Quantcast

New iPods.....again

speedster

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
downhillzeypher said:
$500? ... I'd think about it if they'd put the photo thing on the mini, but the normal ipod is a frikin behemoth.
The normal ipod is only fractionally larger than the mini...I had them side by side and they are very close in size, and for the money the normal ipod is a much better deal if you ask me.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
downhillzeypher said:
$500? ... I'd think about it if they'd put the photo thing on the mini, but the normal ipod is a frikin behemoth.
It actually fits in your pocket quite well and isn't that heavy.

gschuette

Monkey
Sep 22, 2004
Truck
If you compare it to other players on the market then it is frikin huge and it weighs a ton. That is why I didn't buy one. And they can skip. They are not MTB friendly.

100 posts! Hell Yeah!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
gschuette said:
If you compare it to other players on the market then it is frikin huge and it weighs a ton. That is why I didn't buy one. And they can skip. They are not MTB friendly.

100 posts! Hell Yeah!
um, what? you are comparing it to other hard drive players, right? b/c comparing it to a 128 MB flash mp3 player is plain stupid.

4.1 x 2.4 x 0.69 inches, 6.2 ounces for the 40 GB, slightly less depth and weight for the 20. "frikin huge" :rolleyes: . as for skipping, it has a "up to 25 minutes" buffer, so unless you like shaking it for 20+ minutes at a time then it wouldn't skip.

RaID

Turbo Monkey
i really dont see the need for th iPod photo
its not like youre gonna be listening to your music and watching photos

the only reason id see is for pro photographers to store their pics on there
but you can do that on a normal ipod anyway

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Toshi said:
as for skipping, it has a "up to 25 minutes" buffer, so unless you like shaking it for 20+ minutes at a time then it wouldn't skip.
Do you actually own one? I love my iPod, there's nothing better, but it definitely does skip. Not in the middle of a song (although I have many tracks well over 20 min), but rather when selecting a new song, if the iPod is in motion, the read will fail and it will just jump to the next track. Very irritating when using it in the car.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
quadricolour said:
Do you actually own one? I love my iPod, there's nothing better, but it definitely does skip. Not in the middle of a song (although I have many tracks well over 20 min), but rather when selecting a new song, if the iPod is in motion, the read will fail and it will just jump to the next track. Very irritating when using it in the car.
yeah, i've had a 1G 5GB model since march 2002. i haven't noticed it skipping, possibly because the headphone connection is flaky nowadays :D

Jul 26, 2004
Seattle, WA
if you want the photo, dont get the ipod. there are a lot better and cheaper units out there.

i've got myself an archos av340. http://www.archos.com/products/av300_series.html

cost about $70 more than the 40gb ipod at the time. and it blows it away.
it plays mp3's
it displays photos
it's got a 3.8" LCD screen and it will play DivX video's, awesome for those downloaded
its got an av output to watch said DivX movies on your TV.
it can record video direct from your TV/camera/VCR.
it will also record audio with a built in mic, or using a line-in.
it has an add-on optional FM reciever.
it's got an optional add-on 3megapixel camera.

it rocks. does sooo much more than ipod.

archos also has smaller units that have less video features (gmini, and av140). check out the gmini 220, smaller and cheaper than the ipod. or the xs200 WAY smaller (2.9"x2.3") but its not out yet.
http://www.archos.com/products/overview/gmini_xs200.html

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
just the fact that you can get a john mayer cover for an ipod would keep me from buying one.

i agree about the photo thing...who needs to schlep around all that?

mcA896

Turbo Monkey
Aug 15, 2003
Cape Cod, MA
OMG!

why? what if you wanna listen to the song before the one your currently listenin to and you have a 100+ song playlist? ya gotta scroll thru everyone to get to the one ya want

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that's really funny

edit - the footnotes are great:

2 - Please consult your Los Angeles physician before trying to lip-sync for 12 hours straight.

mack

Turbo Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
Colorado

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
mcA896 said:
OMG!

why? what if you wanna listen to the song before the one your currently listenin to and you have a 100+ song playlist? ya gotta scroll thru everyone to get to the one ya want
say what? does the |<< button not do what i think it does?

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
A guy here at work just got the Photo iPod and got to play with it yesterday..pretty darn cool if you ask me! it also plays music, got a calendar, address book, plays audio books, etc... Pretty powerful little gadget. I just don't have the $$ to get one tho...

quadricolour

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Cambria, CA
Acadian said:
A guy here at work just got the Photo iPod and got to play with it yesterday..pretty darn cool if you ask me! it also plays music, got a calendar, address book, plays audio books, etc... Pretty powerful little gadget. I just don't have the $$ to get one tho...
I should hope so! :think:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
My iPod Mini has a music guessing game, it takes the first 5 seconds of a song and gives you 4 choices to guess it.

That entertained me for 8 hours flying back from Copenhagen.

Now I'll have 20 hours from Seoul, I think I need a bigger iPod :dead:

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
the Inbred said:
i think you need a Dell DJ
If we had brought out the DJ5 a year ago I wouldn't have an iPod ;)

It's all about the form factor, small, lightweight for the gym and travel. My wife has a DJ20 that she uses in the car. We just brought out a new 20GB that's the same size/weight as an iPod. Now the competition heats up.