Quantcast

New Forks--What't the deal

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
When did forks get so expensive (especially for a trailbike fork), for a while they where all around $350 for a z-1, fox vanilla, manitou whatever... then BAM $850 for the Nixon, $900 or whatever for the Fox 36... What gives I have a good job and think that is stupid expensive.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Forks have skyrocketed in price - I guess it could be attributed to light weights, stiff forks, sophisticated damping and SPV technology etc. etc. But I agree with you - they are getting scary expensive.

If the Rock Shox Pikes and Rebas prove durable - they will be a really good value as they seem to be priced very competitively.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Err...

You're not making a proper comparison.

The Z.1s, Vanillas etc. still exist. But you're comparing forks that have been in the market and in development for years to forks with an inch more travel, more sophisticated damping systems, that are brand new on the market. What did you expect? The brand new, stiffer, lighter, better damped, longer travel forks would be priced at the same pricepoint as the manufacturer's old standby forks?

The "standard" forks haven't gone anywhere, there just happen to be some higher end forks introduced this past year.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
binary visions said:
Err...

You're not making a proper comparison.

The Z.1s, Vanillas etc. still exist. But you're comparing forks that have been in the market and in development for years to forks with an inch more travel, more sophisticated damping systems, that are brand new on the market. What did you expect? The brand new, stiffer, lighter, better damped, longer travel forks would be priced at the same pricepoint as the manufacturer's old standby forks?

The "standard" forks haven't gone anywhere, there just happen to be some higher end forks introduced this past year.

UH YES well at least in the same neighborhood price wise.... Yes you can still buy a z-1 or vanilla but they are creeping up near $500 too, the inflation in bike part prices just seems to high to me.. The price jump from an old Fox Vanilla rear coil over to the new stable platform shocks was not 2.5 x the old.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Leethal said:
UH YES well at least in the same neighborhood price wise.... Yes you can still buy a z-1 or vanilla but they are creeping up near $500 too, the inflation in bike part prices just seems to high to me.. The price jump from an old Fox Vanilla rear coil over to the new stable platform shocks was not 2.5 x the old.
Z.1 FR prices haven't changed significantly in years. I don't know about the Vanillas because they're not forks I've ever paid attention to, but I'd imagine that it's about the same.

The top of the line Marz. forks have been around $500 for a long time now..

S3C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Edmonton, AB
New 2005 Marzocchi Z1 FR III (lowest one) is $450.

Old 2004 Drop-off 2 (without 20mm axle) but same everything else: $315

The market needs some cheap, light, freeride forks.

S3C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Edmonton, AB
InsaneP2Rider said:
are you talking about the new Manitou Stance line?
I guess those would be lightweight, wouldn't they? (6.2 pounds on the flow). In about a week, i'll have one on my bike, so we'll see.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
S3C said:
The market needs some cheap, light, freeride forks.
:rolleyes:

So you want a lightweight fork that will stand up to freeriding abuse, AND you want it to be cheap?

What, exactly, would make you think that you can have cheap, light, AND strong forks?

S3C

Chimp
Jul 19, 2004
Edmonton, AB
binary visions said:
:rolleyes:

So you want a lightweight fork that will stand up to freeriding abuse, AND you want it to be cheap?
Yes

binary visions said:
What, exactly, would make you think that you can have cheap, light, AND strong forks?
Well maybe your idea of cheap, light and strong is different then mine? The Stance series seems to be very close to that, thats why I bought one. Who knows what will come out in years to come.