Quantcast

New Saint. Finally.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
yea, a number of riders are putting saint stickers on other cranks (RF, Greenland did it with a set of hopes) mostly because riders are looking for shorter cranks and saint only goes down to 165

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Gen 3 SAINT cranks weren't even required. Gen 4 will be shite (ie direct mount)

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
If they did have a data breach, don't spread that shit. It ain't good for anyone.

Unless they are funneling money into Panama or something under the guise of Saint updates.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
what is that? 4.5TB on a web server? Doesn’t sound right.
Those guys usually buy credentials form a recently fired employee, infiltrate their target's intranet, move laterally and begin to slowly exfiltrate data to servers they control (usually hacked cloud instances with a lot of storage).

Those 4.5TB of data are probably from different servers/systems, the easiest data to pull out is the payroll/payment one. Now technical/patent data, that's a whole different story...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
If they did have a data breach, don't spread that shit. It ain't good for anyone.

Unless they are funneling money into Panama or something under the guise of Saint updates.
But maybe it’ll have the source of the wandering bite point!?

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Just saw a glimpse of the Japanese brand's 2025-2026 lineup. A lot of wireless shit, but Saint ain't nowhere to be seen. The cranks spotted on pro DH bikes are XTs.

Oh, and SLX is kaputt.
real wireless, or "di2 wireless"? :popcorn:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Decent sized Batteries held in the frame/seatpost/stem/bars or little easily removable ones that eject themselves somewhere on the trail?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
SLX is kaputt
ZEE was also killed off around 4yrs ago.
And a ton of lower tier components have also been quietly discontinued. Replaced across the board with a newer CUES range. Meaning repairing and servicing many older bikes has got a whole lot more expensive.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It's not shocking about SLX. Though I hope they somehow still offer the cranks and cassette, those are pretty good value actually differ from Deore.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
At one point an SLX cassette was identical to XT but with a different lockring and lower RRP

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
The battery is hosted inside the derailleur's parallelogram. The charger attaches to the RD via magnets as with several smartwatch brands. They claim their RD/battery combo doubles the SRAM autonomy.
I hope it's Li Ion so it doesn't work when it's cold.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not really. Hone included a double chainset, front mech and L/H shifter.
The 6 in the product code meant it stood somewhere between Deore and XT (Deore was 5 back then)
how about STX RC then?
or LX?

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Not really. Hone included a double chainset, front mech and L/H shifter.
how about STX RC then?
freeride dude. you're old enough you should remember that. it was even available with a triple! but you could also get the axle mount derailleur as option, which was the same system as the version offered for Saint.

during that era it was LX that sat between deore and XT.

STX RC were the first brakes I upgraded to from cantis.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
STX RC were the first brakes I upgraded to from cantis.
Mine were XT with the parallel links. Rode those my first visit to Morzine ('96?). with Mavic 121? ceramic rims
Remember the warning sticker on the first V-brakes stating how powerful they were? :rofl:

Shoulda had a warning that the cartridge pads could slip clean out their housings if overheated

Last edited:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
ANT+. Shimano took a lot of time to come up with a wireless setup mainly because the myriad of ebike motor models they have to compete against. Going ANT+ ensures they will still be able to match their gruppos to Bosch/Bafang/whatever sensors the ebikes will bring. It also allows them to integrate the Fox suspension and several bike computers.
ANT+ is also compatible with most major / modern bike computers (garmin, wahoo, etc).

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
ANT+ is used for power meters. cadence sensors, HR straps and even some lights too

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
The battery is hosted inside the derailleur's parallelogram. The charger attaches to the RD via magnets as with several smartwatch brands. They claim their RD/battery combo doubles the SRAM autonomy.
That's dumb. Can't charge using a car charger while driving, or carry spares to swap in on the trail (if you're the sort that forgets to charge things).

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Regarding Hone...

It also had two versions, one with steel pedal inserts and one without. I pretzalized an insert wearing crank-arm. Pedal held, but the arm, not so much.

Andeh

Customer Title
Mar 3, 2020
lol.
Why wouldn't you be able to use a USB extension lead?

Seems the perfect reason not to waste your money on electric bicycle parts
I don't know about Yurp, but in the US I'm not aware of any cars/vans that have USB outlets by hitches for bikes on racks. You could maybe rig something up for pickups that have outlets in the bed, but that's it.

Not disagreeing with the second point.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I don't know about Yurp, but in the US I'm not aware of any cars/vans that have USB outlets by hitches for bikes on racks. You could maybe rig something up for pickups that have outlets in the bed, but that's it.
I'm not sure why we're even discussing this first world problem you don't even have but...
Are you telling me in your fantasy problem your car doesn't have a "trunk"?
I'm not in Yurp anymore BTW... That ship has sailed

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
That's dumb. Can't charge using a car charger while driving, or carry spares to swap in on the trail (if you're the sort that forgets to charge things).
Surely they have to be demountable or removable. You have to be able to swap them (for emergencies/repairs/forgot to charge/travel requirements/etc).

Locking the battery permanently inside the mech would be such a miss for everything from serviceability to environmental reasons.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Current Di2 batteries are charged through a port on rear mech, frame or bar end plug.
It's really not as big a deal as you guys seem to think. an hours charge every six months or so should see you good.
Locking the battery permanently inside the mech would be such a miss for everything from serviceability to environmental reasons.
As opposed the inside the frame/seatpost/fork steerer ?

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Oh. and if you have a Garmin* your Di2 battery level can be set as a datafield

*or probably any decent GPS head unit

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
As opposed the inside the frame/seatpost/fork steerer ?
They're still removable though. I mean locked in permanently/near permanently like some phone batteries.

But yeah I suppose you can always pull it apart for disposal or whatever.