Quantcast

New Parts!!!!!

Stoked

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2004
LI, NY
so good, i like your color palette. winter gets boring but new parts certainly help.

still a QR clamp? ti spokes?

v-digit

Turbo Monkey
Apr 3, 2006
Brooklyn, NY
new parts. fun fun. them bars are looking silly wide.
i got a boat load of new parts my damn self.

still trying to make it out to htown.

sittingduck

Turbo Monkey
Jun 22, 2007
Oregon
The top tube looks stupidly short. And the head angle looks stupidly slack.
The lack of brakes is stupid too. (IMO)

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
and you're doing the brakeless thang?
is that just for street, or u rock it that way at the park and trails now?
My brake just stopped working one day and I rode park basically brakeless. So one decided to take it off after 3 weeks because it was stupid. But I air out of quarters much higher because I am brakeless now. I will be putting a brake back on for trail season.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Have you considered lowering the forks? It's really easy to do with Argyles. I lowered mine and it made such a huge difference in the way it rode. Are those at 80mm or 100mm?

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
one would think if you're lowering your fork, you want to do it to bring your front end lower... why would you want taller bars to compensate it right back up? no?
I'm sure someone would have a better answer on this than me. When I made the change to lower forks and a higher rise bar, it made all the difference in the world on how the bike handled. There must be some kind of technical reason for this.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
well, I shall be lowering my fork. Now, where to find a clean bucket to put the oil in...
A cup is all you need. There will only be an oz or 2 of oil in the fork. I wasn't able to find the spaces needed at my local home depot. I just ended up cutting the current spacer in half and putting one half above the big spring and one half below.

TaRd

Chimp
Aug 21, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
I'm sure someone would have a better answer on this than me. When I made the change to lower forks and a higher rise bar, it made all the difference in the world on how the bike handled. There must be some kind of technical reason for this.
I am no expert but when I switched to a rigid fork my front end and bottom bracket height changed quite dramatically which in turn changed the fulcrum point of the rear wheel. I noticed my chainstay was pretty much level when I had a sus fork on it and when I changed it dropped about a 1/4-1/2 inch. The bike felt very heavy and sluggish with the lower bars on, so I went to a 2.75" rise which brought my body weight back over the rear tire and made the bike not feel like such a chore to ride.

The frame I chose to put a rigid on was clearly not designed for such a change and I didnt like the way it felt so I went back to the argyle again. I went from an 80mm Argyle to a 425 axle to crown rigid.

mattt

Monkey
Jul 21, 2009
texas
Lowering a fork makes the steering "tighter"/ sharper and also steepens the head angle. Good for park and street because you dont drag your front wheel on the ground coming out of fakie, you can nose manual easier... you dont have as much sloppy travel eating your "pop"... many reasons.

Bigger bars to compensate is a good idea, look at BMX bars... 8.25 rise

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
Here is the bike I rode before I started riding my Sunday Model C. Loved this thing! I took my 80mm Argyles and lowered them to about 55 or 60mm and then put 3" Atomlab Pimp bars on it. This bike was dialed for both park and dirt. Lowering the fork and getting the higher bars was by far the most positive change I ever made on this bike!

Attachments

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Here is the bike I rode before I started riding my Sunday Model C. Loved this thing! I took my 80mm Argyles and lowered them to about 55 or 60mm and then put 3" Atomlab Pimp bars on it. This bike was dialed for both park and dirt. Lowering the fork and getting the higher bars was by far the most positive change I ever made on this bike!
I feel convinced. Maybe I will give it a shot today.

jonfaure

Chimp
Feb 9, 2009
San Marcos CA
If you run into any issues with any play in the fork, that can be corrected with some spacers under the top cap. I used a couple of nickels and it did the trick. Best 10 cents I have ever spent.