Quantcast

New offerings from Trek and C'dale

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I like what trek did with the BB, and headset(a la Cannindale), and seat tube.

I buddy of mine may be throwing a leg over the Cannondale tomorrow, so it'll be intresting how stiff those small stays are. For reference, he's currently riding a Liquigas System Six.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
The New Madone doesn't do anything for me, that cannondale on the other hand looks very sharp.
Funny, I was going to say almost exactly the opposite. The Madone is the first Trek I've liked in quite some time (judging on looks and specs anyway) whereas the c-dale doesn't really wind me up much.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
Well, you have to come down those mountains, right? ;)

We have mountains too, and I usually spin out my 53x11 going up :twitch: :biggrin:

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
My buddy got a chance to rise one for the day on Sunday. The bike weighed 14.9lbs w/o pedals, built with Ksyrium ES wheels, Sram Force, C'dale alu SI cranks, etc. I asked him how the bike was and he liked it, but it didn't sound like he was able to tell much of a difference. The frame was plenty stiff for him(he's a guy who usually doesn't like carbon because it's too flexy). He commented how stiff the ES wheels were compared to his Dura Ace clinchers and how flexy the Control Tech scandium stem was. The top tube diameter isn't as big on the Supersix as it is on the Systemsix. Not really an in-depth review, but again I didn't ride it; I just got to look at it.

On another side note...my buddy informed me about '08 Dura-Ace being electronic.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I really like the Madone BB idea. Threading in external bearings is stupid. This seems like the best solution as existing cranks can be used, I'd like to see it on moutain bikes.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
I really like the Madone BB idea. Threading in external bearings is stupid. This seems like the best solution as existing cranks can be used, I'd like to see it on moutain bikes.
Well, in that link OG posted there's mention of a new Fuel. Perhaps some of these innovations(BB, seat mast) will be used in it.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
campy is doin the eletronic shifting to eh? or did i dream that

edit: either way im stickin with my sram force
I heard about campy too, but I'm not sure about '08. I'm not sure about electronic shifting, I mean, the stuff now works great. Plus I don't want to forget to change or recharge my batteries and realize it mid-race.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
Fwiw, I love to see what Trek is doing with the frame. Unfortunately I can already tell you that the frame is too rich for my blood, but that doesn't mean I can't edrool over it.

My only worry about the Trek headtube and bb is that manufacturing tolerances will have to spot-on. I'm not saying it can't be done, certainly. It's just that facing a tube will no longer be an option if the discrepancy is too big.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Fwiw, I love to see what Trek is doing with the frame. Unfortunately I can already tell you that the frame is too rich for my blood, but that doesn't mean I can't edrool over it.

My only worry about the Trek headtube and bb is that manufacturing tolerances will have to spot-on. I'm not saying it can't be done, certainly. It's just that facing a tube will no longer be an option if the discrepancy is too big.
I hear ya but the same idea can be easily transfered to a cheaper aluminum frame where the head and BB could be easily reamed to the proper size.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
I hear ya but the same idea can be easily transfered to a cheaper aluminum frame where the head and BB could be easily reamed to the proper size.
Maybe. Help me out if I'm on the wrong track.

The bearing cartridge sits inside the frame. Directly on the carbon, no foreign material inserts, right? The manufacturing tolerances have to be very good throughout the entire headtube, from where the bearings sit to the faced(?) headtube. There's minimal doubt in my mind that Trek can do this right, it's when the tech flows through to the smaller and lower-end manufacturers that this could become a problem.

Btw, isn't the headtube idea similar to one of the first versions of integrated headsets? Didn't a worry (problem?) over poor manufacturing tolerances lead CK to develop the perdido headset?

GravityFreakTJ

leg shavin roadie
Jul 14, 2003
at a road race near you
I heard about campy too, but I'm not sure about '08. I'm not sure about electronic shifting, I mean, the stuff now works great. Plus I don't want to forget to change or recharge my batteries and realize it mid-race.

I haven't done any research on the electronic shifting but i don't see the advantage of it. Am i missing something obvious? Maybe its just change for the sake of change .

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Maybe. Help me out if I'm on the wrong track.

The bearing cartridge sits inside the frame. Directly on the carbon, no foreign material inserts, right? The manufacturing tolerances have to be very good throughout the entire headtube, from where the bearings sit to the faced(?) headtube. There's minimal doubt in my mind that Trek can do this right, it's when the tech flows through to the smaller and lower-end manufacturers that this could become a problem.
I dunno, manufacturing has come a long way across the board. Also, given the newer designs and availability of higher-quality bearings, it seems that the tolerances for cranks and headsets just don't need to be super tight. I guess I'm just saying that the target of acceptability is perhaps bigger than some people think, and easier to hit. And with bearings this easy to replace, it's not such a big deal anyway.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
I haven't done any research on the electronic shifting but i don't see the advantage of it. Am i missing something obvious? Maybe its just change for the sake of change .
Zero friction, instant response, precise shifting movement (no slop), and no cables all sound pretty good to me.

It's coming, eventually. I won't be surprised to see electronic brakes at some point too, perhaps combined with a hydro caliper.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
rep brought a Super Six into the shop last Friday and I missed it. damn. we're having a big weekend coming up with Tinker in town (having dinner with him Friday night ,i believe), so i'm hoping the Super Six will make another appearance.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
My Klein had pressed in BB bearings. It was a pita to replace the bearings because very few shops had the press. Luckily, they were really good bearings, and I only had to do it twice.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My Klein had pressed in BB bearings. It was a pita to replace the bearings because very few shops had the press. Luckily, they were really good bearings, and I only had to do it twice.
If a manufacture pays attention to tolerances they wouldn't need to make a tight press fit.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
my Viscounce had press-in bb bearings. pretty big pain. the C-Dales i've worked with that have had the SI bbs have been fairly straight forward and easy, though.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Zero friction, instant response, precise shifting movement (no slop), and no cables all sound pretty good to me.
Friction in cables is not a huge problem in all but the rarest cases (unless you let the cables rust or have really terrible routing). I think the effort expended by using a lever to pull a shift cable is insignificant in comparison to the effort of holding onto handlebars and supporting part of one's weight.* Instead of cables you have to have a generator and/or batteries. Electronic shifting will continue to be a novelty for the foreseeable future.

*except perhaps for people with really small hands, like small women, who often have some trouble shifting with levers designed for people with much larger hands, though this is mostly a problem of mechanical advantage, or lack thereof, because of the lever design.

MtnbikeMike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2004
The 909
my Viscounce had press-in bb bearings. pretty big pain. the C-Dales i've worked with that have had the SI bbs have been fairly straight forward and easy, though.
And the Treks should supposedly be even easier. :cheers:

Edit: I can see it now...Shop employee: "that'll be $25 for a bottom bracket replacement" :greedy:

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Friction in cables is not a huge problem in all but the rarest cases (unless you let the cables rust or have really terrible routing). I think the effort expended by using a lever to pull a shift cable is insignificant in comparison to the effort of holding onto handlebars and supporting part of one's weight.* Instead of cables you have to have a generator and/or batteries. Electronic shifting will continue to be a novelty for the foreseeable future.

*except perhaps for people with really small hands, like small women, who often have some trouble shifting with levers designed for people with much larger hands, though this is mostly a problem of mechanical advantage, or lack thereof, because of the lever design.
I agree with most of what you are saying, but similar things were said about some of the advances we now love and take for granted, starting with the quick releases on through index shifting, clipless pedals, disc brakes, etc. Plus, electronics will make more sense as drivetrains evolve. I don't know what "foreseeable" means but I take the long view with this sort of thing, and all I'm saying is it's coming, eventually.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Eh, I'm an old codger already and yet still too young to remember the clipless pedal and index shifting revolutions. Though I do vaguely remember Mektronic. I still run Shimano 9 speed on the road (and prefer it over 10 speed) and v-brakes on my XC bike.

You're probably right in that eventually there will be good electronic shifting, but I'll be surprised if it really catches on in the next 20 years.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
SuperSix came into the shop today. eh. seatstays are kind of cool, but Cervelo already got my "holy **** those are small" reaction last summer.