Quantcast

New GA Rider.

Feb 8, 2010
Carrollton GA
Hello,

I am new to the site want to be new to the sport of downhill mtb. My two wheel past includes 12 years of motocross racing all over the southeast. When I stopped riding due to injuries I was an amatuer expert class rider. I feel those experiences will aid me in my downhill endeavors substantially. I am looking for an entry level bike around $1500 that is solid enough to take the abuse a beginner will dish out. I am 26, 5.7-5.8, 175lbs, run and workout regularly, and am ready to roll! What do you guys recommend as far as bikes and do you have any you want to sell? Thanks!

Panda

Chimp
Nov 29, 2009
Louisiana
welcome. I used to ride MX also when I was younger and quit also b/c of injuries. DH is the same adrenialine rush but less busted knees and shoulders. Most guys that rode dirt bikes pick up MTBing faster than others. IDK if its confidence or bike handling they just do. And vica-versa. I think my buddy still has an 06 cannondale judge frame size small for sale. He very rarely rode it and its in excellent shape. It would prob fit you. PM me if interested.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah man,
Welcome aboard.
You are picking a great time to start racing in the Southeast.
At your height, something like a small Morewood Izimu would fit you well.
I just happen to know a great guy who is selling one. :dance:
Ha, I don't even have the bike for sale yet, but it you are interested,
I will sell the frame, Cane Creek 110 headset, and a boxxer team fork for $1500.
There is nothing entry level about that setup, but it would be a good solid setup for you, and the bike will not hold you back as you move up through the ranks.
Regardless, good luck getting a bike and getting out there!

BrianHudson

Chimp
Sep 26, 2009
Mobile Alabama
I'm also a has-been offroad motorcycle racer(AA rider/ 2x Alabama state enduro camp). You will have a good leg up on other beginner DH riders. I won the beg. class at the first DH race I went to. My first time to even see a DH trail . I moved up to sport class and have been getting my ass whipped, but having a great time. Cornering is the hardest part for me(can't power slide).

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Cornering is the hardest part for me(can't power slide).
Brian,
What is a power slide?[/QUOTE]

Lean bike, twist throttle, exit turn. it was my biggest issue coming from motos when I first tried MTB DH. I could bomb headlong down or through anything, then when I hit a turn, I'd throw a leg out looking at the exit and coast out losing all my speed. There was no throttle to twist on exit.:weee:

Feb 8, 2010
Carrollton GA
I understand and agree it is hard to learn, prob. the hardest technique to acquire effectively. I have a place a few minutes from my house that is a county owned park. They have 17 miles of trails that I have run before and they are killer! When I say "killer" I mean mountainous, washed out, and rocky great training grounds I assume?. Also, do you guys recommend knee braces?

wanabe

Monkey
Mar 16, 2007
I dont know where carollton is but us ATL boys ride together a lot. A demo 7 or a specialized SXtrail would be killer for all the local trails. The problem is that if your coming from moto you will probably get better than most pretty fast and you will want to travel to better places to ride (windrock, snowshoe, sugar, beach, or any other lift accessible resort). Then I would say step up to a full on DH rig w/8+ inches of rear travel w/a dual crown fork, especially if you want to race and be competitive.

Popular bikes around here are Specialized Demo8, Morewood Izimu, and the Turner DHR. All of these you should be able to find good deals on older models.

BrianHudson

Chimp
Sep 26, 2009
Mobile Alabama
If you have knee braces and they are comforable I say wear em. When riding downhill or freeride wear as much protective gear as you can stand. You can't get any faster when you're Injured.

PCC

Chimp
Dec 4, 2003
Ga, the flat part
. I have a place a few minutes from my house that is a county owned park. They have 17 miles of trails that I have run before and they are killer! When I say "killer" I mean mountainous, washed out, and rocky great training grounds I assume?. Also, do you guys recommend knee braces?
You talking about mcintosh?? I'm about 10 minutes from there. Man the local sorba group hates that trail because it's washed out, rooty and rocky, oh yeah they also dislike horses. Same thing with windridge, you should check out the sorba board to see all the whining they've done about those two trails.

Send me a pm if you want to ride sometime. I've got a spare vpfree you can try out.