Quantcast

New Dog!

luvz2ridez

Monkey
Jul 19, 2006
Shoreline, WA
No seriously, they are great trail dogs, our's is only about 1/2 husky though...
Thankfully the hubby had her on a leash with a harness because he had to pull her up the side of a cliff once!
I want another one though, they are GREAT dogs.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Dude, don't try it. I have a six year old Siberian and he still bolts at the smallest thought of freedom. I have hiked with him off leash but only when there was another, calmer, better dog around and he did okay. But who knows, every dog (and dog owner) is different, if you work with him/her a lot then it could be a different story. Personally, I am anti bringing a dog riding with you but that is just my opinion and a topic covered elsewhere on RM.
Just remember; Husky's (the dog's that is) are smarter than us and get bored easily, so if you keep them stimulated enough they are awesome dogs. We just don't have the time to do anything with ours and our yard has paid the price.
Good luck.

NECROMONGER

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Olympia
Cool..I know you were serious. I was just kidding. How did you train her for the trail. My wife would shoot me if he ran off if he saw something to chaise after while on a ride.

Feb 25, 2005
seattle, wa
Also, sometime last year, Dirt Rag had an article about riding with dogs. I don't remember which issue it was and I don't know how far back you can go for archived articles on their web site but if you find it; it could be helpful.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Not the same breed but I used to take my dog on some long single track that I was shuttled to. I had done this ride with him a few times before but....

One day its was really hot, and I was in a hurry. My dog drank a bunch of water 1/2 way down, then toward the bottom he dissaperd. I hiked a few miles back up the trail and found him in bad shape on the side of the trail. I had to carry him back down a few miles, he was yelping and bitting me on the way becuse he was in so much pain. I took him strait to the vet and it turned out that his stomach had fliped over, cuting off both ends. After a expensive surgery he was all good again. I felt really bad for pusing him to run so much and never took him biking that far again.

Keep in mind this trail was way to long and it was my fault to do it whan it was that hot, but be carefull! Oh ya and have a leash or somthing ready if you come out on a road. I saw a puppy get smashed by a van becuse his stupid owner did not put him on leash were the trail crossed a major street.

What are the winery trails? (p.m. me) How did rossco do?

NECROMONGER

Chimp
Jan 2, 2005
Olympia
I plan on using a retractable lead on a wide trail to get him used to trails to see how he does. Just riding around my 5 acers. He's responding vary well. He's 2 years old so, training him for a year on my trails, and then I'll take him up the rode to capital forest, he should do very well. For those who don't know me, I ride with a bear bell on my bike. Maily to annoy the people I ride with!:happydance: The horse people love it. My friends on the otherhand want to shoot me! I plan on putting one on the pooch as well, so I can hear him and again, annoy my friends.

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
I plan on using a retractable lead on a wide trail to get him used to trails to see how he does. Just riding around my 5 acers. He's responding vary well. He's 2 years old so, training him for a year on my trails, and then I'll take him up the rode to capital forest, he should do very well. For those who don't know me, I ride with a bear bell on my bike. Maily to annoy the people I ride with!:happydance: The horse people love it. My friends on the otherhand want to shoot me! I plan on putting one on the pooch as well, so I can hear him and again, annoy my friends.
Have fun with that!:monkeydance: I had a Malamute Husky I tried to ride with on a leash...that turned out to be a pretty dangerous thing to do. That dog never turned out to be much of a riding dog.