Quantcast

new fork

p-spec

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2004
quebec
A shiver woud be nice if you coud find one.....um you coud go all ou t an dfin da old 2001 or 2002 monster t.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
Originally posted by freeriding101
its been reported that once you put the monsters on you forget how much they weigh but i think ill go for the shivs any way thnx
It's true...once you put monsters on you don't think about the weight. Except when trying to find your balance point wheeli-ing.:rolleyes:

Mar 27, 2004
baltimore and boulder
Forget the monster, although you are a bigger rider no one needs that much monstrosity. Check out the proven DH forks and see what you like, its tough to go wrong with any of the big names and you will find people to criticize/ rave about any of them. Persoanlly im a manitou fan, but I will admit that the dorado is not the stiffest fork on the market which may be in issue with you. I will have my new bike with sherman slider plus SPV this week, and I suspect it will be very stiff and also good for big hits.

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
at 280, I wouldn't ride anything but a monster. Try to find an 00-02 though. I'll agree the 03-04's are a bit overkill.

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Personally if you're 280 without riding gear, so figure what? almost 300lbs all suited up. I would suggest getting a older monster. As was mentioned before the newer models are HUGE, and you probably don't want that much fork. But the older ones I believe are 2-3 pounds lighter. weighing as much as you do I think that you'd notice the flex in smaller forks such as the super t's and boxxers etc. I've owned a monster, 2000 model, and have ridden many other forks. Nothing has been as smooth as that monster was. It was also really nice because you could point it in any direction and it'd just freight train over whatever was in it's way. Something that can't be said for any other fork I've ridden, although I have no experience on a shiver DC so it might ride like that also.

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
a fork that old is hard to find, a decent fork that old is even harder to find, plus for my bike the steerer on my bike need to be like 10 inches long so that makes it even harder AHHHHHHH

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
like 10 inches long so that makes it even harder AHHHHHHH
That's the real problem. They made the 7" 9.5ish-lb monster Ts untill 2002. Unlike some other companies, Marzocchi fully supports their forks and you will be albe to order anything should you need it, but another benefit from being the biggest, sturdiest, strongest, and most reliable fork is that they run forever. If you needed to order or fix anything, it's easy to do. The 2002s should have plenty of life left. The real problem is the steerer.

If you can't aquire one of these older ones, you'd probably be best off on an 03 Monster T, it will be the strongest and stiffest chassi around, and most everything else will not be worth your time. Once you look at how much forks like the risse with the"big daddy" stanchions and crowns weighs, or the avalanche Mtn series forks, you are at the same weight. Might as well go with the mainstream proven 03 Monster with the Shiver Mx cartridges. That is simply reality and there is no way around it at your weight.

Zoso

Monkey
Jan 31, 2003
Seattle
Zoke steerer tubes can be pressed out with a hydraulic press. You could probably send in the lower crown/steerer combo to Marzo and have them swap in a longer one. I'm sure you could make it work somehow.

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
02 Monsters all the way!!! The shiver will feels like a wet noodle for you! It are a heavyweight guy, even a 03 Monster should be ok. It weight 5.5Kg if you are 300 ready to go, it's like a Dorado (weightwise) for a 200 pound rider.

I prefer lighter stuff myself, but the performance and strenght on new or old Monsters will be your friend.

170 or 200 mm Monsters depends on what kind of frame you'r gonna use it with.

Like mentioned, a longer steerer can be pressed in.
Buy a 170 or 200 Monster, send it to Marz for a full refreshment incl loong steerer.

E

Zaskar Rider

Monkey
May 29, 2002
PNW
Originally posted by Zoso
Zoke steerer tubes can be pressed out with a hydraulic press. You could probably send in the lower crown/steerer combo to Marzo and have them swap in a longer one. I'm sure you could make it work somehow.

Zoso beat me to it, if you know how to do it or have a good shop around that has a hydro press they can swap a steerer for you for like $40. Oh and monsters get better with age ;) Plus the cool thing about zokes is they're fully rebuildable as long as the chassis isn't trashed. Then it probably wouldn't be worth the $$

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
buy the 888 works, they sell it for 1350 and it comes tuned to your weight and riding style. Thi swya you know when you get it, that it will be fully set up for you to rock out with your cock out

freeriding101

Monkey
May 11, 2004
Anacortes WA
iv heard reports from large ppl that zoke built it to be light so they get hairline cracks and leak oil, they came out this year, i think ill wait for a couple years so they can get the kinks out of them:monkey:

Espen

Monkey
Nov 25, 2001
Tigerstaden, Norway
If the fork is like new, its worth it. Price is ok, and what kind of other forks can be bought for 500$??

This fork is the right one for you. If its tall enough for your bike, go for it!

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
iv heard reports from large ppl that zoke built it to be light so they get hairline cracks and leak oil, they came out this year, i think ill wait for a couple years so they can get the kinks out of them:monkey:
yeah, the strength-to-weight with a 7.5lb 8" travel marzocchi with 35mm stanchions is not going to be very big, in fact less than with a super T. We aren't talking about carrying extra weight around just for the hell of it, in this case he needs all the extra strength he can get. While the 888 is a fantastic fork, you are really taking a chance with it in this regard.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
just found an 02 monster ridden under 5 miles only on pavement $525. tell me what you think of price
BUY IT. Marzocchi still makes everything to fix it IF there is a problem, AND due to the strength and rigidity of that fork, there is most likely absolutely nothing wrong with them, they go forever literally. You can decide if it really needs to be "rebuilt", but at your weight, and if you dont want the 13lb 8" 03 monster, then get this one, you will not regret it.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
I'd get an 03 Monster...heavier but more travel! The 99-02 Monsters had like 6.75" of travel?? Not a full 7" anyway.

If you decide on a pre-03 Monster, stay away from Pinkbike buy and sell. Those west coast kids are asking a lot for their forks!!