Quantcast

!!New Sacramento SkatePark To Open Nov24th!!

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
It doesn't say "No Bikes Allowed"

GRANITE SKATE PARK OPENS NOV. 24!!
Don Button
GRANITE SKATE PARK OPENS NOV. 24!!
FREE AND UNSUPERVISED... for now.

Yes, you read it right, the 40,000 sq. ft, Wally Hollyday-designed, Granite Skate Park at Granite Regional Park will finally be opening. After five years of working to get free public concrete skateparks in Sacramento, and months of watching the construction and waiting for the day... the SSA is proud to announce that the it is here. At 10 am, Friday, November 24, 2006, the gates will open wide! There will not be a full-scale "grand opening" event until Spring, so this is what's called a "soft opening". There will be parks and city officials present, and possibly media.

Ironically, none of the additional amenities the city has been waiting to add to the park before opening it (grass, benches, water features, etc.) have actually been installed yet. Even though the concrete has been complete for over four months the park has remained off-limits. Apparently, the city was mostly waiting for the new adjoining dog park to be ready before opening both. All of the skate park extras will reportedly be added over the coming months in preparation for the grand opening. The fence around the park is complete and we are told that a park employee will unlock the gat at sunrise and lock it around sunset every day. The city is also planning to add lights for the Spring opening, which will mean night skating. Yes!

Regarding the issues of supervision, fees and enforcement of helmets and pads, the city has decided to open the park under a 6 month trial period of free, open skating. The Sacramento Skatepark Advocates have worked hard and been very vocal about the local skate community's adament and nearly unanimous desire to not have the park supervised and not be forced to wear equipment. The city received many, many calls and e-mails from skaters and SSA supporters — and it worked. The city listened—no organized supervision, no fees, and a sign posting the rules regarding usage, "required" safety equipment and prohibited activities. Now it's up to the skaters to live up to their end of the bargin and help this skate park flourish and suceed.

The skateboarding community has to show the city that we can take "ownership" of this park and help run it well by using it well. The SSA is absolutely sure that the Sacramento skate community is ready and willing to treat this park like the awesome place that it is.

Regarding safety equipment: We have been told that the it is hoped that the park rangers and the police department will be encouraged to NOT write tickets for skating without helmets — but instead will encourage skaters to put them on and may have to ask non-helmeted skaters to leave. The SSA is strongly in favor of the law enforcement agencies taking a very lax approach to the helmet and pad laws and it seems, for now, that the city is on our side. But that is no guarantee. For this reason, we recommend you always have a helmet with you whether you choose to wear it or not. All parties involved seem to agree that nobody is going to bother enforcing pads, so that's not really a concern. Because the city is already operating the B Street park (Skate Sacramento) with helmets enforced for underage skaters only and no pad requirements, regardless of state law, it seems pretty clear that that's as far as they'd go at Granite as well.

One last note: because the Nov. 24 opening will be attended by city officials it is likely that they will be asking all skaters (or just underage skaters) to wear helmets during the event. Please come prepared or don't come until later in the day.

Don Button
Sacramento Skatepark Advocates
http://www.sacskatepark.org

sacskateadvocates@sbcglobal.net

Tuesday 07th of November 2006 11:18

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
or dont be a wuss and poach it when no one is around. never gotten yelled at by skaters even at no biking parks if there are little to no ppl there. just be respectful

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea I'm always respectful when I ride, haven't had a problem at skateparks (knock on wood). I'm pretty sure there'll be some tension at the opening, but oh well...

XBGM3R

Chimp
Sep 2, 2006
SacHOOD
WOW, thats awesome... this place make me tempt to ride skateboad around skatepark there.. because I was used to be amature (expert/ pre professional) skater myself..

Tag1

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
I just looked around the site, and I see no mention of bikes.

It seems from reading the site that city officials are still deciding policy for the park, so I just sent an email to the all the city councilmen, etc on the site urging them to allow bikes at the park. Here is the page with their email addresses:

http://www.sacskatepark.org/ssa/10things.html

Anyone who lives around here and heck, even if you don't: Please write in and request bikes be allowed at Granite Regional skatepark!

If anyone wants to see the email I sent, feel free to PM me.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I just sent my email to the city with all the addresses that were on that page. Please anyone that reads this post, shoot a quick email to the city. Anything helps. Thanks

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I road that park for about 2hrs today !
The pictures dont do it any justice , that place is BIG and I'm not talking SQ ft , 5 bowls well over 13-ft tall with 2-4 ft of vert !

OMFG , I am so sore right now from riding the big bowls !!
It's nice to have something thats changeling again to ride !

The bowl pictured below kinda become the bike bowl , it's off in the corner and the skaters dont really ride it , so me and Brent from Solid bikes had a very fun christmas session !!
Oh and it's allot deeper than it looks in this pic , the back cradel is possibly 15-17ft tall !

Mar 10, 2005
Santa Cruz/Sacramento, Ca
Is it somewhat bike friendly, now? I've been itching to ride it, but I keep on hearing stories of kids getting ticketed from a few of the guys who go to the Antelope skatepark.

I'm definently not skilled enough to much with that bowl, but damn, it still looks fun!

Ohh yeah, and do you know how busy this place gets during the day? I might try and get a ride in early tomorrow morning, or something. This sounds pretty hip. Also, what's the best local BMX shop? I'm used to either ordering from QBP myself or buying things at River Rat for mountain bikes, so I don't really have the downlow on the bmx stuff. I'm looking to pick up a new cassette wheel with some spare money, soon.

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
Is it somewhat bike friendly, now? I've been itching to ride it, but I keep on hearing stories of kids getting ticketed from a few of the guys who go to the Antelope skatepark.

I'm definently not skilled enough to much with that bowl, but damn, it still looks fun!

Ohh yeah, and do you know how busy this place gets during the day? I might try and get a ride in early tomorrow morning, or something. This sounds pretty hip. Also, what's the best local BMX shop? I'm used to either ordering from QBP myself or buying things at River Rat for mountain bikes, so I don't really have the downlow on the bmx stuff. I'm looking to pick up a new cassette wheel with some spare money, soon.

Not too discurage you but this isnt the park to learn how to ride bowls at , there are 3 deep bowls there that I didnt even dare drop into for the fear of looseing my pump and getting stuck in one .

They have the 3 deepest bowles labeled as PRO , and the clover bowl we wered rideing was intermedite ... um yea more like pro and super pro :shocked:

A few kids from placerville showed up and they were haveing trouble rideing the bigger stuff so they stayed in the street course .

When I got there 15 people were roaming around and some were skateing , 2 other guys on bmx bikes ( Brett Everette and another rider from Solid ) We had a good time , but it was challenging . Seriously there are NOT park this deep untill you get to Lincon City up on the Oregon coast .

If your not used to rideing the big bowls at Placerville , this place might be a bit discourging at first .

As far as how busy it get's ???? Today was Christmas and it might be the only day I get to ride this place without hassell .

If and when I go back , i will bring my pads and helmet this time and leave my ID and car VERY far away .

If they tell me there taking my bike my replay is going to be " You can pry it from my cold dead hands " then I'll just ride away.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
Yea when I went there a couple times everyone was hella cool but it's cuz I didn't have pegs. So if you roll with em, take em off when you get there. I've heard rumors lately that the cops are actively making routes around Granite and ticketing bikers. Now that's a rumor, mostly since Brad just rode there Monday for 2 hrs. I rode there bout two weeks ago during my lunch break.

That same bowl you rode Brad is the same one I camped out on. That one is my fav and yea when I went, there were only two skaters taking turns on it so I got hella ride time in there. The bowls are pretty damn deep, but hella fun.

Reed, go to Elite Bike Shop in Fair Oaks. Can't remember the owners name right now but he's hella cool and really fair on his prices. He's right on San Juan and Auburn Rds. All he really deals with is BMX so he has a huge stock of every mfr. Super cool guy

oz

Chimp
Nov 11, 2003
this is perfect. i go to davis and am trying to learn to skate :). haha but when i get back im definately going to head out here w/ a flash and my camera and get some sick shots.