Quantcast

New Home...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Here is the job I worked on the design of and I'm currently managing the construction of.

I'll post more as we get further but I'm sure you guys can tell from the foundation walls it ain't gonna be a N8-O-Box.

The closest foundations are for the garage.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
holy bejesus man. I didn't realize you did residential work. That place looks friggin huge. Is that the garage in the foreground o the pic? with 4 bays???

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
holy bejesus man. I didn't realize you did residential work. That place looks friggin huge. Is that the garage in the foreground o the pic? with 4 bays???
3 and 1/2 bays. The 1/2 bay is for the lawn mower or something.

The house isn't HUGE per say. It's all mainly on one floor, there is a small 2 story section. The best part which is hard to see is the deck and back of the house is hanging out over the top of a fairly steep hill.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Tell 'em they have to get radiant floor heating in the garage... Everyone else is doing it... ;)

Good seeing you again, bro.
It's everywhere in the house but the garage. ;)

Good seeing you too!

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
The radiant guy was pushing for it but the owner isn't "Hanging out" in his garage. It will be temperate enough without it.
Hell... if my garage had radiant floor heat, we'd practically live out there...

I'm seriously considering laying down radiant tubing under my driveway and sidewalk when I get them redone... Neither is very big and the idea of never shovelling snow again has appeal...

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Hell... if my garage had radiant floor heat, we'd practically live out there...

I'm seriously considering laying down radiant tubing under my driveway and sidewalk when I get them redone... Neither is very big and the idea of never shovelling snow again has appeal...
Is your boiler able to handle it?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
let me know when you sac up and do a whole house yourself, from the financing to the design to the marketing to the sale...

:disgust1:
Just because you bought plans off HGTV doesn't mean you designed a house.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
Nice man. I like the multi level layout to sit the sloped site. I just had a client ask me to build him a 3200sq ft. garage/ shop with a mother in law unit on top. He has 12acs. with a large creek and lots of redwoods. This should be a cool job. He wants to spare no expense! It will have river rock 4' up the wall (at a bit of an angle), and cedar shingles on top. He wants a copper roof, but he does't know just how expensive they are yet.

Ian F

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
Philadelphia area
Is your boiler able to handle it?
My house is forced air, oil heat, so I'd install a dedicated system for it. I've done some research about it and for what I need it to do, not much is needed... doesn't need to be warm, just not freezing, so a small water heater with a circulating pump and a 50/50 glycol/water mix will do.

If I was planning to heat the house with it (larger DeltaT) or I was running a radiator system with higher water temps, it'd be a different story.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Nice man. I like the multi level layout to sit the sloped site. I just had a client ask me to build him a 3200sq ft. garage/ shop with a mother in law unit on top. He has 12acs. with a large creek and lots of redwoods. This should be a cool job. He wants to spare no expense! It will have river rock 4' up the wall (at a bit of an angle), and cedar shingles on top. He wants a copper roof, but he does't know just how expensive they are yet.
You in Cali?

The price of copper has gone down quite a bit. We're doing a standing seam red roof on this house with stucco siding and board and batton siding. It's going to be great!
What window company are you using?

Cynic's view:

It's clear that an architect has been involved because nothing's at right angles; the structural mishmash will have 47 non-orthagonal rooflines, most of which will leak where they join. Between building costs, maintenance and taxes, the owner will go bankrupt.

kindtrails

Monkey
May 23, 2006
Humboldt
We haven't gotten that far. At this point, my client is drawing sketches and picking materials. He is thinking of some huge windows. The north wall in his sketches is 35 feet tall. With 12 foot tall garage walls, that is still a pretty tall second story. He has huge banks of mulled windows in his sketches. I am thinking of doing a commercial window system with aluminum mulls. He has a cousin who is an arcitect. So he is drawing the plans up. He is also thinking of that roofing material that are solar tiles.(I think those are more expensive than copper.). He expressed to me that he has a budget of 250k to dry the building in. At first I thoght no problem, but now that I see his sketches I am not sure that will even dry the building in!