Quantcast

New car recommendations with a few deets

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
every subaru owner I have ever known averages high 20's, my car averaged 27-28 mpg. I don't know about the new ones yet, but if they are averaging above 30 mpg I agree with you.
epa rating on the '12 imprezas is 27 city / 36 hwy.

test reports i've read are averaging around 31-32 combined.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
As with most cars from Deutschland, it ain't generally the drivetrain that's gonna send you to the poorhouse.
I believe in the UK (and maybe Europe) there's a recall for the injectors on PD140 and PD170 VAG engines. Which will cost you thousands if you have to pay for the work yourself.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I'd be surprised if you average 30 combined.
reports are coming back with a combined MPG of 31.5

Now, the 2012 Impreza is good for 27 mpg city by the EPA's reckoning. That's a massive step up, and during our time with the vehicle, we saw an honest 31.5 mpg combined. We know previous-generation Impreza owners who would perform all sorts of sinister acts to milk that kind of fuel economy from their thirsty boxer fours. Of course, those numbers come with a sacrifice. At 148 horsepower, the new 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine produces 22 less horsepower than the old 2.5-liter single-overhead cam lump. The story isn't much better when it comes to torque, with the 2012 model delivering 145 pound-feet to the 2011 version's 170 pound-feet.
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/12/15/2012-subaru-impreza-review/

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
most of my driving is highway. once i get mine, i'll let you know.
I'm 90% highway, and get about 29/30 in my 2010 Focus (4 cyl)....not sure what it's "supposed" to get, but I remember it being somewhere around 33-34. Granted it doesn't help I drive 80mph most of the time, often with a bike on the roof.

Regardless, 29/30 is a whole sh!tload better than the 12/13 I get in the Jeep, so I can't complain.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
I believe in the UK (and maybe Europe) there's a recall for the injectors on PD140 and PD170 VAG engines. Which will cost you thousands if you have to pay for the work yourself.
got the ones in my passat changed for free. one injector costs ca. 800,-€ w/o the work....

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Okay, without reading all the responses on this thread, when I was looking for a new car two years ago, I had pretty much the same requirements you have now. I finally settled on a Jetta Sportswagen. I would have loved a TDI, but my previous car had died, and there was a long wait-list for TDIs at the time, so I ended up with a gasoline powered engine. It gets decent mileage, I have a hitch rack on it, and I can cram so much crap in the back of that thing it isn't funny. At the time I was doing research on it, it had more cargo room in the back (with seats down) than any other wagon or small SUV, and a lot of mid-sized SUVs. It also has more room in it than the Passat. Anyway, it's fabulous in snow, and fun to drive, and I love it!!!!

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
epa rating on the '12 imprezas is 27 city / 36 hwy.

test reports i've read are averaging around 31-32 combined.
I have seen that, we'll see if they can pull that real world for most people.

I really like subaru's and sometimes wish I had bought one instead of my focus.

I took the focus snowboarding this weekend, both back seats folded down, 2 boards, boots, gear, cooler, etc. I am so used to my crew cab superduty, it was tight, but in all reality we still had plenty of space.

Averaged 34 mpg at 70 mph round trip. This did include some rural 55 mph roads, a trip to a small town for dinner, etc. Not too shabby, but with fords 40 mpg marketing claims I wish it would have done a little better. Also for reference my car is a stick shift, the new automatics actually get better mpg's.

Didn't hit any measureable amounts of snow, but in the few spots where there was some snow on the roads it drove fine.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
So Im in the final stages on buying and right now Im 95% set on the VW GLI Autobahn. After looking at and driving a ton of cars I found this one after driving and not liking the Jetta TDI wagon. I liked the gas mileage but everything else about that car just wasnt me. I testdrove the GLI and holy sheeeet is that thing fast. Good fuel economy for a turbo and plenty of trunk space. I've put a deposit into the dealer to get the car in so hopefully when it shows up itll be everything I want. I really tried to like the deisel version but it wasnt enough power for me. Only question now is how difficult it will be to get a hitch on it. Ill post some pictures when all is said and done.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I cant imagine being able to fit tired into the trunk area of the GTI with people in the car. I test drove the GTI to get a feel for what the GLI would be like but when I looked at the trunk I cant imagine fitting a backup pair of wheels in the trunk.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
My Outback just delivered 29MPG from Butte to Great Falls - this includes 2 passes and maybe 40 miles of mountain driving - with with AWD I set the cruise at 65 and never hit the brakes for 150 miles. Of course that's trying to save gas.

What I like best about AWD has nothing to do with MPGs or snow travel - I like the way I can throw the wagon into turns at 85 and come out at 90 when most drivers panic and hit the brakes. Its a kick ass experience that costs about 16MPG.

If I could get a WRX hatchback without all the stickers, spoilers & scoops I'd do it in a second. :)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
Man, if i had to get something new, i'd have a hard time deciding. I hate car payments, so i'd be looking for something older. I really dig the old honda accord wagons. There are a few of them for sale around here that are even 5 speed. I'd totally drive one of those, or even one of the old civic wagons. There are three of them for sale locally. A little more quirky, but better mileage. SOme of them are even awd.
It just sucks that subarus (older) don't get better mileage. I'd love to have a late 90's outback, but i'm weird. I'd put legacy suspension on it and some 18's and call it good.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC

Figured Id post a picture up of her. After looking for about two weeks it doesnt seem like a hitch is going to happen so Im looking into roof rack options. Really what gets the best gas mileage will win. I found Yakima's Wispbar and it seems really aerodynamic and lower than a few of the others.

Really didnt think I would pull the trigger on this car but its a little more grown up than my last and it just feels good to be in.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
You should have gotten a wagon :D

Don't understand why they would not sell a GLI Wagon. Tons of sporty Wagon models in Europe. Come on America.

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I'm 90% highway, and get about 29/30 in my 2010 Focus (4 cyl)....not sure what it's "supposed" to get, but I remember it being somewhere around 33-34. Granted it doesn't help I drive 80mph most of the time, often with a bike on the roof.

Regardless, 29/30 is a whole sh!tload better than the 12/13 I get in the Jeep, so I can't complain.
hey crabby, just a heads up. got my car monday. so far i'm averaging about 30mpg to/from work, but that's with the crossbars on, and averaging around 75mph on the hwy (which accounts for about 30 of the 35 miles I commute)

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
hey crabby, just a heads up. got my car monday. so far i'm averaging about 30mpg to/from work, but that's with the crossbars on, and averaging around 75mph on the hwy (which accounts for about 30 of the 35 miles I commute)
So basically exactly what I figured you might get?

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Word up. That's about what I get in the Focus (a tad lower with a bike on the roof). With no bike and driving like a grandma, I can get it up to 32ish mpg, but what's the fun in that?

For kicks I drove my Jeep to a friends house and back last weekend (about 75 miles each way), and promptly used up about 3/4 of a 20 gallon tank. No wonder I don't drive it that much.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Probably lower than nominal. Every car I've ever used the CC in struggles to shift/throttle ideally, especially when it comes to hills. Don't know if they're just crappy cruise controls or what.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
You should have gotten a wagon :D

Don't understand why they would not sell a GLI Wagon. Tons of sporty Wagon models in Europe. Come on America.
Looked at the impreza wagon (had no power at all), lancer sportback wagon (no manual trans), jetta sportwagon (also not that much power), and a few others. Don't get me wrong, I loved the practicality of a wagon, but I also really love speed so at the end of the day I sacrificed room. Also the trunk on this car is HUGE so I wont really have a problem carrying all my bike gear. Dealer also through in the plastic trunk carrier because they were good guys.

And as for the 2012 Jetta GLI hitch can you please link me to what you found? the GLI has a different rear bumper design than the standard Jetta so Im not 100% the standard jetta hitch will work. However if you have found something I owe you a beer sir.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Yeah, looked at the WRX wagon but the gas mileage on that made me cry a little inside. I do enough city driving id never be happy with it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Yeah, looked at the WRX wagon but the gas mileage on that made me cry a little inside. I do enough city driving id never be happy with it.
yea that's one of the big downsides. the base models got the full revamp, the wrx and sti only got the new body style, but same powertrain. from what i've read in 2013 the WRX is going to be split from the impreza and become its own model line.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
'bout what i was figuring too. it's still a bit more than a 30% improvement over the tacoma so i'm happy.

plus its fun as hell to drive.
what did you get?

Also on our subaru discussion I noticed that the impreza getting the 35 mpg rating is a CVT trans and a 140hp engine.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
what did you get?

Also on our subaru discussion I noticed that the impreza getting the 35 mpg rating is a CVT trans and a 140hp engine.
for the sake of preventing further derail, i'm gonna jump this discussion over to my thread.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/f2/rip-derp-truck-245924/index18/#post3739752

but yea, they lowered the engine power, dropped maybe 140lbs (?) from the total weight, and auto is now CVT (manual trans is rated for the same economy).