DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Niner Sir9 Medium frame. Tang

waiting on lots of parts. but here's the first pic

WTB tires
Thomson seatpost
definitely doing a micro drive train setup, single speed. 25/14 or 13 or 15 or 16
Shimano LX/saint brakes (140mm rear 160mm front)
Straitline white levers
Fox F100 29 fork white
Profile cranks, ti bolts, ti axle. decent weight. but have 170mm, 175, 177, and 180s to play with.
Hadley single speed rear hub
DT front hub
36h Stan Flow rims
specialized stem
Bontrager carbon bar

tozovr

Monkey
Jan 16, 2006
Want a sweet MAverick DUC 32 and front wheel for that pup?

looks awesome man!

LOVE the niner stuff.

Niner Sir9 Medium frame. Tang

waiting on lots of parts. but here's the first pic

WTB tires
Thomson seatpost
definitely doing a micro drive train setup, single speed. 25/14 or 13 or 15 or 16
Shimano LX/saint brakes (140mm rear 160mm front)
Straitline white levers
Fox F100 29 fork white
Profile cranks, ti bolts, ti axle. decent weight. but have 170mm, 175, 177, and 180s to play with.
Hadley single speed rear hub
DT front hub
36h Stan Flow rims
specialized stem
Bontrager carbon bar

greenchris

Turbo Monkey
Jun 24, 2005
DA BEARS.
sick build DHS... You have quite the collection of prior and current bikes w/ your specy and brooklyns. what made you try the 29er? Is it gonna be a fast xc bike or a solid trail bike? the one bad thing about 29ers is your gonna have to sell all your 26" parts/frames...

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
really really wanted to try the 29er thing. have tested ridden them enough.
needed to just dive in and see where it goes. plus i can just walk out my door here to find some fun xc trails. something nice and simple like this will get it done perfectly

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
I don't think you'll find many 29er folks doing the micro drivetrain thing. I'm anxious to see how yours turns out and how you like it.

I'd say most folks are doing some type of 32:18 or maybe 32:20 combos. Maybe a few 34:22s spattered about and then some other commuting gear ratios.

You will be unique with your micro drive train. Get her built! :thumb:

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I just finished building a new 29er last month. I love it, the big wheels rule! I ride 32:19 right now and have really liked the gear ratio. I could see running 32:18 during the season when the legs feel strong.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Steve, currently running a 36:20 on my Kona Unit 2-9. Suits me fine for the Roch area.

Victor
nice thanks Victor. i should be in that range, with 25/14. can't wait.

wheels should be together tomorrow. mostly just have to wait on the fox. they take their times with shop purchases. but damn, is it worth the wait.

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
Cool project can't wait to see finished bike! I like the micro idea, something fresh. The Sir9 is a great frame also. the 853 tubing will have a good feel.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
just finished up on the wheels build.

rear is hadley single speed, Ti 10mm bolt hub, double butted spokes, stans Flow 36 hole rim

front DT FR, Flow rim 36hole, double butted.

they feel pretty light actually, pretty stoked.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Thought i'd add some pics,

I have saint calipers just laying around, new...

went with Straitline white levers, love them! have them on my DH bike.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
I think you're missing tires too :)
i hate tubes. this is the first time in 5years that i'll have them in my tires
:plthumbsdown:

wheels feel damn good. rear is 2.55lbs and front is 2.18lbs.

just waiting on the correct rim strips for my wheels. i ordered the wrong ones to go tubeless, correctly that is.

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
You don't need strips for the Flows...in fact, I would recommend against it. I have been rocking the Flows w/ only yellow tape for over a year w/ no issues.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
You don't need strips for the Flows...in fact, I would recommend against it. I have been rocking the Flows w/ only yellow tape for over a year w/ no issues.
yea got it. thats what i'm waiting for. the 25mm yellow tape. i got the rim strips by accident

so just waiting for those, and my fox fork.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
just finished. road it with the stem high. not a good idea. will be cutting the steerer tube again. wasn't sure and all. may switch to a lay back seat post. but it feels good in the parking lot test.

i have a bruised rib at the moment. so nothing too detailed. but i'm definitely going to ride it tomorrow and get things dialed in a bit.

Guitar Ted

Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
Waterloo, IA
Yeah, nice looking rig there. I will be interested in a full on ride report when you get around to putting some time on the bike. Obviously, get well first!

I really like the Fox fork so far. Hopefully it holds up over the long haul.

DHS

Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
Feels great actually. better then expected. what a different feeling really. did a little loop here at UCSD. had to walk some hills. my ribs are killing me. but went from the 105mm stem i had to a 90mm, feels instantly better in the parking lot.

I'm 6foot with shoes on. or just a hair under. also pushed the seat rails all the way back. i did pick up a 410mm setback thomson aswell, just in case.

Steve