Quantcast

New Lift-Assisted Mountain Bike Park, Asheville

Apr 26, 2008
The two nice days of rain this week turned into three long days that have limited bobkitten work to the open, sunny slope. That does mean the beginner trail is going to be sweet but without a machine in the woods, I cannot finish big features in the park. Like three of the road gaps, that just need a little bobkitten compaction - but that's not happening until it dries out, which I would say could be as late as Saturday afternoon. More rain would certainly force us to postpone our grand opening.

The loam is snot-slick right now, but there are a few trails could be rideable like Village DH, Easy Does It and a nice road gap on Park Connector.

Making a tough call here; whether we can open on Saturday, or even Sunday. We will pursue all options to open the park, but I am posting this is a heads-up to the reality that our opening may be postponed due to conditions.

For those traveling from afar, don't cancel your plans just yet. We are going to make the final call in the morning, and I will try to open the park using the rideable trails and features.

I will post an update asap.

Apr 26, 2008
Due to conditions, 26 West has postponed opening the park until June 14 and 15. We had more rain this morning and that sealed the deal for postponing the opening.

The weekend of June 7 and 8 is the annual Wolfridge Hill Climb automotive race. During the race, Wolfridge road is shut down and only allows shuttles to use the road for 10 minutes every hour. That means we cannot shuttle enough bikes frequently enough to open.

Currently, the trails are too soft and slick to open; plus, I did not want to ruin the trails and create more work.

If you have further questions, please call me at 828-553-5856.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Yesterday I had the opportunity to go snap some pics of the progress up at 26 West. Ryan has done a TON of work up there and it's going to be a crazy place. There is no less than 5 decent size road gaps, a ton of table tops and some sweet single track. I can't stress enough the need to support this place - we could feasibly see it open year round and it has the potential to gain twice the land that it's currently on.

As some of you know, I currently have a broken left shoulder and right wrist, so I basically have half a hand to take pictures with and the quality shows. I had to use the full automatic mode of my camera and it was pretty much impossible to get any good angles. Plus I'm definitely no highrevs behind the lens. :clue:

I took about 50 pics but most are pretty boring and I haven't had time to go edit all of them. So here's a few to tide the skeptics over...

This is the last pic I took and it was getting dark, hence the terrible quality. It's one of the road gaps on Facebreak with Ryan standing in the middle for reference. The takeoff is on the far left and the landing is on the very far right. I'm not good at judging distances but it's pretty big:

I actually walked the entire DH race trail and documented the whole thing and the rest of the pics are from that. The first picture is the entrance to this trail which is right beside the tunnel at the top of the ski slope. You can see it starts off tight and drops to the left and crosses a ladder bridge:

This next picture is shortly after the ladder bridge. On the left you can see there is a gap step down (bigger in real life) followed by 3 decent sized table tops (out of focus I know). All of these jumps are currently shaped only by the bobcat but Ryan had planned to shape them by hand today until the rain probably ruined that.

After the tables, the trail goes thru some technical sections and starts dropping. This next one is of a REALLY tight bench cut (think 6 inches) after a 90 degree turn. Doesn't look like it in the picture but missing the turn or falling to the left off the cut could be really ugly. If you participated in the race last year, this is above where the hip jump was.

After the bench cut, I walked into the woods for a few minutes, then I rounded a left-hand corner and the hill dropped steeply with a good sized table at the bottom. Once again, the picture does no justice whatsoever.

And closer to the table:

The entire bottom section of the DH race trail is tight Pisgah-esq single track:

Needless to say, I absolutely can't wait to heal up. This place is gonna be off the charts in 2 weeks. I'd go ahead and start making plans now. :cheers:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Nice shots man. I have been trying to find the time myself to get up there and take some pics. Glad you were able to. I hope to be back on the bike for some lighter riding by then, time will tell.

steve owens

Chimp
May 22, 2008
Hendersonville,N.C.
Nice pics kenan. Can't wait to get up there on the 14th. I guess I'll have to make due this weekend by shuttling some pisgah trails.Oh well. Things could be worse. The first picture of the road gap was nice. It does look pretty big.

GPERKINS

Monkey
Jul 25, 2007
Timberlake
26 West Trails:

1. Village DH - Black Diamond
2. Park Connector - Black Diamond
3. Yo-B - Intermediate
4. Bunny Slope - Beginner
5. EZ Does It - Beginner
6. Stilzation - Intermediate
7. Facebrake - Double Black Diamond
8. Super D - Intermediate

Trail Descrips:
1. Village DH - Fast. Starts with tight bench-cut; goes into tight woods; 3 wideopen tables 20'+ into S-turn; off-camber; off-camber to long table to fast woods finishing section. Doesn't touch the ski slope after leaving the tunnel. Cool.
2. Park Connector - It will make you want to learn to ride like Gerritt. Swoopy and quick into corners and 25' road gap to g-force right hand berm to terrain park to fast run-in havin' 30+ road gap into woods into lift chair and repeat. Runon sentence.
3. Yo-B - Good rock garden into mini "A-line". Read: mini.
4. Bu...
5. EZ Does It - 1993 nationals. Open slope with a little woods. Fun.
6. Stilzation - Just like the man, one you wouldn't want to miss. Tight singletrack into step-downs onto slope and back into woods. He would rip it.
7. Facebreak - Mach 5 into double to road gap to double to road gap into hip. Fast straight into sketchy corners into Pisgah singletrack. The second road gap steps down a bit like the race course step-down did last year. Big trees around, though.
8. Super-D - Good momentum (ONCE IT PACKS AFTER IT IS RIDDEN A LOT) into steep, bloody-awful grunt of a minute or 9 climb. Dumps onto old road bed that has two big tables on it now. More to come in future for sure. Finishes with singletrack. Time-wise, longest run. Could be one of the top super-d courses in the area.

Our web site should be live before the weekend.

I have been working a good bit and am very excited to offer the park to the region. Guys and gals, if this park is a hit, we'll be riding 10, 11 or even 12 months a year in a very, very short time.

For more information please call me on my cell phone:828-553-5856.

Thanks and see you this weekend,
Ryan
so is Village DH the race course or not? and how long do you think these runs are?

and does anyone know the race dates?

Thanks,

Austin

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Closest stuff is back down the road a ways toward Asheville. There's a nice place on the river in Alexander just down the road from Alexander Park MTB area (currently no trail map for the new Alexander trail additions FYI).

Apr 26, 2008
26 West Mountain Bike Park will host the 2nd annual NC State DH Champs! Proposed race date is October 11-12 or 18-19. The 2008 race course again starts high on the open ridgeline and descends to the stepdown/tunnel, but changes course immediately from 2007's race course after exiting the tunnel.

At the stepdown and tunnel entrance, the race course merges into the bike park's Village DH trail, which will be the trail used to determine who will be this year's champs. Note: the upper ridgeline part of the race course is for race use only and will not be used in the bike park, nor will it ride-able at any other time.

Another possible race date is July 18-19, but I am not sure if this conflicts other events. The Village DH needs a few rains and packing-in before we race on it.

The longest run in the park should be Super-D, as it has a climb in the middle of the descent and is one of the longest runs in length. Also, the Village DH (from where it starts in the park at the upper lift and through the tunnel - not starting from the upper ridgeline) and Yo-B are long runs.

Trail times will vary from 2 - 10 minutes, that's my best guess right now. I can say there is more land available, and it is steep and fast. Future trails could offer several more minutes of descending.

The closest camping that I know of is located in the Coleman Boundary. I think this is part of the Pisgah National Forest. It offers primitive camping and nice singletrack, but is 25 minutes or more from the park. It's near Burnsville, NC.

Apr 26, 2008
The race course will have roughly 700' of elevation drop. The bike park offers roughly 400 - 450' of elevation drop.

Next year, the park will expand to the lower acreage of Breakaway Village, which will mean the park will offer nearly 800' of elevation drop!

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Does anyone have the physical address of the bike park? Tryin to set up the GPS route for next weekend. Thanks!!
TryThis:

1911 Wolf Ridge Road
Mars Hill, NC 28754

[From the Breakaway Village Website so don't hold me to it but I know its's on Wolf Ridge Rd.]

DHPeteinSC

Monkey
Nov 17, 2006
In the KY (jelly) E-town
TryThis:

1911 Wolf Ridge Road
Mars Hill, NC 28754

[From the Breakaway Village Website so don't hold me to it but I know its's on Wolf Ridge Rd.]
Yea, I've been checkin on google earth (wish they would update their feed) to see the layout around Breakaway. Looks Pretty cool though. Cant wait!!! Ryan, if you're out there and could give better directions that would be great. Thanks

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Dude. Get on I26 and take the exit that says "Wolf Laurel". Turn Right on the road that runs parallel to I26. Then take your next two lefts. Follow that road a few miles til you see a big log sign and turn Rt up one steep mother of a paved road.

Drive to Breakaway Village.

Dug all day til 6pm with Ryan today. So very tired. Hands raw. Good night!

Feb 13, 2005
NC
As far as I know the lifts will carry people and Ryan will have a trailer for the bikes. Ryan had his guys training on the lift a couple of weeks ago. I even took a test ride up the mountain.:banana:
Thanks for the info. Hoping to get lots of runs in on Saturday.

My son will be on a white Enduro. I'll be the squid on the blue & white Glory.

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
Just got a message from Ryan that said they will definitely be open tomorrow from 10am - 6pm but they WILL NOT be accepting credit cards this weekend! Bring cash with you! The nearest ATM is at the gas station right off the exit. I'll see if I can get anymore info.