Quantcast

New Kit for 2012

ocelot

Monkey
Mar 8, 2009
Canadastan
My Saint has been hit so many times and it still shifts as well as it did the day I bought it. I don't care much for shifting quality for DH, but a nice durable derailleur like the Saint is going to last you a long time...

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
Write both on paper, put into hat, now pick one. Both good components as long as you take care of them. Cant go wrong with either.

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
What do you have on your other rides? Makes sense to use something compatible across all rides so you can swap out broken parts as a quick fix

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
its really personal preference, I started with shimano years ago, moved to sram stuff, and now im back with picking shimano for most of my drive train components. I prefer the crisp feeling of shimano over the smoother but sometimes weak feeling sram.

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
What do you have on your other rides? Makes sense to use something compatible across all rides so you can swap out broken parts as a quick fix
I have a Shimano Deore on my Gary Fisher, but thats not along the same line as the saint by any means. and my 951 has an x7, garbage i know because i broke a derailuer in 2 runs. but i have heard good things about x.o

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Eh, an X7 derailleur is ok if it's paired to an X0 shifter. I too have experienced a shorter lifespan with an X7 versus and X9 or X0.
they last just as long as the X9's ive used and break just as easily on rox or sticks. the performance really isnt any different nor is the weight, so i opt for X7

If you were a hack you would think the same thing too
ah, silly me

Aug 25, 2011
West Milford, NJ, 'MERICA
Thing is, I had a previous x7 from an older model derailuer, built heavier, but more durable. i slammed into a tree during a fishtale. kept going but the derailuer bent into the spokes. That was 3 years of x.7 riding on the same derailuer. Got a newer 2011 x7. built lighter, but ****tier. broke it in 4 runs/:

armada

Monkey
Aug 27, 2010
my x7s are failing at the little metal part that prevents it from smashing into your frame from under the frame, i have broken 4 derauliers this year and then went for the x9 which works great :D

DhDork

Monkey
Mar 30, 2007
Hell, AZ
add X7 derailluers to fail under the JRA problem
2nd run on mine ever, at Angel Fire, the cage spring lost all tension. Went back to running the X9, no problems since. The new design has held up to a bit more abuse than the old one used to.

Tetreault said:
I prefer the crisp feeling of shimano over the smoother but sometimes weak feeling sram.
You sure you don't have that backwards? I know the cheap Sram can feel weak, but the X9 and X0 is the most crisp, solid shift I've felt out of any made. Now, the Shimano is a clean, light feeling, smoother shift, almost to the point of, "did i just shift?". Thus why I run the shimano chains and cassettes with the Sram derailleurs and shifters. Nice solid, crisp engagement with a clean, smooth shift on the cluster, and with a higher tension derailluer, it tends to stay in gear better over the rough.