Quantcast

New "DH" spot in SEPA: Spring Mountain

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Announcement on MTBR: http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=647336

"Launch Bike Park at Spring Mountain is opening the lifts September 11th and 12th for a free weekend of riding. This is just a quick video I made. There are many new ladders and drops and a lot of jumps. Even opened up all of the old trails. Come out and support Launch Bike Park!"
There are between 5 and 8 trails with more being built every weekend. An all mountain bike is a great bike at spring mountain. Slow trails with lots of rocks. Limited high speed runs which makes a downhill bike kind of overkill. A Jump line is being designed as well as many new jumps and drops.
Vid/Website: http://bikrocosm.com/launch/

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
I rode from about 10-2 today, and having never been there before and not knowing what to expect, this was my take:

Very much "freeride," not so much DH. LOTS of rocks of all sizes. Some really big stuff, and plenty of baby heads and marbles. Real tech trails. Slow speed maneuvers, lots of drops to flat, ladders, tight turns and quick up and overs. Not real flowy, but once you get to know the trails better, I'd guess that would improve. Official trails were actually a little hard to follow in places, but I'm sure that will improve with use and signage. A fun place for sure, but it won't replace another true DH spot, at least not for me.

I took my 4x and was a little underbiked, but got through everything. I wouldn't think that the new school, low BB, slack HA bikes would be ideal at Spring, it definitely favors a bike with a little clearance and a shorter wheelbase, IMO. I think my Shova would have been perfect. (I saw IH8Rice there on his Revolt, so he may have a different opinion.)

The people running the show were totally cool. Very friendly, would guide if you wanted, had tools if you needed and put on a great opening day. Thanks!

It's just over an hour from me, so I'll be back for sure.

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
You're right about the bike choice, the low slack bikes are not ideal. Once you learn the trails it does tend to flow a little better.
It was nice to ride the mountain without having to walk up. Definitely needs some race tape or something to mark the trails, I find myself getting lost if I go too fast.
There was a new triple black diamond trail on the back that I'm not even sure I could navigate. Id like to see someone ride it, it was pretty sketchy.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
lift was sketchy, trails didnt flow, couldnt tell where trails went, drops to flat, random small out of place berms, nice long ride on paved road getting back to the lift/lot on half of the mountain......i shoulda went to Blue. definitely wont go back

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
lift was sketchy, trails didnt flow, couldnt tell where trails went, drops to flat, random small out of place berms, nice long ride on paved road getting back to the lift/lot on half of the mountain......i shoulda went to Blue. definitely wont go back
Mr. Negative, you fail. You sound like a 14 year old dude. These people are just trying to get the ball rolling from what it sounds like. It's a local mountain to me at least, and with time comes progress. You expectations sounded too high attending todays event. How can you expect a new trail crew/new idea/new mountain to have 30 foot gaps and shoulder high berms with gnarly marked rock gardens.

And not to mention, they opened the lift for free. Very nice of them I might add.

I am in no way affiliated with spring mountain, but for real dude.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
. How can you expect a new trail crew/new idea/new mountain to have 30 foot gaps and shoulder high berms with gnarly marked rock gardens.

And not to mention, they opened the lift for free. Very nice of them I might add.

I am in no way affiliated with spring mountain, but for real dude.
who said anything about 30' gaps and shoulder high berms? simple trail markings and or signage might help a bit. as well as more thought out trails. also the 3-4 6" piles of dirt that resembled a berm were not helping anything.

if you dont like my opinion then thats your problem. for real dude.
from the few people i talked to, they agreed with my original comments.
a hardtail would have been sufficient enough for the mountain

1 hr to Spring or 1 hr to Blue. simple choice.

Last edited:

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
who said anything about 30' gaps and shoulder high berms? simple trail markings and or signage might help a bit. as well as more thought out trails. also the 3-4 6" piles of dirt that resembled a berm were not helping anything.

if you dont like my opinion then thats your problem. for real dude.
from the few people i talked to, they agreed with my original comments.
a hardtail would have been sufficient enough for the mountain

1 hr to Spring or 1 hr to Blue. simple choice.
It's not that I don't like your opinion, but after reading your posts about Blue and defending them closing early, I think you are biased and trying to persuade people away from Spring. Blue is cool and dan runs a good mountain there, but spring is closer to many of us near philly and it does have some challenging terrain. Best of all, the crew has permission to build almost whatever they want.

I, for one, never think a lift operated mountain is bad thing. Plus spring is cheap (20 bucks right now I believe) and close, a winning combo for working family guys who have bigger worries than which mountain one can bitch about this weekend;)

Amish-Matt gave a pretty fair review.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
It's not that I don't like your opinion, but after reading your posts about Blue and defending them closing early, I think you are biased and trying to persuade people away from Spring.
im not defending them closing early by a long shot. i drove 2 hours that day and my friends drove 3+ hours to get there for them only to close early, after the rain stopped.
believe me, i was pissed. the free lift ticket was a nice gesture, but it still was annoying.

BrokenBob

Chimp
Jul 20, 2008
Philly
I'm with IH8RICE. My friend and I went to Spring after Blue closed early on Sunday, and guess what. Spring was closed! They said because of the rain. This is a bunch of bulls**t!!! I'm not trying to play tennis or have a picnic. This is supposed to be downhill mountain biking. If a little rain and mud is going to affect these places so much, I'll just save my money for Diablo.

mtnbiker49

Monkey
Jul 12, 2009
Milford, PA
I'm not siding with anyone (maybe IH8RICE since he has a revolt), but this is a brand new park. As with any park, they do not have money to do major improvements already. They are open and getting the word out.

On the other side, they won't be able to do much with almost 420 ft of elevation change.