Quantcast

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
bholwell: I can't find the answer to this on the Maxxis site, so hopefully you can enlighten.

The 2.5 UST High Roller is now offered in two compounds, a "single ST" and a "dual" compound. I'm assuming the single compound is Super Tacky, but what about the other one? Is that the same as what was called the Maxxpro 60a last year? Something new?
I've used and liked the 2.5 UST Maxxpro 60a HR, but I've had a couple of them get holes through the tread from rocks, whereas that has never happened for me on the ST. I'd like the rubber compound of the 60a with the casing durability that I've experienced with the ST, in an ideal world.
Yes, you are correct in that the single compound version that's available in the States is the SuperTacky. The other dual compound version that's available elsewhere actually uses the MaxxPro 60a compound as the outer layer of the tread. The base layer is a different compound, which is needed for air retention. At this time I'm not aware of any plans to bring this tire into the States. But if there is ever anything you would like to see that's not currently available, or if you simply have a great idea, the best place to voice your opinion is the contact submission form on the website: http://www.maxxis.com/About-Maxxis/Contact-Us.aspx

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Thanks Mr. Holwell.

I voiced my opinion through the link you posted. Basically, I suggested you guys consider switching from offering either tube type or UST downhill tires and go with a path similar to what Schwalbe did with their 2011 trail tires: make them all "tubeless ready". Then, us tubeless nerds aren't stuck with one or two compounds to choose from (we get the full selection of 3C, Exo, etc), and the people running ghetto tubeless get a more robust setup, and finally, the tube-only folks don't really see a change. Overall, you guys end up with fewer models, and we end up with the same or more choices. Win.
I know that's a lot easier said than done, but it would be pretty sweet if you guys could do that.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Thanks Mr. Holwell.

I voiced my opinion through the link you posted. Basically, I suggested you guys consider switching from offering either tube type or UST downhill tires and go with a path similar to what Schwalbe did with their 2011 trail tires: make them all "tubeless ready". Then, us tubeless nerds aren't stuck with one or two compounds to choose from (we get the full selection of 3C, Exo, etc), and the people running ghetto tubeless get a more robust setup, and finally, the tube-only folks don't really see a change. Overall, you guys end up with fewer models, and we end up with the same or more choices. Win.
I know that's a lot easier said than done, but it would be pretty sweet if you guys could do that.
You can use normal Maxxis tires tubeless fine. I've been doing that forever.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Who has the cheapest price on Minion DHF 2.5 single ply EXO? They are crazy expensive now.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Interesting what they say on 'knob D'

What they've done is made it so those knobs should break loose or drift just a tad.....good for a REAR tire for sure. But then every other knob forms an angle that's the opposite. Do the math on that one.
old HR front new HR rear would be a cool combo to try. But now you'll have a narrower tire on the front since the current 2.35 HR is more like a 2.2 :think:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Bholwell: do you have any input on the tread puncture resistance of this new High Roller 2 vs the existing UK market Maxxpro UST 2.5 High Roller?
It sounds like the new tread design will make the tire even better,and I'd love to try it in the Maxxpro version, but all of my current UST Maxxpro HR DH tires are covered with tread punctures.
Again, the Supertacky version does fine with punctures, but the Maxxpro does not, IME. ST is a bit soft for most of my riding.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
old HR front new HR rear would be a cool combo to try. But now you'll have a narrower tire on the front since the current 2.35 HR is more like a 2.2 :think:
Chopper style bro!!

Just based on the braking edges alone, I think I'd rather have the newer style in the front. That curved edge on the old one was literally the only thing I didn't like about that tire. It didn't happen that often or too severely but you could definitely tell when you were leaned just enough to be right on it and hit your brakes hard......schwoop! (to use a technical term). Of course what it says they're trying to achieve with that new angle would have a similar effect but I don't think it's enough that it's going to do squat.....especially alternating with a competing knob. Should be a pretty good tread front and back.

Last edited:

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
It sounds to me like the new one would make a better front tire, as they claim it has less transitional vagueness, handles braking while turning better, and is supposed to have a more predictable drift.
Personally, I think the current HR is pretty good at all of those things already (except for braking while turning!). So, if the new one is better...

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
I have no problem with the current HR either, it's my favorite tire or all time - I just love how the side knobs bite when you lay it low. Also a fan of the squarer profile (when compares to say the 2.35 Minion).

I don't mind a rear tire drift (actually prefer it in some cases), but I'm not a big fan of front tire drifts. That's one of the attributes of the Minion DHF I didn't like as much (as a front tire).

with that said, I like the sipe on Knob B

It sounds to me like the new one would make a better front tire, as they claim it has less transitional vagueness, handles braking while turning better, and is supposed to have a more predictable drift.
Personally, I think the current HR is pretty good at all of those things already (except for braking while turning!). So, if the new one is better...

Last edited:

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I just love how the side knobs bite when you lay it low.
Word. Maxxis should just take the sideknobs on the high rollers and put the exact same thing on like 3 different tires, just varying the centerknob configurations. Unless they did something really stupid, every single one of those tires would rule.....one for mud, one with high surface area, and then one kind of all around like this new one. If there's one thing they shouldn't have even touched, it was the sideknobs.

You think the HR has a more square profile than the minions?

I think you and I must be using that term differently. The minion always looked more to me what I'd call a more squared profile.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Word. Maxxis should just take the sideknobs on the high rollers and put the exact same thing on like 3 different tires, just varying the centerknob configurations.
I totally support that suggestion...

I think you and I must be using that term differently. The minion always looked more to me what I'd call a more squared profile.
it's possible the HR is a tad rounder, but I base my judgment on feel. It's not as apparent with the DH version of the Minion DHF (eg 2.5 and 2.7).

if you ride them back to back (eg. 2.35 HR and 2.35 Minion DHF) as a front tire, you will notice how much easier it is to lay the Minion over (to change direction), although it doesn't have the side support like the HR offer.

I think we both have the same cornering style, whereas we like to firmly stuff our front tire in corners, almost cutting them square, then shoot out. Some people prefer taking what I call "velcro lines", but I like the change direction super quick. Reason why like the HR.

I also find the HR to work a tad better on rocky terrain than the DHF...but that's just me.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
'Sup fellas?

It actually looks pretty close from that pic of two new tires. But I tend to agree with Acadian on this one, and I think the reason may be based on wear. I find that the center knobs on the HR wear out more quickly, giving the HR a more square profile for much of the tire's usable life. (With "more square" meaning relatively lower and flat knob profile in the center and roughly similar side knob height.)

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
'Sup fellas?

It actually looks pretty close from that pic of two new tires. But I tend to agree with Acadian on this one, and I think the reason may be based on wear. I find that the center knobs on the HR wear out more quickly, giving the HR a more square profile for much of the tire's usable life. (With "more square" meaning relatively lower and flat knob profile in the center and roughly similar side knob height.)
hey what's my M!

you have a good point about the wear - I actually prefer my HR's as they start wearing out a bit. The center knobs do tend to flatten/wear pretty quick on those - especially the rear.

wow I've really went over my post allocation for the day... ;)

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Some people prefer taking what I call "velcro lines",
Yeah I think you got that from me dude ;)

Don't you remember that's how I used to always make fun of John's preference for nevegals becase he never slides his tires?

But yeah, I agree that the minions feel more round as in there's not a whole lot of 'blank space' between center and side. But I also attribute that to what I call it's more square profile in that the sideknobs reach up closer to the center so they engage sooner. Gives a more squared off surface area compared to something like a dirt jump tire. But that's based on it's layout, not it's feel.....which like you said is 'round'

Funny that :D

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
makes the 60d maxxpro compound sound even better IMO.
The only time I DON'T run a 60d rear is when it's either muddy and rooty or riding those super polished granite faces at whistler.

The speed difference is nuts.

But yeah, I agree. And that's just one more reason maxxis rules. You can still get harder versions of their 'premiere' treads.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
The only time I DON'T run a 60d rear is when it's either muddy and rooty or riding those super polished granite faces at whistler.

The speed difference is nuts.

But yeah, I agree. And that's just one more reason maxxis rules. You can still get harder versions of their 'premiere' treads.
no matter what the conditions are, I always run ST on the front...

always run 60d on the back tho...

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I'd love to know/understand more about tyre tread design - I consider it to be a bit of a black art.

mtg

Green with Envy
Sep 21, 2009
Denver, CO
Small correction: it's 60a, not 60d :)

To those using the 60a/Maxxpro HR standard tube version: do you have issues with the tread puncturing? I'm wondering if my issue is due to the UST version being easier to tear.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I'd love to know/understand more about tyre tread design - I consider it to be a bit of a black art.
VVVVV So do most people making a living at it unfortunately. VVVV

I remember back in the day, one of the guys at Onza was quoted as saying "making a good tire is almost impossible, making a great tire is blind luck".
You want to see someone squirm worse than in a waterboarding session? Ask the guy who came up this piece of shlt what he was thinking. Yes that's an onza tire.

To those using the 60a/Maxxpro HR standard tube version: do you have issues with the tread puncturing? I'm wondering if my issue is due to the UST version being easier to tear.
Their dh tubeless tires just suck. I've run the non-ust dh tires tubeless on various bikes for years and love'em. (not my dh bike for what it's worth.....because I've punctured every single tire I've ever tried to run tubeless on my dh bike.)

Last edited:

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Bholwell: do you have any input on the tread puncture resistance of this new High Roller 2 vs the existing UK market Maxxpro UST 2.5 High Roller?
Unfortunately I do not. The new High Roller II is built using the same casing construction as the original HR, so expect puncture resistance and pinchflat resistance to be identical.

bholwell

Chimp
Mar 19, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Does the High Roller 2 use the same casing as Ardent DH 2.4"?
So the 2.4" HR2 is at least as big as 2.5" HR?
The casing of the Ardent 26x2.4 is slightly bigger.

The High Roller II 26x2.4 has the same casing as the original High Roller 26x2.5. Because the shoulder knobs are slightly taller, the tread width of the HR2 is just a hair larger.

Attachments

Pslide

Turbo Monkey

From bikerumor.com...

Maxxis just unveiled their new High Roller II triple compound DH mountain bike tire. The Steve Peat approved design gets visually subtle changes to the tread block shaping via sipes, new edge shapes and earlier engagement for the side knobs. It’ll initially come in only a 26×2.4 size with either their 3C Triple Compound (70a/42a/40a) tread or a MaxxPro 60a single compound tread, both with 2-ply DH casings. These will be available in a couple weeks, and additional sizes and formats will follow.

But then why...