's (last years) and mono6ti's have been stellar. the hayes that i've used have tended to have less modulation than i like (ie on/off), though this characteristic has varied depending on pad compound & setup... with the kickass hope pricing in the uk, i'd definately go that route - upgrade to some new monos.
What year were your hopes? I M4's (bought in 02) seem to need to be bled yearly or something..

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
i run on hardtail. 1x c2, 1x mini
on f/s. 2x m4

so i have an understanding of hopes. im saying if i dont like the total modulation of the hopes is it wise to step to hayes?

when im dhing, it takes too long for the brake to kick in for me. i start overshooting (cos i brake late), i also find hopes are spongy, and often i can pull the lever v. far back, just so i can stop.

are hayes less like this?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by JK:UK

are hayes less like this?
Sounds like your Hopes aren't working well...but yeah, Hayes are less like that when both systems are working 100%. They're a good solid system and you can't go wrong with them.

I like my Hopes, personally.

MD

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
i've had hopes for 3 years. and i only notice it when going pretty fast and trying to brake. although they aren't now working as good as they were / should. my hayes mates recommend them big time to me...and they're miles faster!

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by KleinMp99
Get some old shimano 4 pot xt's......the best brake by far. Hayes and hope cant compare to the geniuses at shimano.
Yeah, I gotta admit the 6" XTs I've got on my trail bike feel real nice....not as nice as my Hopes mind you but pretty sweet...love to try the 8" XTs.

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
UK
ok so hayes it is.

which ones do i go for?

which ones have carbon levers, are they recommended for dh?

thanks people :D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Just get the standard Hayes Mags (or the Mag Plus, which I think have carbon levers, and might only come in 6" rotors.) In any case, my point is...DON'T get HFX-9s.

MD

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Originally posted by MikeD
Just get the standard Hayes Mags (or the Mag Plus, which I think have carbon levers, and might only come in 6" rotors.) In any case, my point is...DON'T get HFX-9s.

MD
Werd, 9's suck. That bleeder plug thing, WTF?!

Hayes Mags should be great mate:D

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If you think Hopes are too mushy, stay away from XTs.

Not to sound like a c0ck, but this is discussed, hashed, and rehashed at least once a month on the board. You can find all this information if you use the search feature.

MD