Quantcast

New Build Help?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hey, I decided that rather than polluting the 24" o' love thread I'd start a new one real quick.

I'm gettin' a Fall Guy soon, and I need to order some parts. I need wheels, cranks, pedals, tires, seat/post, and maybe a few other odds and ends.

I'm probably getting Profiles for cranks, since the bike comes w/ a Profile BB anyways. I can't decide on whether or not to splurge on a Ti spindle. How much lighter is it anyways? Also, what length cranks should I get? I've got size 11 or 11.5 shoes, and I ride in the middle of my feet. Will I have clearance w/ a 175mm crankset or should I go 170? My thinking is if I just go 175mm I can go for Madera cranks which are cheaper, since they don't come in 170mm.

Next, I need to figure out what fork to run. I've got both an 80mm Z1 III from last year and an 80mm MX Comp from last year as well. What should I run? I'm leaning towards the Z1 for strength, but will it be too heavy for my scrawny self?

Next, I've gotta figure out wheels. I'm gonna run an Odyssey Hazard rear hub, and either a QR or 20mm hub depending on fork. What do you guys think about Rhyno Lite XL wheels w/ 36h rear, 32h front, and alloy nips w/ DT butted spokes? Will the rear black rim work OK w/ brakes? Will it get all scratched? Does Sun make a silver Rhyno Lite XL 24" rim like they do for 26"?

Then comes tires. I think I'll either be on Kenda Kniptons or Kenda K-rads. I think I'll get a set of both. Does that sound good?

For pedals I think I'll run Odyssey of some sort, as they seem to be a good deal. Any other BMX pedals that are a blend of weight, performance, and price I should consider? Primos aren't grippy enough IMO so...

I've got an I-beam seat already so I think I'll just get an I-beam post for now, and then maybe later I'll get a Thomson and littler seat.

What brake pads do you guys run? I want a new set for my worn out Deores, but I have no clue what to get. Are Kool Stops good? What are the most powerful?

I'll probably have more questions along the way, but for now I'm finally done. :o:

Thanks a ton!

Red Bull

Turbo Monkey
Oct 22, 2004
For the cranks, Id say go for the Madera. The length shouldent be a problem seeing as this is a pure street and Dj bike and bmx'rs have been running 180's on wheels that are 4" smaller for years so the argument for clipping pedals doesent really apply.

You are gunna beat on this bike, the MX comp isnt going to last as long as you will wish and you will find yourself wanting to go 20mm at some point, just go that way from the start. (No im not biased, I rode a float on my dj bike for quite some time. Its nice on a 26" bike that doesent see as much abuse, but with a bike like that its a crime to not ride it hard.)Go for the Z1 III.

The Rhyno Lite XL pretty good in a strength to weight ratio. Thats probubly your best bet. Yes if you get black sidewalls they will wear off and no, i have no idea about them in silver (allthough I can't recall ever seeing them in 24"...or even 26" for that matter)

Tire options are good. If you have the money do that.

If you can find a deal on a pair, the Fly Ruebens are the best bmx pedal I have ever used. Thats my first suggestion.

I beam is the ****.

And I have no idea about sprokets or brake pads, so i'm no help there.

Thats the best i can do, im sick and bored.
good luck dood

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Awesome, thanks a ton. I think I'll go Madera and worst case I sell the arms and get 170mm Profiles.

One time I ordered RLXLs from my LBS and ended up w/ black on the bottom, silver sidewalls. I wish I could get those in 24"...

I'll check out those pedals and get the I-beam post I guess.

Thanks a ton!!!

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
i might know a place where you could score some profile arms fairly cheap.. i got my set with bb (s&m bearings, but profile spindle/hardware) for $150 shipped...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Hrm, my frame comes w/ bearings and hop-up kit so I only need the spindle and arms, which I think I can get for under $150.

If you send a link my way I'll definately check it out though...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Well for pedals the Rubens are a bit pricey, I'm looking at the Animal Sven Hamiltons. They look pretty nice.

Another thing, what's the deal with chains? I don't want a half-link chain, so where should I look for a regular 1/8" chain? Are basic KMCs OK?

basikbiker

Monkey
Jun 15, 2006
Northern Cali
id go with the 25 to 9 gearing if you can put a driver that small on the hub, demolition makes a good set of bmx pedals, go with the z1, as for rims black sidewalls don't stop as well, try for somthing silver in the back. for the front arrow makes a good 24 inch hoop the FRX, I beam seat for sure.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Meh, I'm running 25 by 11 or 12. On a 24" bike it's the same in gear inches as 25 by 9 on a 20".

I'll check out the Demolition pedals, and I want to find a silver-sidewall Rhyno Lite XL 24". I'm hoping I can.

I'm definately running a Rhyno Lite XL in the front, though, and I'm set on the I-beam.

zmtber

Turbo Monkey
Aug 13, 2005
hey you need a post i got one i will sell to you if it fits give me a pm (cheaper then your shop price I'm pretty sure)

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
this reply is just based on what I've experienced.

rhyno xl in 24" are the way to go. they are easy to find. universal cycles has them

fork: find an 03 sherman firefly tpc on ebay for $150-$200 and do the $15 spring mod, you'll be money then

pedals: danscomp sell mosh pedals that are sealed for around $25 or so. I got a set of these used a while back for $8 shipped. They are industructable. They've been on 4 bikes and I can't hurt them. I'm moving away from the mentality that the more you spend, the better it will be - esp on bmxish type stuff.

brakes: any v-brake besides the parallel push stuff, i.e. new XT, XTR, etc are going to work good. A trials buddy explained to me that the parellel push types don't hold up to fufanus, riding backwards, etc b/c of the linkage. a set of avid sd7s should work great. I'm running fiestas with the stock green pads and I like them. when they wear out, I'm getting the kool stop eagle IIs, or at least I think that's what they are called.

Tires: this is wide open. I'm running an arrow launch in the front and spec. compound in the back. I like it. It's all preference.

Ti spindle: it's a dramatic weight reduction from the cromo spindle. I would save up for one personally.

hope this helps.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
In 24" you can get Chrome Rhynolyte xl's. That is what you want for dialed rear braking.

Fall Guy's are retarded short and steep in the front end, so unless you plan on milling down your toes I'd go as short as you can in the crank department as well. With big feet and 175's you will have overlap issues just turning the bars let alone spinning them.

Landon

Monkey
Oct 20, 2004
SuspectDevice said:
Fall Guy's are retarded short and steep in the front end, so unless you plan on milling down your toes I'd go as short as you can in the crank department as well. With big feet and 175's you will have overlap issues just turning the bars let alone spinning them.
I think you are confusing the Fall Guy with something else.

The Fall Guy essentially fits like 21" BMX frame. I'm a 6 footer; 21" frames and the FG feel good to me. The Fall Guy is very low, but the TT length is far from the shortest I've ridden on a mountain bike style bike. It's definately an adult size bike. It's definately lower than any other mountain bike style bike I've tried.

71 degree HT angle isn't radically steep in my books.

As for tire to pedal clearance....I think it's pretty good on the FG. I ride 175s and have 10.5 feet. I put my foot back some on the pedal if I'm going to x-up, but but that's all I need. I've certainly tried bikes that x-ups let alone bar spins would be dangerous or impossible. The FG is not one of them.

I've ridden a couple bikes that I would apply your description to, but the Fall Guy is not one of them. Of course, to each their own...

L

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
rhyno xl in 24" are the way to go. they are easy to find. universal cycles has them
-Thanks, I'll check it out.
fork: find an 03 sherman firefly tpc on ebay for $150-$200 and do the $15 spring mod, you'll be money then
-I've already got a lowered Z1 so I'll stick with it for now, and in the future I may do that...

pedals: danscomp sell mosh pedals that are sealed for around $25 or so. I got a set of these used a while back for $8 shipped. They are industructable. They've been on 4 bikes and I can't hurt them. I'm moving away from the mentality that the more you spend, the better it will be - esp on bmxish type stuff.
-I'll check those pedals out. I came to the same conclusion about this bike. I don't "need" that $70 stem, or those $100 pedals. I'm going cheap and nice... at the same time. :D
brakes: any v-brake besides the parallel push stuff, i.e. new XT, XTR, etc are going to work good. A trials buddy explained to me that the parellel push types don't hold up to fufanus, riding backwards, etc b/c of the linkage. a set of avid sd7s should work great. I'm running fiestas with the stock green pads and I like them. when they wear out, I'm getting the kool stop eagle IIs, or at least I think that's what they are called.
Yeah, I'm gonna use my cheapo Deores.

Tires: this is wide open. I'm running an arrow launch in the front and spec. compound in the back. I like it. It's all preference.
I think I'll go for K-rads 'cause I'm used to them, and I can always change later.

Ti spindle: it's a dramatic weight reduction from the cromo spindle. I would save up for one personally.
Nice. I'll try. :o: Any idea what the difference is? Well I've picked up steel spindles before and it's crazy so...

kenjikuro

Chimp
Jan 14, 2006
bicyclist. why not try some other tires. for me i feel k-rad is abit too flimsy. its like when u land, the tires move alot. i heard the tioga fs100 is good.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I run high pressure, so I don't think it'll be an issue. Plus I'm light. If they don't work I'll definately try something else.

Ginger Ninja

Chimp
Oct 25, 2004
Australia
I've just built up some 24" Rhino XL wheels and the rims do have a machined braking surface. After looking at the website I thought they would be all black but they're not. Ask the distributor before you order them.

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
all black rhynos/stock fiesta pads pictured here:

several people rode my bike at the park tonight and were digging the brakes...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I think I'm gonna go all black 'cause chrome hasn't worked out for me on my BMX in the past.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
You can get Ryno Lite XL's in Chrome from Danscomp. If you run a black rim, it takes a little more time to wear in, once it does, it will work great. The paint will wear off where the brake pad's hit, but that's no big deal.

I wear 12.5 shoes, and I've had no clearence issues with a 175mm crank.

I agree with Tiles, Don't get the parallel push brakes. I've used them, and they are no good. They're expensive, and don't work nearly as well as regular V's. I've heard great things about SRAM V's, but I've never actually used them. About a year ago I bought a Shimano Deore V Brake, I used it on my old bike, and Now my Fall Guy. It works really well, and cost me like $12 at my LBS.

The Macneil Light Sprocket would be my first choice.

Kool Stop Eagle Claw II pads in Salmon work great!

I use a 65mm Z1 FRIII, and I absolutely love it.

As for pedals, I have a new favorite that I just put on my bike. They are the Animal Hamalton's. Check em out on Danscomp the come in lot's of cool colors, they come with 2 different length pin's, so you choose, they're pretty light, they come with a allen key to fit the pin's, and they cost right around $30! They feel great too!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Nice, I'll check out the Animals. I think I'll just stick to 170mm Profiles because I got a spindle off here used for $10, so it'll be a cheap system.

I work at an LBS so I ordered a 24" black rhyno lite XL w/ a machined sidewall for the rear, and I'm gonna find a black one online for the front. I also ordered a Hazard hub and I'm gonna get a Zoke hub soon.

I've already got a Deore V-brake I'm gonna use, just gotta get some pads. I'll check out the ones you recommended, Scurban.

I'm gonna lower my 80mm Z1 III a bit more, I think, to like 70mm instead of 80 or whatever.

Thanks a ton for all the help! Now hopefully my bike will be the dream I want it to be, for relatively cheap!

Mr Tiles

I'm a beer snob
Nov 10, 2003
L-town ya'll
they are welded so maybe. they are out of stock till mid-august.

I originally wanted a chrome rear rim but now that I've got the black sidewalled rim broken in a little, I think Leethal was right all along. The black sidewall polishes up nicely and it gives a lot of modulation with decent pads. No longer considering chrome or even machined sidewalls...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
For rims I'm going machined (not chrome) rear and black front, in my experience black rims don't brake as well. Whatever works for you.