Quantcast

New guy question

wr-ecks

Chimp
Dec 7, 2008
So today at Collonade i managed to break a de-railer AGAIN. this is the 2nd time this month on 2 different bikes. I realize if your in a lower gear you have a better chance of sticking it into the spokes but i've been more careful and i did it again.

Oh and by the way, I ride a 03 kona stinky. And im obviously new to this so go easy on me.

Is there a way to keep this from happening? Some sort of aftermarket deal that keeps it from going into the spokes?? A de-railer every month is gonna get expensive.

or am i screwed and i have to deal with it? Thanks for any help.

-Jon

One a year is more like it for me...

I use a gadget that I got at my LBS - unfortunately, I have no idea who makes it - it replaces the nut at the end of the quick release skewer and is intended to transfer bending force to the axle rather than the derailleur hanger. It's fiddly to set up and makes it a pain in the ass to remove the rear wheel.

The jury's still out as to how well it works, although I have suffered a number of sticks tangled up in the chain and derailleur that usually would have broken something.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I used to break hangers all the time. You'll get better with time and that will aid with fewer breaks. I have seen a few products (like JBP mentioned) but I haven't personally used them. Keep spinning and try to always have a spare in your pack...seems like when I have a spare, I don't break it.

pumpkinator

Monkey
Dec 4, 2008
what kind of drive and derailuer are you riding? when was the last time it's been adjusted by a mechanic or rather when was the last itme it's been entirely tuned up? housing in what condition? bike fit properly? do you ride ONLY with your feet and rely on the bike to take the abuse or are you co-existing with the bike as in a mutual 50-50 agreement? clipped in or free and flat?

just questions to keep in mind and they may help.

goOd luck.

Last edited: