Quantcast

new rider from ct saying hello with questions

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
a new rider but not new to bikes.. raced bmx quite a few years and now cant handle a 20" bike with my size... so just picked up a giant ac1 with some go big bits.

im going to be riding in ct. and not sure if there any locations better then others.

or as a beginner to downhill mountain biking, anything that i should watch for, adjust the bike for, or bring with me other then the basic's...

the bike is a giant ac1,

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I set up my dh bike so it feels like my bmx bike. It was most comfortable and familiar that way.

how does your bike feel, steering wise, with that long stem?

bansheefr

Monkey
Dec 27, 2004
Check out www.crankfire.com for places to ride. The map function on the site is great and includes GPS data as well as links to reviews, parking information, etc for each location. This information makes finding your way around a new trail network much easier and can save you hours of frustration.

Also, check out their ride board and maybe someone will be willing to show you around.

Where are you located by the way?

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
im located in shelton...

the water bottle holder is gone. i already adjusted the brakes. and steering feels fine for the width gotta get used to the suspension.. may even get a shorter neck so i can manual this thing. and the seat is lower then in the picture (i hate when it gets in the way)

and i will check out crankfire

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
mountain creek is on my agenda if i can get one of my buddies to get a bike.. im not one to ride without someone that knows me around, just incase something happens

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
im located in shelton...

the water bottle holder is gone. i already adjusted the brakes. and steering feels fine for the width gotta get used to the suspension.. may even get a shorter neck so i can manual this thing. and the seat is lower then in the picture (i hate when it gets in the way)

and i will check out crankfire
my thoughts exactly.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
What VooDoo said...The Giant is a great starter bike, but if you combine it with lift assisted park riding, it might turn into more of a 'gateway drug' bike.

PS, good name - VOID was a fav band of mine quite a long time ago:

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
Anyone know of a good short stem.. The mountain bike stuff is new to me and not sure of the better brands compared to Bmx parts

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
looks like the bike splats son rides, all i was gonna suggest was a shorter stem and drop the seat but you are all ready on top of that. my only other suggestion is enjoy man.

just though of it does every thing mechanically seem correct?

amishmatt

Turbo Monkey
Sep 21, 2005
Lancaster, PA
Anyone know of a good short stem.. The mountain bike stuff is new to me and not sure of the better brands compared to Bmx parts
How much are you looking to spend? Thomson stems are regarded as some of the best, and will last you through multiple bikes, but they aren't exactly cheap: http://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=3593

Looks like you have a 25.4mm stem (the clamp diameter, which also means your handlebars are 25.4mm diameter). I'd recommend moving to a 31.8mm stem/bar (like the Thomson above), you'll have a lot more options that way. Of course, that means you'll need a new handlebar as well.

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
I don't mind spending money where it's needed but didn't want to get in over my head early.. I work at a pawnshop so I got a great deal on the bike so I can spend some money..

Other then getting the feel.. The bike is in order.. Tru'd the wheels(weren't even bad just alil loose) changed brake lines and derailer line and reset min/max and cleaned the Hayes calipers and reset pads and adjustment.. Bottom bracket is sound, chain-sprocket-and cogs are all on point, just need to situate spring tension's depending on trail difficulty

Now to get the manualing of this bike before hitting a trail..

For anyone wondering my concern on being able to manual before really getting to the trail. I've always been a technical rider if I feel a area is quicker if I manual it instead of jumping I'd rather tap my brakes instead of trying to pedal.. So manualing and pumping goes alot farther in my view then pedaling will..

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
May have a bmx stem close to the look of that thomson.. Hoping it is the same size trying to go out this weekend..

Also picked up a timed ironman gps watch so I don't have to mount a handheld or carry one if I get lost in some woods

void

Chimp
May 18, 2011
The bars and stem I have are titec ringleader.

Anyone have any problems with them.