Quantcast

New Dirt Jumping MTB

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
trying to get into it and looking for a mountain bike to hit the dirt jumps with. im 6'1" and 170 lbs. not looking for the top of the line bike, just something to get started with. would prefer front suspension and looking to spend around $400-$500.

Any help is appreciated.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
i was looking at the easterns and the traildigger is in my price range. and i was thinking of buying one without a suspension fork and just putting one in later. if im gonna do that, i was looking at the haro thread 1.1 or the steel reserve 1.1. would the eastern or one of the haros be better? or any other suggestions?

and thanks for the help.

foreveralout

Chimp
Nov 3, 2008
ruff raleigh
the traildigger is an ok bike, but its a bmx bike, id go with the rigid haro for the money. oh yea wait until after the 15th to make a decision, i got a sneak peak at easterns 2010 catalog and the have a new 26" coming out that a think is going to be cheaper than the nightrain. if i had to guess i would say some where in the 550- 700 range. but dont take my word for it.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Look at the traildigger, see how the top of the front wheel is close to the fork? You can't put a suspension fork on it without messing up the geometry. The Haro's look OK.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
oh yeah the traildigger is a bmx bike. but i was hoping to get one picked out by today but maybe i can hold out till next week. is this when all the companies put out their new bikes? if so i can try to wait.

foreveralout

Chimp
Nov 3, 2008
ruff raleigh
i dont know about other companies but i know easterns catalog isnt suposed to be seen till then. and if their mtb completes are anything like their 2010 bmx's ( alot better and cheaper) it will be worth the weight.

May 12, 2005
roanoke va
i was looking for a big bmx bike and i found it in my night train. i love that bike. if you will want a sus fork at some time step up to the night train or the model below with the same frame b/c of what dog eater said about the traildigger.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
the night train is nice but its really expensive. if i really get into this ill keep the night train in mind but not right now. but i think right now its either between the haro steel reserve 1.1 and get a different fork later or wait till the new easterns come out. and to be honest tonka, i have no idea how much to offer for that bike haha but it looks nice. but whats like the honest value of it and is it a good mtb that i can jump with? oh yeah and im even looking at the haro steel reserve 1.2 the one with front suspension. just looking for opinions on which would be best for my situation. and what are some other good mtb jumping brands that put out good bikes for cheap?

thanks for the much needed help!

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
Beware of lame suspension fork.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav2.php

like that Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 comes with an SR Suntour fork.... never heard of it. i'd be pretty suspicious, considering they sell some sus forks for as cheap as $50 !!
http://www.crosslakesales.com/p-110-sr-suntour-cr-880-suspension-fork-mountain-bike-26-new.aspx

Any good dirt jump fork will be at least 280....that's why the cost of complete DJ bikes adds up.

The DK Asterik on the other hand comes with a Marzocchi fork. i would recommend that, over the Haro with the Suntour fork.

http://oldskoolcycles1.com/DK_Asterik.aspx
$690.00

Frame DK 26" design 100% 4130 Butted Chromoly
Fork Marzocchi DJ-3 Suspension Fork w/ Chromoly Steerer and 80mm of Travel
Handlebar Aluminum 30mm rise
Grips DK Tsuka
Stem Shorty CNC Alloy
Headset Cane Creek Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing 1-1/8"
Detangler
Brake Avid BB5 Mechaical Disc w/160mm rotor
Crank DK Social 3pc 170mm Chromoly
BB Euro Sealed w/ 48 splined Chromoly spindle
Pedals DK Aluminum Platform w/ replaceable pins
Sprocket DK 33T CNC Alloy
Cog 16T Cassette
Chain KMC 410H
Wheels Sun Ditch Witch Rims w/sealed Disc compatible hubs and10mm solid axles
Seat DK Pivotal
Post Alloy 25.4 mm Pivotal
Tires Kenda Multi surface design, 26"X2.3" front and rear
Accessories
Color Matte White

TT Length 22"
CS Length 16.25"
HT Angle 69 degrees
ST Angle 70 degrees

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
haha alright thanks cmc. ill take your word for it and try to get that dk. but if i cant cuz its a little out of my price range ill probly get the haro 1.1 and upgrade to a better fork. and ill make sure i get a quality one.

and thanks for all the help. got alot more help here than some of the people that come on to the other forums im on haha. but thanks! and im still open to more suggestions if there are any more.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
i just might wait till the 15th then. but my birthdays tmrw and i wanted to get one picked out by then but i might wait if it would be better.
also just wondering...if any of you skate, is buying a complete bike similar to buying a complete skatebard? i mean like its usually better building your own setup (for a skateboard) cuz you get to choose things that fit your style. and most of the time, the completes that skate brands sell are not the best setup. but im just wondering if buying a complete bike is like that.

cmc

Turbo Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
austin
i just might wait till the 15th then. but my birthdays tmrw and i wanted to get one picked out by then but i might wait if it would be better.
also just wondering...if any of you skate, is buying a complete bike similar to buying a complete skatebard? i mean like its usually better building your own setup (for a skateboard) cuz you get to choose things that fit your style. and most of the time, the completes that skate brands sell are not the best setup. but im just wondering if buying a complete bike is like that.
that's a good question. it really depends which complete you are talking about.

some companies try to build the cheapest complete possible, using janky parts. watch out for a lame supension fork. if it's not a dirt jump fork from Marzocchi, Rock Shox, Manitou, Fox, or X-Fusion, avoid it. people i know with RST Space fork (common on completes) do not like it--it is heavy and unresponsive.

others really do put together a strong complete. for example the complete Blackmarket RIOT, MSRP $1449 is a great build. they say "The Riot has everything a Pro rider needs without the expense of a custom Mob." And that is true. If you bought the "best" of every part you could spend well over $2000 on a MOB build.

other mid range completes like Specialized P bikes, Giant STP, (and I'll put DK Asterik in this category) have good parts. Eastern Thunderbird is a good bike all around, except for the RST Space fork.

Last edited:

untitledsince89

Turbo Monkey
Nov 11, 2005
Winston-Salem NC
with that price range, buy used. You'll be way happier to get a bike with a better quality build, thats a bit used, then a ****ty bike thats brand new.
Ridemonkey classifieds has a ton of great deals

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
already looked through ridemonkey and craigslist classifieds and didnt really find anything. but i might have overlooked some. anywhere else i can look? because i am willing to buy a good used bike in good condition.
but really good info cmc. it looks like im gonna have to go with one of the suspension-less haros though but get a better fork. everything else is out of my price range unless i can find a used bike that i like.
are there any other bikes in that haro steel reserve 1.1 "class" that would be a better deal?

tonka

Chimp
May 3, 2008
gilroyy
the night train is nice but its really expensive. if i really get into this ill keep the night train in mind but not right now. but i think right now its either between the haro steel reserve 1.1 and get a different fork later or wait till the new easterns come out. and to be honest tonka, i have no idea how much to offer for that bike haha but it looks nice. but whats like the honest value of it and is it a good mtb that i can jump with? oh yeah and im even looking at the haro steel reserve 1.2 the one with front suspension. just looking for opinions on which would be best for my situation. and what are some other good mtb jumping brands that put out good bikes for cheap?

thanks for the much needed help!
ya its beeen built for dirt jumping, street, and park riding.The frame and fork alone cost $600 but i really want a twenty four so im jus tryin to get rid of it.4130 crmo frame wit 21.75tt is ideal for that. Im willing to let it go for $700, considering some parts are off an other build so not everything is brand new.

djbiker

Monkey
Sep 25, 2009
no, better to buy a complete unless you got the money to upgrade everypart which in your case you don't

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
would def love to buy that bike tonka, but i just dont have enough money. thanks though.
and djbiker, i wasnt gonna put together a bike for my first setup, just wondering if complete bikes are like complete skateboards. because usually brands that make good decks dont have the best trucks, wheels or bearings on their completes. so its usually better to just put together your own setup. so i guess its like that with bikes too, but a custom setup is gonna be way more expensive.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
i think im gonna go for a used one. but as far as searching for one, what do i type in search bars? i am new at the sport entirely so i dont even know what to call these bikes. i typed in hardtail only because from raoming this forum for a little thats all i could come up with for a classification and it did narrow down a little better from just searching "mountain bike". but i dont even know what hardtail means haha. can someone just shed some light please?
and i know im probly aggrevating some people on here with these "what bike should i get" type questions because it happens on every type of forum and im guilty of getting annoyed too. so i apologize. and thanks for the help.

Last edited:

Dr. Savage

Chimp
Sep 9, 2009
i think im gonna go for a used one. but as far as searching for one, what do i type in search bars? i am new at the sport entirely so i dont even know what to call these bikes. i typed in hardtail only because from raoming this forum for a little thats all i could come up with for a classification and it did narrow down a little better from just searching "mountain bike". but i dont even know what hardtail means haha. can someone just shed some light please?
and i know im probly aggrevating some people on here with these "what bike should i get" type questions because it happens on every type of forum and im guilty of getting annoyed too. so i apologize. and thanks for the help.
When i search for bikes i start using keywords like Jump, Dirt and Street, then I look by brand Eastern, Specialized, Giant, Azonic, and so on.

Hardtail just means no suspension on the back of the bike, a solid frame.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
When i search for bikes i start using keywords like Jump, Dirt and Street, then I look by brand Eastern, Specialized, Giant, Azonic, and so on.

Hardtail just means no suspension on the back of the bike, a solid frame.
ahh ok thanks. but they do make dj mtbs with full suspension right?

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
alright so i was looking through craigslist in my area and i found a specialized p2 cr-mo for $550. dont know what year or size it is but it looks pretty good. just wondering if this is a good bike for the money. its seems like it is and has good parts and stuff but i barely know anything about bikes. just looking for some reviews if anyone has one or has ever ridden one before i contact him because i dont wanna flake like most people on craigslist.

heres the link
http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bik/1418657029.html

djbiker

Monkey
Sep 25, 2009
do not get the p2 for your size, my friend i ride with everyday has one in long (biggest size for it) and it's too small for me and im 5.11. Try looking at a kona stuff, norco havoc , giant stp/1 or 2.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
do not get the p2 for your size, my friend i ride with everyday has one in long (biggest size for it) and it's too small for me and im 5.11. Try looking at a kona stuff, norco havoc , giant stp/1 or 2.
alright. thanks for the info. the kona stuff looks pretty good. if i can find a used one for a good price i might go with that. and i was looking around some bike shops where i live and they had the stp in store and it looked pretty solid too. so if a used stp pops up also ill def consider getting it.
whats the average top tube length on a dj mtb? is it like 22"? because i have long arms, but i want the handle bars not too far from my body. i wasa sitting on the stp in the store and the guy measured the top tube at 23" i think and it felt like a half inch too long. so im just wondering what size top tube you guys prefer and why? and like do you have long average or short arms?

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
was looking through ebay and found an 09 blackmarket three57 for $600.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-COMPLETE-2009-BLACK-MARKET-BIKES-357-LARGE-WHITE_W0QQitemZ270327509404QQihZ017QQcategoryZ98082QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo=LVI&itu=UCI&otn=3&ps=63

did a little research and from what i have found it seems to be a good bike for the money. just trying to see what anyone thinks about it or if anyone has it, a review.
also, the dk asterik was recommended to me and i found that bike for $700.

http://bicyclesource.us/product/dk-bicycles-asterik-26-57091-1.htm?Variations=&alert=OK&#alert

it is supposed to be $700 flat with no tax or shipping/handling but ill try to email them and double check that. but if it is $700 flat would it be worth it to spend that extra $70 (there is a $30 shipping/handling cost for the blackmarket) and get the asterik?

aj-monkey

Monkey
Oct 11, 2007
Squampton, BC
Have you tried pinkbike? Or nsmb? Where are you. I got my Cove Sanchez off pinkbike for a steal and it was in amazing condition. Definitely buy second hand, make sure you research well and you wont regret it! At your height as well I would recommend looking into something with a long toptube length. You'll be much more comfortable. Also Rocky Mountain had a bike at Interbike that was amazingly well priced (I think $500) and looked like a really good ride. Look it up on www.vitalmtb.com There is a video of it from interbike on there.

sd_bber

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
im in san diego.
i was looking at second hand through craigslist and some ok bikes came up but i really think that 357 is the best deal. unless someone on here can convince me to not get it in the next couple of hours, im getting the 357.
and i really appreciate all the help ive gotten on here!

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
Beware of lame suspension fork.

http://www.harobikes.com/mtb/tab2_subNav2.php

like that Haro Steel Reserve 1.2 comes with an SR Suntour fork.... never heard of it. i'd be pretty suspicious, considering they sell some sus forks for as cheap as $50 !!
Well, the DJ-D fork is a Duro DJ revamped for 2009-2010. I've beaten the hell out of a 2005 one (it came spec'ed in my GT Ruckus) and it held tight until this year, when I traded iit off for an Argyle 318. Not too bad for the money, though. I'm not saying it's at Marzocchi or Rock Shox level, but for an entry-level guy, it does the trick. Your statement about the $50 is absurd. The fifty-buck Suntour fork will never come in a DJ bike, since it's a trekking fork. It's almost as spec'ing a RS Dart for a downhill bike.

Just my 0,02 pesos (about 0,07 cents)

Last edited:

kolektor

Chimp
Dec 9, 2009
Manila, Philippines
Well, the DJ-D fork is a Duro DJ revamped for 2009-2010. I've beaten the hell out of a 2005 one (it came spec'ed in my GT Ruckus) and it held tight until this year, when I traded iit off for an Argyle 318. Not too bad for the money, though. I'm not saying it's at Marzocchi or Rock Shox level, but for an entry-level guy, it does the trick. Your statement about the $50 is absurd. The fifty-buck Suntour fork will never come in a DJ bike, since it's a trekking fork. It's almost as spec'ing a RS Dart for a downhill bike.

Just my 0,02 pesos (about 0,07 cents)

I have a duro DJ-E 130mm & it can handle 4 to 5 feet drops. suntour forks for DJ & freeride are cheap but great forks. im 140 lbs only.

Pebble

Monkey
Dec 6, 2006
Nannup
Giant STP, consider that in the 14.5" size?
I know they hold they seem to sell for bugger all 2nd hand here in Oz, maybe because they're so common. So if it's similar where you are it shouldn't be too hard to find a decent one for a bargain price.