Quantcast

New Dorado

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
I know this has been posted but here it is real big to irritate Fraser.

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
I think I read in another thread about a $2,000 plus price tag... can that be the case? If so, Hayes is WAY WAY WAY over shooting the mark, that's ridiculous.

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
it is a little expensive.... MSRP $2775 ..
But that includes quite a bit after talking to them you will get free service on the fork from 2-3 years.. they havent decided yet.. but that will include everything! si if you break a fork leg it will be replaced.. if you want new decals they are free... all you do is send it in and they will have all your rider info like weight and preferences and then send it back for free..
I think they have done quite a good job with the fork this time... probably better than the original.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
But that includes quite a bit after talking to them you will get free service on the fork from 2-3 years.. they havent decided yet.. but that will include everything! si if you break a fork leg it will be replaced.. if you want new decals they are free... all you do is send it in and they will have all your rider info like weight and preferences and then send it back for free..
I think they have done quite a good job with the fork this time... probably better than the original.
or for just about the same amount of money you could have a brand new 888 every year for 3 years, and not have to worry about dieing because of your fork.

Oct 14, 2007
u will get free service on the fork from 2-3 years.. they havent decided yet.. but that will include everything! si if you break a fork leg it will be replaced.. if you want new decals they are free... all you do is send it in and they will have all your rider info like weight and preferences and then send it back for free..
Are they gonna take the size of my scrotum and lick my nuts to?
Honestly now, this is getting ridiculous

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Nice thought, but what would the turn around time be? It doesn't do you any good if it takes 3 months

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
I heard something close to a $2.5k pricetag which is absolutely insane for any Manitou Product, or even for Fox for that matter.

I'm beginning to wonder if Intense is in bed with Answer Products... they keep using Revox and Dorado and Travis stuff on their bikes. It's sad, too... because Intense makes a great bike, but their factory spec. kinda' sucks.

But you can't deny... that bike looks GOOOOD.

Ithnu

Monkey
Jul 16, 2007
Denver
I just got back from Interbike and was looking at that exact bike yesterday. I've seen lots of different types of carbon fiber, some companies cheap out and put only a few layers and then 80% of the volume is the resin. Burton snowboard bindings are like this, results in a brittle low strength material.

This fork looked like the real deal. I was skeptical at first, but after seeing one in person I'm intrigued. My only hesitation is because its an invert it won't be very stiff, but the carbon could help that.

RMboy

Monkey
Dec 1, 2006
England the Great...
I think its a joke, no fork is worth that money.. they just know they have us with our pants down, and they are going to take it all.. we are addicts as they know so they know we will buy it...

Let make a revolution and all use RST!!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
mmm yeah, after a string of terrible products, manitou is going to get back in the market by overpricing their forks...who on earth would pay more for a fork with a track record among the worst in the industry? they should start by pricing them low to generate hype and get them out there.

plus, who cares if service is free if you have to send it out every two rides?

I love the fork but the price is ridiculous.

boogenman

Turbo Monkey
Nov 3, 2004
BUFFALO

Ahhhaaa, I figured it out, you get 2 Dorado's for the $2775! When one is getting rebuilt after a weekend of riding you swap out with the spare and repeat the process for 2-3 years. But who pays for all the shipping charges?

What a clever idea, 2 forks priced as one! Brilliant

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I'd pay 3Gs for them to bring back TPC+, if only to spare myself the pain of watching new even failerer efforts.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
mmm yeah, after a string of terrible products, manitou is going to get back in the market by overpricing their forks...who on earth would pay more for a fork with a track record among the worst in the industry? they should start by pricing them low to generate hype and get them out there.
That's not how marketing works. By releasing this as a super high-end fork Hayes are hoping to re-establish themselves as a high-performance leader. The hope is then that some of that image can be transferred to products down the line, increasing bulk sales.

All that said, I wont be touching this fork with a ten foot pole...

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
i usually try not to get involved in these debates. but having talked to a number of people about this fork im convinced its a pretty sweet fork. its full carbon and made by a company who makes carbon sailboat masts. that cant be cheap but you know its strong. and that pricetag is including the best warranty i have ever heard of for any suspension product and you guys are knocking that? if you think you are going to get 3 years of free service INCLUDING parts then you are severly mistaken. it is being marketed as a strictly race only fork, thats one of the things they stressed to me. so that means its going to get tons of crap after it comes out by all the little kids who go decide to huck it. can anyone recall rockshox in 2002? come on give it a chance before you knock it

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i usually try not to get involved in these debates. but having talked to a number of people about this fork im convinced its a pretty sweet fork. its full carbon and made by a company who makes carbon sailboat masts. that cant be cheap but you know its strong. and that pricetag is including the best warranty i have ever heard of for any suspension product and you guys are knocking that? if you think you are going to get 3 years of free service INCLUDING parts then you are severly mistaken. it is being marketed as a strictly race only fork, thats one of the things they stressed to me. so that means its going to get tons of crap after it comes out by all the little kids who go decide to huck it. can anyone recall rockshox in 2002? come on give it a chance before you knock it
what if I race it on my hardtail with twenny-fo's???

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I'd rather pay 120 to have my fork serviced each time and have it work between those periods than have free service on a crappy fork.

I haven't seen a single Manitou product yet this year, outside of my 6 year old xc fork. Releasing an uber expensive, solely high end fork that competes with avalanche and BOS, both reknowned for their damping, and is even more expensive than the WC forks, which are lighter....it just doesn't make sense.

Good luck to them anyways, I love inverted designs but Manitou isn't somebody I'd buy a first year fork from...

Monkey
at 2775, that is assuming a lot of breakage to justify the price.

either way not good. If 2775 is a good value becasue of CS...that means you'll spend a lot of time twittling your thumbs. If not then you are just paying 2100 dollars extra for a little more performance than a 650 dollar Boxxer Race(okay I realize the Dorados ride better than Boxxer race's but how much better?)

BTW I see no reason to price any fork over 1k whne you the size of Manitou, because the "production scale" excuse for smaller fork makers just won't fly here.

big-ted

Danced with A, attacked by C, fired by D.
Sep 27, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I'm not sure the "additional customer support" is anything to be shouting about. Sram have always repaired my fork FOC and had very quick turnaround times.

Yeah, that's right. I just defended the Boxxer. :P

karpi

Monkey
Apr 17, 2006
Santiasco, Chile
I guess it would be more reasonable if manitou had certified representatives all around who could service your fork and have it ready in a day or two, but having to ship your fork all the way back to the factory is crazy. And, even if they did, 2775 dollars is just crazy, hell there are so many top of the line frames that sell for that, it makes no sense.... It seems bicycle are starting to cost the same as motorcycles! I wonder when we'll have them with engines and head lights..

10cannon

Chimp
Aug 31, 2008
living out of my car
I remember the 03,04 dorados and at the time they were around 1000-1200 depending on the model and I tried to pull up the reviews of the fork on mtbr and it's weird, the reviews are no longer there. Anyone else experience this?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I'm beginning to wonder if Intense is in bed with Answer Products... they keep using Revox and Dorado and Travis stuff on their bikes. It's sad, too... because Intense makes a great bike, but their factory spec. kinda' sucks.
Manitou was simply a sponsor of the Intense team (since 1999) and the Intense guys who are a very loyal company stuck with Manitou even through the manitou buyout/etc...stuck with manitou while the product stunk, etc...

Bear in mind the bulk of intense's complete bikes (build kits) are spec'd with FOX suspension. Point is, they (intense cycles) are not in bed with manitou...by any means.