Quantcast

New DH bike

hurlykid6900

Chimp
Oct 23, 2005
C-Ville Rep yo
I'v been looking around for a cheaper DH bike to race on. I'v done one DH race on a hardtail. I'm looking at getting a 2002 Karpiel Disco Volante. I'd love a little feedback on this bike.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
lol you show me where you can possibly get an Orange for cheap... but I guess if you say a disco volante is cheap you might be right...

other than that, go single pivot go :stupid:

L

luelling

I would hunt the used areas for companies that are still in business and then bring a selection for picking. You can prolly can get an M1 relatively cheap and thats a good bike. There are better bikes out there.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
with the still in buisness is probably a good idea, I really hope I won't have to machine some linkage plates for my bb7...:mumble:

broken bikes suck so don't buy something that's falling apart every two weeks

L

luelling

Hailight said:
with the still in buisness is probably a good idea, I really hope I won't have to machine some linkage plates for my bb7...:mumble:

broken bikes suck so don't buy something that's falling apart every two weeks
Yeah, but your bike maker is still around under a different name......I bet you can replacement parts.

Hailight

Chimp
Mar 5, 2006
my last post on this one, don't want to take over the thread :oink:

anyway, you can still get balfa parts from the UK but the silver linkage plates are hard to get. At least they're easy to machine, only 2 dimensional.

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I have a disco, good things about it is the ability to change head angle, travel, bb height and shock progresiveness, it's pretty stiff at the back though you have to change the beirings everyonce in a while to quick, think about getting a saint for your gears at the back, also, the frame is insanly light, that just rocks all the way, In my opinion an excelent fram, but it comes with a long cost (beiring, shock (to much leverage on the 2.5 stroke))

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
How cheap? I got my SGS put together with a Dorado for under a grand...Supposedly Superho/Performance still has SGS World Cups for $1k, if they're in the neighborhood.

If you break a Karpiel, good luck replacing stuff-especially an 02.