Quantcast

New singlespeed opinions needed...

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
I'm looking at building up a singlespeed. I have all the parts except for a frame and anything special that might go with that frame that doesn't fit or a tensioner of sorts if needed. Would be nice to have a geared option for later, but not absulutely necessary.

I'm looking for under $250 for a frame. That points me toward the following:

Nashbar Signiture 853 (needs chain tensioner) $289.95 (20%off thru today 10/12)
Nashbar Steel Mtb (needs chain tensioner) $44.95 (20%off thru today 10/12)
Zion 660EBB $249

What are the opinions of these picks and am I missing any?

Dan

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
Ah, won't work. Forgot to mention that I land between a 14.5" and a 16" frame. The Hooligan is too long in the top tube and a little tall.

Dan

Apr 25, 2004
NOVA
Sette Reken

While you only listed steel frames, I thought I'd throw this one out as an option. I recently came across a guy riding one of these frames with a tensioner. He really liked it. Granted, it isn't the lightest out there but it looks nice and strong, has the option for gears and the price can't be beat.

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
Well, I have increased my spending level to $500. And also realized that a lot of frames won't work, or work well, with the fork that I have waiting. It is a '01 Marzocchi Z1 CR with 110mm of travel. Too much for the pure XC oriented singlespeed frames.

Edited:

I have now discovered that the Z1 can be shorted up to an 80-85mm travel. So, my options are open. My ride style is aggressive XC. I like to hit the rock gardens, root sections, and log crossings with big grin. No air borne flights more than say 1-2 feet dropping. I'm not quite a jumper. Upon further thinking I need a frame that is a toward the stronger side of XC, but not a jump frame. Depending on the weight and angles a freeride single might be interesting. I'm swayed toward a Surly 1x1 hearing that they are very strong but weight just a hair more than a straight up XC frame.

Dan

capt.crispy

Monkey
Apr 18, 2006
Farmington,New Mexico
Have you looked at the Santa Cruz Chameleon frame?They are great frames for xc or freeride and even light dirtjumping.They would also work with the long or short forks and they have horazontal dropouts with a derailer hanger and killer geometry.You might also look at the kona cowan.It has sliding dropouts so you could go both ways also.the cowan has a little different numbers.I own both and they are both great bikes.:brows:

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I have a Zion 853 EBB and it's a great bike for the $. I would second the suggestion of the Kona Cowan or the Chameleon though. I believe both will work well with the Z1 (My husband is actually running an older Z1 on his Cowan).

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
Have you looked at the Santa Cruz Chameleon frame?They are great frames for xc or freeride and even light dirtjumping.They would also work with the long or short forks and they have horazontal dropouts with a derailer hanger and killer geometry.You might also look at the kona cowan.It has sliding dropouts so you could go both ways also.the cowan has a little different numbers.I own both and they are both great bikes.:brows:
I second the Chameleon, especially from what you say about your riding style. Z1 is a perfect fork for that frame.

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
On-One Inbred about $350 with great geometry and a highly compliant ride.

Kona Explosif about $399 with sliding drops for geared or single. Great feel.

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
I was thinking more towards the side of steel for the softer ride qualities. I used to ride a Azonic DS-1 until I roached the bottom finger holding the derailleur hanger. It was starting to feel a little harsh in the backside. This could be due to the Kona Coiler that I've been hitting up for the last year or so.
The Chameleon I know is considered a stiff ride, and the Cowan I would bet is as well considering it is a dj frame primarily. Don't get me wrong, the geometry seems nice for me on both, but I am afraid of having a jaring ride.
The On-One Inbred does not have rear disc in the states yet I believe right? I of course am using disc.
Apparently I'm picky when I am doling out the cash. Not trying to be a weenie about it though :banana: .

MarsB

Chimp
Aug 17, 2005
Morgantown WV
If steel is what you want, then the Kona Unit/Explosif should be looked at, as m'n's mentioned. I run a 100mm fork on my Unit, 10 more mm wouldn't be a big difference. Or shorten the travel, if you don't like it, like you said.

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
Well, just did a pro/con list of the Surly 1x1 and the Kona Explosif. The Explosif certainly gets more pros and less cons than the 1x1 for my needs.

Can the Explosif take the abuse of rock gardens and log crossings? I don't seem to break parts hardly at all. I don't even bend cross country wheels with 2.1" tires. I just had to true them every once in a great while.

Anybody riding an Explosif that's around 5'6" with ~29" inseem? I'm thinking of the 14" for the standover. The cockpit with the right seatpost (Thompson w/offset) and stem (90mm) seem to add up to my other rides for comfortable lengths. Just have to get the bars up where I like them. Maybe a 20deg rise stem with my monkeylites (3/4" rise).

My local dealer is not putting a sale on the 14" that's available to them. Dorks. That's $449.

Dan

mud'n'sweat

Falcon
Feb 12, 2006
Where are you located? I can possibly locate a better Explosif price for you in central/SW VA.

The Explosif takesa major ABUSE. I'm 6'0" 205lbs. I run mine single speed with a 100mm fork on it. The geometry is even better at 80-90mm so I'm probably going to reduce my Reba down soon. This frame rides like a dream in the ruff stuff. I have done some of the nastiest descents in the state on this bike and it has always handled it with much grace. I wish mine was the 29er version though as I've now discovered how much I like the larger wheels. For the tight twisty singletrack that demands fast acceleration I always bring this bike out. I rode it exclusively over my Ellsworth FS from the day I built it up last may up until a couple weeks ago. Best 26" bike I have ridden for the money, no question.

EDIT: sorry, just saw you were in Ohio, I probably could only have saved you $50. I think however bikeman.com runs this bike at $399 these days.

Turtle

Chimp
May 10, 2002
Brunswick, OH
Hey everybody,

Thanks for the information on the different frames and giving opinions. I decided to purchase a Kona Explosif 14" that dimensionally should fit great (Chameleon tested with similar dimensions in 14.5").
Mud'n'Sweat, I checked Bikeman.com a couple days ago and they didn't have any 14", just 16". So, thanks for the heads up even though they didn't have my size. I ordered it locally. These frames must be well like because they only had one left to order and prices are not going down.
I'm going to have that shop chase, face, and install my heaset (RaceFace cartridge). Hopfully my bottom bracket will be the right length. I have some square taper RaceFace LP Turbines I'll be using with it.

Thanks again,
Dan

p.s. Yes N8, the SoulCraft's are beatiful, but yes they are over my price range and view of what I'd like to pay for a frame. Thank you for the option though.