Quantcast

New Guy lots of questions

omarkhan860

Chimp
Sep 19, 2008
Hey, I'm Omar I moved from the northeast (NY,CT,MA in that order) to Charleston, SC (unfortunately called the "lowcountry") I've hit some trails mainly in CT small mountains, and one in MA (local park) but using some generic mongoose dual suspension bike...

I lost all my generic bikes during the move so I am now looking to get a good mt. bike that I can hit some trails around here on(maybe I can ride to work as well)... I need dual suspension, I'm not exactly sure why but I feel it feels better?

the majority of trails I did were uphill dirt path type trails some rocks some woods etc... then the best part of course is getting to the top then going down the mountain. hitting small jumps and (what I say would be)precision turns.

I want to ride those type of trails around here and hopefully when I get experienced Jumps and stuff like that but I have no idea where I need to go... also I only have $350 to spend on the bike Maximum $500 (it's gotta be amazing for 500...)

some say I should just get another generic for around $100 but I want a nice mt. bike already... but who knows... I'm asking you what you think.

also, I've been riding motorcycles (not dirtbikes) since I was 17, I'll be 21 soon and I've got a monster truck like jeep wrangler that I hit some truck trails with.. so I'm used to getting dirty.

all I really know about mt. bikes is getting up and riding... i want to learn about properly gearing and real differences between dual and front suspension as well as maintnence and adjustments I need to make if I go trail riding

like i said I have no money I hardly have the 350 for the initial bike and I can push for 500 but it'll take me some time...

Help me out here pros!!

Thanks in advance

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Hey Omar. Welcome to RM.

Look into hardtails. You'll get more bang for your buck with a HT and for the kind of riding you refer to, a HT would be better anyway.

The kind of money you are looking to spend on a fully won't get you much and what you'll end up getting won't be trustworthy. Unless you look at secondhand bikes.

Good luck!

wrestlemania

Chimp
Aug 22, 2008
sector 7g
I agree I would look at getting a dirt jumper that can be ridden xc, something like a specialized P3. Good bike that can be ridden hard with ideal geometry for hitting jumps, you might also be able to find a used one in that price range. Brand new bikes in that range from the big box might make it one run before braking from hard riding. Really nice full suspension mountain bikes are between 5 to 8 grand brand new these days where as mid level bikes are just under in the 2 to 4 g range even for some of the more spendy hardtails. I would suggest checking out mtbr.com classifieds as I have had great success both buying and selling on there.

drumbum540

Monkey
Mar 24, 2008
Stephens City, VA
I agree on the hardtail Idea. If you are looking to get a full suspension mountain bike that wont fall to pieces in the first couple rides, you will be looking for years. I was into full suspension when I wanted my first true mountain bike, but I discovered that full suspension slows you down on uphill climbs. I had the same budget as you, $500. But I went to my LBS and they had a Scott reflex 20 that was sitting in the back room. It is an $850 bike, but I got it for $700. they stopped selling that brand so they were selling it cheap. I fell in love with this bike, but I wanted a bike "right now" and I did not have the money to do that. So, I decided to put down money on it, and they held onto it until I gathered up that much money. it took me months but it was definitely worth it. Classifieds are a great thing also. If you wanted a used bike, I would look for one within driving distance, so you can test it out. I hope you take our advice with the hardtails. full sspension might feel smoother, but I guarantee you will have more fun on a hardtail.

omarkhan860

Chimp
Sep 19, 2008
I'm not looking to do anything extreme... I haven't really done any jumps (not counting jumps less than like a foot..) is it possible to upgrade a hardtail to a dual after I get some more money? should I wait and save up so I can get the dual suspension that I want?

trebor

Chimp
Aug 23, 2008
I'm not looking to do anything extreme... I haven't really done any jumps (not counting jumps less than like a foot..) is it possible to upgrade a hardtail to a dual after I get some more money? should I wait and save up so I can get the dual suspension that I want?
it will cost you more money overall, but you can do it. Just buy yourself a decent used bike off of craigslist. go there with 50-100 bucks short and be like, ill give you this cash, if they say no say "well give me a min to get to the atm" and head to the atm... If they say "yes" go ahead and upgrade your drivetrain with the saved money. Then just save some money, buy a nice dual suspension frame and transfer the parts over... It's what my buddy is doing with my old bike.

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
Welcome to RM. And welcome to Charleston(the lowcountry) Sounds like you're mostly gonna be riding at Marrington(the only place to ride local) the trail there is pretty tame, but it is fun. Shoot me a PM, I may have something you can afford! PETE

lampy29

Chimp
Oct 16, 2008
Rochester
Hard tails are definitely a good idea. Check out the Gary Fisher line. They have a great line of well priced, with the low end starting at $500. I wouldn't go with anything cheaper than this because you need good enough components to have an enjoyable ride. Ask your Local Bike Store (LBS) on their suggestions and they may cut you a good deal.

Fleawest

Chimp
Apr 7, 2009
I have to agree with all these guys. I used to work in a bike shop and I would never put a serious rider on a full suspension bike with only $500 to spend. They make inexpensive full suspension bikes for 14 year olds to ride to friends houses not for actual mountain biking. With so many people losing their jobs, there are a lot of great bikes for sale on craigslist.org cheap cheap cheap. Snag one of those so you can get out and have some fun.