Quantcast

new handlebar time ....

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I should reiterate that although my post sounds like I'm anti-carbon bars, I'm not. You just have to remember they're a performance part and as such they need a little more TLC and a realistic appraisal of their viability. If you're not a dentist, racing WCs or super focussed on getting your bike as light as possible, in my opinion just run cheaper aluminium bars and replace them before they fatigue themselves to death.

There's an ENVE bar and stem combo review on the BIKE homepage and I think they retail for half the cost of a good suspension fork.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
Atlas 35mm currently on the big bike
Chromag bza35 carbon on the little bike

Have run both bars on both bikes. For me the atlas run a bit smoother and generally prefer them to the Bza's.

so basically just one more alloy for the win

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Need a new bar for my trail bike. What is everyone using these days?

I'd like +/- 250g, 780 width, 31.8, not opposed to metal if weight is there. I'm pretty good about rotating out bars every 2-3 years. Is anyone's carbon bar stronger against crash damage than any others?
Been rocking the Answer Protaper Carbon DH for a few years. My philosophy is this, for AM/general riding, buy a carbon DH bar, which will weigh about the same as a high end not-DH aluminium bar, but be far stronger. That's the piece of mind I like. This thing is seriously thick and the low-rise is great.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Changed out my bars for 35mm Carbon on the CX bike. One company makes 35mm Road/CX handlebars and stem. Be it material, or bar/stem interface, or a combination of the two - I feel large increases in comfort at the wrists. All my other bars on all my bikes have been ChroMo or Aluminum.

My Iron Horse is quite heavy - must be close to 36lbs. I am approaching 190 if nuded-out. (PM me for all the sketchy details) Perhaps the weight of the bike would further enable benefits of material over material, something to consider of course.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
What's the current stem du jour?
Currently have 740mm 9/5deg 20mm rise Easton Haven bars and 55mm Haven stem on my trail bike.

Considering changing to 780 bars and 50mm stem to match my DH bike, but obviously can't purchase anything without it being RM approved. Will I be laughed at if I don't go 35mm (DH bike isn't)?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Currently have 740mm 9/5deg 20mm rise Easton Haven bars and 55mm Haven stem on my trail bike.

Considering changing to 780 bars and 50mm stem to match my DH bike, but obviously can't purchase anything without it being RM approved. Will I be laughed at if I don't go 35mm (DH bike isn't)?
idk, i have a 40mm stem on my spitfire and realllllllly like it. it's a truvativ boat anchor i mean hussefelt, but it was cheap and i needed a short stem.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That's actually the exact stem I was considering. Wife has the 60mm version on her bike.

Handlebars I was considering Syntace Vectors or SIXC's if I can find them at an agreeable price.
@HAB was the one who turned me onto it, as that's what he runs. i have historically found his opinions to be quite reliable.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are

I'll lend you a 50mm thomson for your 55mm haven if you want, so you can try it out before buying.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
No need for 35mm IMO unless the parts you want force you to change.
I switched to 35 on my DH since the lighter options seemed to require it, but still running the 31.8 785 SIXC with a cheap 50mm/120g kore stem on trailbike. Seems solid.

Also running the 800 wide SIXC on DH bike, 35 clamp and 35 rise.

210g for the SixC sure is light.
I'm gonna throw on a heavy metal chromag bar while I think about it, and research DIY carbon repair for deep gouges.
Hey FYI (since I just saw this), the 31.8 / 785 SIXC is heavier at 225-235g actual (I've had a couple) and it's also been around for a damn long time. I think if you wanted the "safest bet" carbon bar it's probably the best choice if still available. I've run mine for a long time and looks like a few others here have too.

Last edited:

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Same as always: Thomson.
Whenever I needed a stem in the past 10-12 years, I just bought a Thomson of the length I needed and that was the end of it. There are probably other good options, but I wouldn't know... :P I use them on my mtb, BMX and road bike.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hey FYI (since I just saw this), the 31.8 / 785 SIXC is heavier at 225-235g actual (I've had a couple) and it's also been around for a damn long time. I think if you wanted the "safest bet" carbon bar it's probably the best choice if still available. I've run mine for a long time and looks like a few others here have too.
I picked up another OSX for a HUGE weight penalty ... we're all good for the moment. :thumb:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I'm sorry to hear that. Is she OK?
I heard on here that a coroner ruled the death of a former monkey "death likely due to a stem over 50mm". Hope she's OK.
He rode really wide bars and a negative length stem for your sins.

Seat post angle is a little too vertical IMO. I won't even get into the grip comfort.

Last edited:

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
In all fairness, you should tell him that you only do night rides. :D

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005

I use the sensitive one, so does kidwoo.
He puts it on my carbon bars, and since he doesn't run carbon bars, I put it on his hot body instead.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Can I un-recommend a product I use twice in one thread? I have the Renthal Apex and it's stupid. The clamps wrap around the bar about 210 degrees, which I understand from a performance angle, but they're not very well contoured and installing them without scratching the bars is damn near impossible. They also don't have the torque spec etched on them like Race Face and Thompson stems, nor is it on their website, the only place I was able to find it was on YT's component specs.

Now that I think about it, my whole cockpit is a mess, I should really look into that.

I have a newish Race Face Turbine on my old-as-shit Yeti, and its great, would 100% recommend one, it would be on my Carbine if it weren't too long.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I just bought a Forte clutch carbon riser bar. Almost the same specs as my stock alloy bars but thinner so I had to buy a new stem. Currently on sale for $70. 31.8mm, 780mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep. I like them, for them being my first carbon bar.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
I just bought a Forte clutch carbon riser bar. Almost the same specs as my stock alloy bars but thinner so I had to buy a new stem. Currently on sale for $70. 31.8mm, 780mm, 15mm rise, 9 degree sweep. I like them, for them being my first carbon bar.
Cheap carbon bars - sign me up! :twitch:

Seems to match your sig though I don't know where the good time will come from. Hot nurses maybe?

jks - never heard of Forte, they might be totally fine.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Syntace Vector Carbon.
VR3 Certified for DH use.
10 year warranty.
Great feel, various bend and sweep options.

Only downside is 780 max width. I wanted 800 for the DH but what are you going to do.
I have on on the DH bike, much betterer than the Easton carbon on the trail bike.

Recomended.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Only downside with the Clutch is that they only have 31.8 so I had to get a new stem, my alloys are 35mm. Got a Raceface for like $30 and I used points, so I didn't even pay $100 for the new setup. Love cheap upgrades.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Vibrator-cores look super tempting... do they make them in 35mm?
Nawp, spanks are 31.8 only.

I've been running the Anvl 35mm carbon bars with the Anvl Mandrel stem for the past 2 years (first on the Zesty 527 and now on the 2017 RIP9 RDO), Love them super comfy shape, stiff but still good vibration dampening, way more comfy than the Envy's on the hardtail.
If I was going to go away from these I'd def go to the Virbrocores, got a few of my customers onto them and they love the feel.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
If I was going to go away from these I'd def go to the Virbrocores, got a few of my customers onto them and they love the feel.
Placebo effect, for sure. There was a test published in a German bike mag (you know, with vibration sensors and such, not just "I rode it around the block and it felt waaaaaay better than a broomstick") which showed no appreciable differences to regular handlebars.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Placebo effect, for sure. There was a test published in a German bike mag (you know, with vibration sensors and such, not just "I rode it around the block and it felt waaaaaay better than a broomstick") which showed no appreciable differences to regular handlebars.
Could you find a link or mag name? I'm interested in reading this.

Loki87

Monkey
Aug 24, 2008
Salzburg, Austria
Could you find a link or mag name? I'm interested in reading this.
http://www.bike-magazin.de/komponenten/lenker_vorbauten/test-2016-spank-vibrocore/a33999.html

They say there´s no difference in feel for all their testriders. Also the numbers suggest there´s no real difference between all 3 bars.

To be fair, there´s probably no way to tell a difference without precise measuring because tires have a huge impact on how the rider experiences vibrations from the bars. Even trail knowledge and line choice improving during a test session may lead to perceived differences because the rider starts choosing better lines. So i´d take any real world experience on such things with a grain of salt. If the guy was excited to test out the new bars and went for a ride without checking tire pressure, that´s most likely the biggest reason for the positive reviews in many cases.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
http://www.bike-magazin.de/komponenten/lenker_vorbauten/test-2016-spank-vibrocore/a33999.html

They say there´s no difference in feel for all their testriders. Also the numbers suggest there´s no real difference between all 3 bars. If the guy was excited to test out the new bars and went for a ride without checking tire pressure, that´s most likely the biggest reason for the positive reviews in many cases.
I wonder what would happen if someone put a bunch of cock rings on a handlebar.