Quantcast

New iPods: september 5th

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Yeah, so I guess everybody got the word:

From Infinite Loop: http://arstechnica.com/journals/apple.ars/p2

"Again, people, this is what you get for leaving the house for two hours. I go, have a few beers, and come home to this in my inbox. Apple has sent out official invites to the September 5 event that we previously reported on. It takes place on Wednesday of next week at 10am Pacific Time at Moscone West in San Francisco.

It's expected that a variety of new iPods will make their debut at this event, and the inclusion of Cover Flow in the invite indicates that an iPod with iPhone-like iPod capabilities will be rolling out. "True" video iPod? Yes please!

But there's one more hint buried in this invite. "The beat goes on" is a Beatles reference—the last line of a press release issued by Apple Corps. announcing the split of the group. What with the addition of Ringo Starr's catalog today to iTunes, can we expect to see fullscreen video iPods and a Beatles debut on iTunes next week?"

DirtyDog

Gang probed by the Golden Banana
Aug 2, 2005
That new wifi ipod is awesome. Argh.... must..... resist......

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
what's the big lure of the wifi ipod? wireless file transfer? big deal.

hopefully they will have a new version of iTunes which isn't a complete resource hog...granted i've got a much larger than normal music library, but it shouldn't drag my 2GB of RAM down to a crawl.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river

hopefully they will have a new version of iTunes which isn't a complete resource hog...granted i've got a much larger than normal music library, but it shouldn't drag my 2GB of RAM down to a crawl.
You know you don't *have* to use iTunes to manage your iPOS, dontcha?

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.

It has Safari for the intardnets

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I could give a rip about wireless file transfer. I think it could be an awesome device to use as a pocket PC. Wireless hot spots are everywhere in a decent sized city. From where I'm sitting I can see 4 of them, 3 are unsecured. My whole campus is blanketed in a wireless network. I've got one at work, there are usually ones where you eat... Heck, Jenn has found several when we stop for gas on road trips.

That means internet anywhere. There's a hundred great uses for that. And since I don't care about the actual phone part of the iPhone... The iPhone's popularity means that applications are going to be designed all over the place for this, which increases its utility. I want a PDA for the purpose of a calendar, to-do list, reading material, etc. but I don't want the bulk. This is a great little tool.

Rumors of the iPod being Bluetooth compatible could even make it a usable device for making VoIP calls.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey, a whopping 160 GIGS for the new (old) iPod "classic".

Now, that's a nice portable hard drive right there.

I heard it plays music too...

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
does anyone else feel like they are the only person in the northern hemisphere who really doesn't care when the next new iPod comes out or what it will do?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
I played with an iPod touch in BestBuy yesterday. Man, what a gem of a device. Slick interface, slick navigation, beautiful little screen. I want one :drool:

Didn't do any real text input since I was in a hurry, would like to mess with that a bit and I also was very confused that there seemed to be no way to edit the built-in calendar. Who the hell makes a calendar on a text-input capable device that you can't add appointments to?

goofy

Monkey
Mar 20, 2004
olney md.
B.V. I love mine. Yes there is no way (yet) to edit the calendar, one of my main complaints (also no disk-enabled feature)

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
As far as I'm concerned, no calendar editing features means no sale for me.

Not that I have the bucks for one right now anyway, just sayin'. It'd be a quasi-PDA/media center for me and without a calendar application, it's dead in the water. I can't possibly fathom what Apple was thinking. The point of the device is to be portable, so why introduce a feature that can't be used without being tethered to the computer?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
They need to fix the calendar and double the capacity to 30gb, and I'll be on board. The calendar was just stupid. The 30gb flash capacity needs another year before it'll be affordable. Then I'll be snatching one up for sure.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
calendar was stupid. the iPhone has all those features, tho... cave in, get one!

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
iPhone doesn't have the capacity I want. In any event, I don't want the phone or the camera part of the iPhone, so there's no reason for me to pay for it and have the added bulk as well.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
If they come out with a 30 gig iTouch or iphone(my sprint plan should be done with by then) next year, I'll bite.

I bought a zune to play with.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
I played with an iPod touch in BestBuy yesterday. Man, what a gem of a device. Slick interface, slick navigation, beautiful little screen. I want one :drool:

Didn't do any real text input since I was in a hurry, would like to mess with that a bit and I also was very confused that there seemed to be no way to edit the built-in calendar. Who the hell makes a calendar on a text-input capable device that you can't add appointments to?
Not anymore! It's been jailbroke

http://www.hacktheipodtouch.com/

All kind of great apps for the Touch are showing up; it suddently looks REALLY more interesting:busted: