Quantcast

new PS3 WTF?

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Just got a PS3 (250gb). Hooked up to a Bravia via HDMI cable. Games work. Blu-Rays don't. Won't even start up...just gives me a green screen then freezes. Updated the software and no dice. Please tell me this is a simple fix that I can do at home.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
ok...so, some BD will work, others won't. The Hangover and Full Metal Jacket won't, but American Psycho will....

again, games are good as are regular dvds.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
To fix it, you'll need:
6 square yards of Tyvek
2 pints of vaseline
1 pack of 24 adult diapers
1 bottle of 100 500mg Ibuprofen
1 Xbox magazine
1 12 oz can of Chef Boyardee ravioli

Might as well have some fun...cause me thinks you gots problems.

Oh yeah....I have nothing constructive to add...:D

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Some studios make their Bluray movies region free, others don't. I assume the PS3 and the Blurays were bought locally, if so then this is unlikely to be the problem but it's the only thing I can think of.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
are you running audio and video through a single hdmi straight to the tv? or are they going through a receiver? I remember when I set mine up i saw something about a green screen due to conflicting signals on an online forum...

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
are you running audio and video through a single hdmi straight to the tv? or are they going through a receiver? I remember when I set mine up i saw something about a green screen due to conflicting signals on an online forum...
that probably isnt the case since some of his movies are working and some arent

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
single HDMI from PS3 to TV. all stuff was purchased locally. Resolution set to 1080p, which TV can handle.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
single HDMI from PS3 to TV. all stuff was purchased locally. Resolution set to 1080p, which TV can handle.
Well in that case you're gonna need a tape measure....to check if the pos will fit up the arse of the shyster who sold it to you.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Well in that case you're gonna need a tape measure....to check if the pos will fit up the arse of the shyster who sold it to you.
hmm i gonna have to agree with this comment.

sounds like a bad PS3 to me, especially if some movies work and some dont. do all your games work? particularly the games in 1080p?
try down converting the PS3 output to 1080i and let the TV do the upscaling to see if that makes a difference. also try switching HDMI input on the tv with another input.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Last edited:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
took it back to Fry's this morning. basically, the only thing they were able to conclude was that it wouldn't play WB movies (Warner Brothers)...everything else played except, Hangover, FMJ, and Clone Wars...all WB movies. So...since they don't know when they will receive a new one, I'm keeping this one for now for games and they're gonna swap me out once they receive some 250gigs in stock. I could return it, but it was an "open box" purchase, so I'd end up paying more for a new one instead of just exchanging it.

IH8Rice

Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
thats weird that only WB movies wont play. i just watched FMJ not too long ago with no issues.
did you try my recommendations?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Movie studios have different region coding policies. Among major U.S. studios, Paramount Pictures and Universal Studios have released all of their titles region-free. Sony Pictures and Warner Bros. have released most of their titles region-free. Lionsgate and Walt Disney Pictures have released a mix of region-free and region-coded titles. 20th Century Fox and MGM have released most of their titles region-coded.
Wonder if you got a batch of region coded ones in some foul-up? Nevermind, their solution sounds fair.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
took it back to Fry's this morning. basically, the only thing they were able to conclude was that it wouldn't play WB movies (Warner Brothers)...everything else played except, Hangover, FMJ, and Clone Wars...all WB movies. So...since they don't know when they will receive a new one, I'm keeping this one for now for games and they're gonna swap me out once they receive some 250gigs in stock. I could return it, but it was an "open box" purchase, so I'd end up paying more for a new one instead of just exchanging it.
Its Fry's. Put some pressure on them. Open box or not, they sold you a faulty unit.