Quantcast

new crank brothers mallets???

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
argarghhhh stop making pedals with multiple-piece outer bodies!!! sure multiple colors are cool, but so is having a pedal body that doesn't explode into multiple pieces when it hits a rock.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
hawt. I will purchase that pedal when I see it. period. I will run no other pedal than Times clipless.
What do you like about the Time pedals? I've only ridden shimano, but usually flats. Sometimes I consider clips for AM riding though...

I think those CB pedals look cool since they have real pins, so if you aren't actually "in" you would have real grip.
I'm a wuss when i ride clips and clip out before sketchy corners, so some grip would be nice!

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
Hell, I don't even remember whether I have TIME Zs or Z CONTROLs. Anyway, if clipless then TIME. They are a solid part of bike! I moved from SPDs after strong recommendation from a very good friend when I was building my Rune up. The differences you can read over the internet are simply true. For me the biggest advantage over SPDs is problem free clip-in with any trash sticked to your sole.

?????

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
San Francisco
Time pedals are like a thomson stem. My little brother is still using my original green Time Atac's from the days of my Cannondale M300 with Rockshox Mag21 fork. I would say that they are around 15 years old and still work better than a 1 month old pair of Crank Brothers pedals.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
Time pedals are like a thomson stem. My little brother is still using my original green Time Atac's from the days of my Cannondale M300 with Rockshox Mag21 fork. I would say that they are around 15 years old and still work better than a 1 month old pair of Crank Brothers pedals.
Yeah same here. I've got a 2002 or 2001 time attack pedals and they still hold true even though they had their share of rock hits. Best clipless pedal ever.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
What do you like about the Time pedals? I've only ridden shimano, but usually flats. Sometimes I consider clips for AM riding though...

I think those CB pedals look cool since they have real pins, so if you aren't actually "in" you would have real grip.
I'm a wuss when i ride clips and clip out before sketchy corners, so some grip would be nice!

Yeah same here. I've got a 2002 or 2001 time attack pedals and they still hold true even though they had their share of rock hits. Best clipless pedal ever.
I don't know what it is about them, but they just last forever. I just put my Aliums on my commuter. they are 11 years old now and saw mtb service for about 4 years (I usually ride 3x/week). I went through set of mallets in about 2 months on my DH bike. And I rode DH maybe once a week back then. It's the cleats that wore out on the mallets. and bushing/bearing. any of my buddies that tried the candies usually had to replace them within 4 months. (I think that's about 4-5 people). The other thing about Times is that they are fairly easy to repair. The springs can sustain damage, but are easy to replace (I think this is the case with CB pedals too though). I prefer the round springs for longevity, but the hexagonal springs tend to be more secure...

oh and yeah, they are unsurpassed in goopy riding. Mud, snow, clay, whatever, the Times handle them with ease.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
No thanks.
Still have an old pair of Mallets sitting in a junk box.

Can't stand the way the CB pedals engage/release.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I agree Time's have by far the best mechanism, the axles on the other hand? I'm not so sure. 2 or the 4 Z pedals I have are bent..... I only weight 9.5st!
never had much issue with mine, and I weigh 210lbs. (what's that, 15 stone?). But, the Z-pedals weigh a sh!t ton! Which is why the pedal that was linked to seems interesting to me - they look lighter.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
The new X-roc's from Time are great. I've been on a proto set for about 2 months and am loving them. Like the higher end Time's, they have ab adjustable tension feature that the Z's have never had. The composite cage drops TONS of weight off the Z's garden-brick form, but it still has a solid amount of grip like the Z's did. I think having the ability to adjust the tension like the shimano pedals will attract more people, and lowering the weight was a step in the right direction. Give Time a shot, you will like.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
The new X-roc's from Time are great. I've been on a proto set for about 2 months and am loving them. Like the higher end Time's, they have ab adjustable tension feature that the Z's have never had. The composite cage drops TONS of weight off the Z's garden-brick form, but it still has a solid amount of grip like the Z's did. I think having the ability to adjust the tension like the shimano pedals will attract more people, and lowering the weight was a step in the right direction. Give Time a shot, you will like.
You make it hard for me to stay on dh flats this season ;) What's the weight on those?

qikss

Chimp
Apr 15, 2010
laguna
The 50/50's look interesting, too... no idea when they'll be available, tho

A friend tested these for about 1/4 a run on a tail in laguna...he landed off a gap jump and the plastic inner totally broke away from the spindle. :eek:

After riding the rest of the way down on the spindle only...and letting his foot heal for 3 weeks he was fine. Price CB pays for R&D i guess before the pros test em..

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I agree Time's have by far the best mechanism, the axles on the other hand? I'm not so sure. 2 or the 4 Z pedals I have are bent..... I only weight 9.5st!
That's about the only problem I've had with them too. I just orded some spindles (which are cheap) replaced them. I've broken a spring or two as well but that's also an easy fix. The only reason I have 3 is to split between two bikes and then have an extra. I've still never completely killed one....just bent spindles and a spring from knocks that would have explodered any CB pedal.

All said though, I've had 3 pairs of the things going strong on dh bikes for about 8 years. Can't stand not being able to rotate your foot with shimanos and don't feel like dealing with pedals that straight up break or quit working like the CBs. The mechanism is simlar enough to CBs (since CB essentially copied the time design years ago) that I think a lot of die hard CB fans would be all about times but are just too stubborn to try them.

Last edited:

Speedgoat9

Monkey
Aug 27, 2009
State College, PA
The mechanism is simlar enough to CBs (since CB essentially copied the time design years ago) that I think a lot of die hard CB fans would all about times but are just too stubborn to try them.
Funny, I did just the opposite, i've been a time guy my whole life but just switched to Mallets hoping for more grip from the cage when i miss a clip in.

Verdict? I will be going back to times for sure. The engagement/release on my times are just so much more distinct, and i feel so much more stable on them while clipped in.

Those new times look like winners for sure, can't wait for more info

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'm a little curious about how big the plastic cage is on the new ones. One of the things I like about the old Zs is how narrow they are. It just takes a day of me riding flats to realize just how close I squeak by on some rocks with my feet. I knock the shlt out of my pedals on flats the first few runs. I'm thinking I might do the same with those....

slowitdown

Monkey
Mar 30, 2009
can anyone speak to the differences in the Z Strong Vs. the regular Z pedal? Or for that matter the new X Roc S pedal? All the above are time of course.

http://www.time-sport.com/product-sheet-x-roc-s.2.0.idp.194.html
http://www.time-sport.com/product-sheet-z-strong.2.0.idp.134.html
http://www.time-sport.com/product-sheet-z.2.0.idp.114.html
Z Strong supposedly has a stronger axle. Which might help with the bending problem.

I've used Times since the mid-90s. Original plastic bodied ATAC is pretty bulletproof for me. I've used Z pedals too. The new DH model looks good if the weight comes down from the Z, which it should with a nylon/whatever cage.

I've heard friends say the new ROC designs don't hold as well as the original ATAC and have weaker spring bars. Might just be occasional bad ones?

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I've heard friends say the new ROC designs don't hold as well as the original ATAC and have weaker spring bars. Might just be occasional bad ones?
I think the ROC (or whichever have the hexagonal bars) are more susceptible to wear. They hold more firmly when new, but once your cleats wear a little, they aren't as secure. I also think they're not a tough as the older rounder models. Luckily, you can choose which you like, they sell both.

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
Here's a couple pics hopefully showing the profile compared to the z's. On the scale my Z's weighed 532g, while the X-Roc's came in at 439g. Mind you this is the std X-Roc version with the steel axle, not the 'S' model.

The body on the X-Roc is a couple mm narrower than the previous Z's. I was worried about the cage, and I have thrashed a few of my other pair's of Z's at N* for yr's, but so far they have held up real well. Won't be disappointed.

Excuse the ****ty pic's/dirty pedals

Ringer

Monkey
Mar 4, 2008
Whoa.....thanks for the pics. I was seeing those renderings of the roc pedal as way bigger than what they are.

Find me at northstar this summer so I can look at them :D
If you see Acadian, I'm usually right behind ;)

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i LOVE my times, but i also have the spindle issue, im at approx 160lb give or take, and this is im on my second set of spindles...

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
im debating on either a set of the new xtr's or wait for these? im just not a fan of CB tension... always felt sloppy to me.

sbabuser

Turbo Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
Golden, CO
do want!

i'll buck the trend and say that i've never really had much of an issue with my crank brothers pedals. i run them on all of my bikes.
Yeah, I don't understand why there are so many people who have to jump in on any CB thread hating. Between mine and my wife's bikes, we've got 6 or 7 pairs of eggbeaters. After awhile of ignoring them, they'll need a rebuild, which are readily available and not expensive. The premium cleats last better than the cheap ones that they generally ship with, and they engage/ release reliably. Oh, and the couple times I've broken them, CB has warrantied them, no cost, no questions asked.

I'm still running a set of original mallet m's. I thought about replacing them w/ the updated ones, but until they really die, I don't have a good reason to do so... And I am digging the acids I'm running on my trailbike. I do kind of question having more grip on a clipless pedal, as on the prototype mallets - I like being able to slid my feet around to clip in.