Quantcast

new road bike- suggestions?

fasterTHANyou

Monkey
Dec 12, 2003
washington dc
here's the deal folks. just secured a new job, looking to blow my first paycheck on a nice road bike. i'm tired of borrowing friends' rides...

i've read excellent things about the cannondale six13 and have riden an IF and loved it...

budget is around 2k-3k...

suggestions?

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
As an experienced plum smuggler my advice is not to buy anything off the shelf. With 2K to 3K to spend I would buy a custom frame made exactly for your body geometry by Serotta, Moots, Seven Cycles or similar frame maker. Then I would build it up myself with the best bits I could afford with the $$ left over.

A quality built frame will last a lifetime, the drivetrain and other bits can be replaced as needed so spend your bucks on the frame. Right now I am riding a 15 year old Serotta steel frame with 2002 Campagnolo Chorus - I've thown my legs over many road bikes but have yet to find one new that compares to the one I have now.

Dirty

i said change it damn it....Janet...Slut!!
Aug 3, 2003
Serial Midget said:
As an experienced plum smuggler my advice is not to buy anything off the shelf. With 2K to 3K to spend I would buy a custom frame made exactly for your body geometry by Serotta, Moots, Seven Cycles or similar frame maker. Then I would build it up myself with the best bits I could afford with the $$ left over.

A quality built frame will last a lifetime, the drivetrain and other bits can be replaced as needed so spend your bucks on the frame. Right now I am riding a 15 year old Serotta steel frame with 2002 Campagnolo Chorus - I've thown my legs over many road bikes but have yet to find one new that compares to the one I have now.

:stupid:

NCBikingJim

Chimp
Jul 24, 2004
Winston-Salem, NC
The Specialized Roubaix is definetely a great way to go. The 2005 Roubaix Comp has gone with a Dura-Ace rear derailluer and the FSA Carbon two-piece cranks. Depending on if you're looking to go with a triple versus double chainring will change the pricing of the bike. If you want something more of a race type bike I would go with the Allez Comp (Aluminum frame with carbon rear stays). The Roubaix will definetely give you a more comfortable ride than the Allez though.

Smelly

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
out yonder, round bout a hootinany
Serial Midget said:

this is an opinion worth listening to...

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
squarewheels said:
this is an opinion worth listening to...
totally. at 3g you CANNOT beat a full custom frame. somepeople ask "well if their so good why dont the pro's race 'um?" the large manufact. PAY the pros to ride their bikes the smaller ones usually dont.
Moots, Serotta, Seven... all awesome bikes worth their weight in TI.

Now i did see one of those can6-13 bikes and they look nice but for the price of their expensive one you can get a full custom ti bike.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Serial Midget said:
With 2K to 3K to spend I would buy a custom frame made exactly for your body geometry by Serotta, Moots, Seven Cycles or similar frame maker.
Can you really buy a custom frame that "cheap"? All the serottas and sevens i've seen -- not that many -- seem to start at $4k.

J

JRB

Maybe not custom Ti loopie, but there are 2 good makers here in TX that will hook you up for $1500 or so. They are top notch.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
At $2-3K you should forget about custom. Not to mention you probably don't NEED a custom frame...very few poeple have strange body porpotions that would require a custom frame. And, a custom frame willl run you some serious coin, leaving not much left over for a kit and wheels (a nice set of wheels is just as important as a nice frame). There are so many options out there in the 2-3K range, just go out and test ride some bikes...others can't tell you what is the right bike to buy, there are to many variables in fit and preference of ride charcteristics, compenents, etc. You could get a sweet steel ride, aluminum/carbon or even full carbon at that price point...

Go ride some bikes and enjoy the process of buying a new bike. Don't let anyone tell you what you shoudl like, you'll know the right bike when you ride it.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
LordOpie said:
Can you really buy a custom frame that "cheap"? All the serottas and sevens i've seen -- not that many -- seem to start at $4k.
My frame now sells for under two-thousand, all the bits might make it ad up to four but that depends on the build.

EDIT: Oh... it does seem like they have initiated a price increase. :think:

Serotta lugged steel.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Triphop said:
Not to mention you probably don't NEED a custom frame...very few poeple have strange body porpotions that would require a custom frame.
Its not about need its about value - guys who saddle custom frames tend to keep them for a very long time. Guys who saddle the latest and greatest tend to get new frames every few years. Now I wonder why that is? Vanity or technology... debatable.

Point two - no two bodies are the same.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Serial Midget said:
Its not about need its about value - guys who saddle custom frames tend to keep them for a very long time. Guys who saddle the latest and greatest tend to get new frames every few years. Now I wonder why that is? Vanity or technology... debatable.

Point two - no two bodies are the same.
I would say the reason people who have a custom frame tend to keep it for a long time is because, it is a custom frame and they are very difficult to sell, especially if you get some odd geometry or they are older and want the last bike they will ever own. and if the geometry is close to something standard, well there was probably no need for a custom rig to begin with. The only true value in a custom frame, is you can tune the ride characteristics to your liking, but for the poster we are talking about, first road bike, he has no idea of what to be looking for. IMO, unless you have mad cash, custom is not worth it.

As for the latest and greatest, why not? Some people just like bikes and like to ride different things. Especially as a new road rider, one won't know what they truely like until they try a few things.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Triphop said:
Especially as a new road rider, one won't know what they truely like until they try a few things.
I could not agree more. While I completely and totally value the opinion and advice of the experienced riders and learned a great deal from y'all... nothing teaches like personal experience.

I went from strictly mtbing and made a dozen adjustments to my roadbike over the past year as I became more comfortable and started building my core strength. The right bike for a beginner is likely not the right bike 2 yrs down the road.

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Serial Midget said:
Thats because you wouldn't listen to the advice we gave you. :monkey:
In fact SM, I think I remember Op saying sometime to the effect that us road bitches better watch ourselves now that he was prowling our beat. Cocky bastard. But I guess if he's gonna put on the tight shorts and ride the thin tires he might as well wear the 'tude as well eh?
:D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I think I said I was gonna make SM my bitch... don't remember mentioning cycling.

Happy Chanukah bro

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Serial Midget said:
All probably true but check out the ending auction prices for Serotta VS Cannondale for a ten year old frame...
Now there's an interesting point. Why would someone pay top dollar for a custom frame built for someone else?

Also, this is an unfair comparison as a 10 year old Al frame will never fetch the same as steel in the used bike market. Whats a stock Italian steel frame fetching compared to a Serotta?

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
wooglin said:
Now there's an interesting point. Why would someone pay top dollar for a custom frame built for someone else?

Because 'custom' is a misnomer. Most 'custom' frames are actually 'made to order'. If you order a frame from Richard Sachs, it is going to be built to his geometry specs not yours. He has much more experience designing frames than the person buying it. Even more true for lugged frames as lugs are cast to an exact angle and it is very difficult to impossible to change those angles.

There are a few builders that will build funky angles if you want.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
wooglin said:

Also, this is an unfair comparison as a 10 year old Al frame will never fetch the same as steel in the used bike market. Whats a stock Italian steel frame fetching compared to a Serotta?
Well I was going on original cost... but I still think a Serotta steel frame will hold just as much value as a comparable classic Italian.

I guess I should have said its better to put your money into the frame rather than flashy decals. :nuts:

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Wumpus said:
Because 'custom' is a misnomer. Most 'custom' frames are actually 'made to order'. If you order a frame from Richard Sachs, it is going to be built to his geometry specs not yours. He has much more experience designing frames than the person buying it. Even more true for lugged frames as lugs are cast to an exact angle and it is very difficult to impossible to change those angles.

There are a few builders that will build funky angles if you want.
True, but tubing selection will play a large part in ride quality and can be tailored for an individual's size and riding style as well as the kinds of rides they'll be doing. Similarly the size of the bike is tailored to the individual by how long you cut those tubes. If I ordered a Sachs and he didn't ask me some questions along those lines I'd be very surprised.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
wooglin said:
True, but tubing selection will play a large part in ride quality and can be tailored for an individual's size and riding style as well as the kinds of rides they'll be doing. Similarly the size of the bike is tailored to the individual by how long you cut those tubes. If I ordered a Sachs and he didn't ask me some questions along those lines I'd be very surprised.
So the frame doesn't fit as exactly as the original owner, but it will be as close as a mass marketed frame. But with the custom you know that you are getting a good tube set and that the quality is top notch.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Wumpus said:
So the frame doesn't fit as exactly as the original owner, but it will be as close as a mass marketed frame. But with the custom you know that you are getting a good tube set and that the quality is top notch.
The build quality may be top notch, but if the original owner was 6' tall, 155lbs and had the tubing selected for his weight, it may fit well for another guy at 6', but will ride like crap if he weighs 200lbs. Not to mention, just because to people are of similar body proportions, that doesn't mean other factors such as flexibility and prior injury were not taken into account when the frame was designed, and handling preferences, etc...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
wooglin said:
Tire pressure makes a bigger difference in the way a bike rides than tubing. Don't buy into the hype when it comes to ultra-high end road bikes!

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Wumpus said:
So the frame doesn't fit as exactly as the original owner, but it will be as close as a mass marketed frame.
Maybe. And maybe not. Maybe that mass marketed frame is a perfect fit. Its got just as good a chance to hit that mark as a custom bike built for someone else.

Wumpus said:
But with the custom you know that you are getting a good tube set and that the quality is top notch.
I know I've got a good tube set and the quality is top notch with my off the shelf bike too. That's got nothing to do with whether its custom and everything to do with who built it.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
SuspectDevice said:
Tire pressure makes a bigger difference in the way a bike rides than tubing. Don't buy into the hype when it comes to ultra-high end road bikes!
yes tire pressure makes a difference in ride as well as a particular tire, however, a tire will not make a stiffer drive train, or create greater compliance, etc...tuning the ride by selected different tubes is not hype. If it were, companies such as Seven and Serotta would not be as popular as they are. Not to mention if a 7-time Tour rider notices the difference in a tubeset, I would have to say there is more to it than hype.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Triphop said:
yes tire pressure makes a difference in ride as well as a particular tire, however, a tire will not make a stiffer drive train, or create greater compliance, etc...tuning the ride by selected different tubes is not hype. If it were, companies such as Seven and Serotta would not be as popular as they are. Not to mention if a 7-time Tour rider notices the difference in a tubeset, I would have to say there is more to it than hype.
Great -so have you made your fitting appointment yet?

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Serial Midget said:
Great -so have you made your fitting appointment yet?
I'd love to. Wanna float me $3K for the frame, and another $2K for a kit and wheels?

No custom yet for me, I don't have the money, nor would I want to waste it on something that might be great now, but in 5 years I may hate.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Yo, triphop
Put down the pipe and pull the blinders off. The high end road market right now is absolutely flooded with overpriced flim-flam and drenched in the worst kind of hype. Doesn't bother me much as it's just seperating stupid rich people from their money though.

Status brands... I have had 3 custom road or cross frames made, have been picky about every possible aspect of my bike, but I'm sure as hell never ever ever ever going to advocate that someone spend thousands of extra dollars on smoke and mirrors.

yes, their is a slight difference in feel between a $1000 frame and a $3625 frame, but does it make absolutely any difference in performance, hell no. Buying expensive crap is great for people with huge bankrolls who want to feel cool, but it doesn't make a damn bit of difference in how much of your power hits the ground. Hood ornaments are great though.

Triphop

Chimp
Sep 10, 2002
Suspect...I don't smoke and can see quite clearly. Maybe you missed my earlier posts? I am not advocating that everyone should have a custom frame, far from it. You are absolutely right, that the bike is not going to make one bit of difference in the performance of 99.9% of riders. However, the majority of people who are buying custom frames are not going to use the bike to its upmost potential anyway, nor do they desire to, they want a bike to ride a special way, a custom frame can provide that, maybe some stock bikes have that ride quality, but not the right geometry for the individual, etc., so they go custom. Then there are those who want custom to say "its custom". Whatever floats your boat.

But to say tire pressure affects ride characteristics more than tubesets, well, that is just incorrect. Sure lower tire pressure gives a softer ride, but there are handling drawbacks, pinch flats...

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Triphop said:
Suspect...I don't smoke and can see quite clearly. Maybe you missed my earlier posts? I am not advocating that everyone should have a custom frame, far from it. You are absolutely right, that the bike is not going to make one bit of difference in the performance of 99.9% of riders. However, the majority of people who are buying custom frames are not going to use the bike to its upmost potential anyway, nor do they desire to, they want a bike to ride a special way, a custom frame can provide that, maybe some stock bikes have that ride quality, but not the right geometry for the individual, etc., so they go custom. Then there are those who want custom to say "its custom". Whatever floats your boat.

But to say tire pressure affects ride characteristics more than tubesets, well, that is just incorrect. Sure lower tire pressure gives a softer ride, but there are handling drawbacks, pinch flats...
Custom is the way to go if you can rationalize the money for it. No matter what when you buy a mass produced bike, even if it "fits" it takes awhile to get used to it. When u hop on a bike that was custom made for you. The bike just feels perfect from the second u hop on. It's hard to describe, I also hate having things that someone else has I like to always stand out and be different so naturally custom is the only way to have it totally personal.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.

yojimborace

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
SC
Originally Posted by fasterTHANyou
here's the deal folks. just secured a new job, looking to blow my first paycheck on a nice road bike. i'm tired of borrowing friends' rides...

i've read excellent things about the cannondale six13 and have riden an IF and loved it...

budget is around 2k-3k...

suggestions?

Buy a v10 :D
You can be a pioneer roady, I've never ridden a road bike and don't plan to