Quantcast

New Spartan!

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
skid plate is built in, I don't see a bash plate build in, big difference. The Di2 stash compartment is going to essentially be a bunch of endurbros turning their bikes upside down at the top of climbs to get at their stash....

Good departure from old design, this will be stiffer and less prone to burp shocks apparently.

Price is worse, there's now a $1400 (cad) discrepancy between carbon and alu frames. Before it was only a few hundred, now the frame alone will cost over $4000cad with taxes. Ouch, not worth that at all. RM Slayer is more for frame only, but still, 4k for a frame is pretty steep for what is supposed to be a large, non boutique brand. Nomad is less iirc.

It's basically a long travel Troy, which is a good thing.

Last edited:

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
it's also $1000cad more than the Troy Carbon, which is a sign that they are aware what the market is supporting. Which means that the next Troy/Django/etc will follow suit and be overpriced. Shame, as Devinci was hitting the nail on the head with pricing, $2800 for a carbon frame is awsome, $3800 for what essentially the same thing, not so much.

I also hope they did away with enduro bearings and found a better manufacturer.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
They manage to put drains below the rear shock which is a wishful improvement over the Troy and Django.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Looks good but the pricing is getting savage. I'm sure there will be deals going around on them.

Someone on PB pointed out that despite the claimed steeper SA, the frame overly diagram seems to show it being clearly slacker?

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
No denying that's a pretty big difference between the two frames, but the carbon chainstays for sure have a part in the increase.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Expected demand volume is likely less than the Troy, and the market price is higher than they've been charging so a price increase isn't surprising.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
The 2018 carbon NX is $50 cheaper than my 2017 carbon GX. The main difference is the derailleur! I don't believe that my cassette is a GX. The top 3 cogs are riveted together, the rest are individuals. The only other difference is the rims on mine were Raceface AR35. These are their house brand. Possibly identical?

I don't think their prices are outrageous.

2017 the Spartan carbon was $2800us for the frame. I believe their aluminum frame was $2200 or something. Their entry level bike was $3600! For $1400 more you got a rideable machine. Sell the parts. That's what I did.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
Yea, the stays would add for sure, but still, wish they kept their pricing close to 2017 version, as it was a great value. Now it's among some pretty strong competition. What do you buy, the Slayer, or this? Nomad N4, or this? etc.

Guess the aluminum one is what I'll look at (getting something this fall). Been looking for a 150-160mm bike. Troy might even work well with a 150mm fork, but wanted to ride bromont on this.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Yea, the stays would add for sure, but still, wish they kept their pricing close to 2017 version, as it was a great value. Now it's among some pretty strong competition. What do you buy, the Slayer, or this? Nomad N4, or this? etc.

Guess the aluminum one is what I'll look at (getting something this fall). Been looking for a 150-160mm bike. Troy might even work well with a 150mm fork, but wanted to ride bromont on this.
Get one with a threaded BB.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
yea good point. On my Process 134 I've been lucky enough on this Shimano BB, but I hate the idea and lack of practicality of PF.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California

Whichever one has the best geometry for you.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
No problem so far with the bb on my Troy after 1700 km... No problem on the frame I had before either.
I have had problems with pressfit on a previous frame tho, but it was actually the frame that was outside of the tolerances.

This hate of pressfit might be something the #26aintdead crowd is pushing in order to add depth to their repertoire? :brows:

CheetaMike

Monkey
Jul 17, 2016
Whonnock BC Canada
I am just building up my 2017 29" Django frame set I bought . I went with aluminum and for the price of a hand made in Canada frame set it was $$$ well spent . With images of this new Spartan floating around I asked if they where redoing the Django and they said No it was a new design already apart from the metric fit shock .

The new Spartan is a much nicer bike IMO that the older version , With it,s new features such as 38t compatible and 170mm dropper compatible plus a full size water bottle . It,s gonna be on more people radar next season , same with the new Kona,s which images are popping up daily now .

As for the price increase it,s not just Devinci , pretty much every new model from every company is jumping up in price

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have used a 160mm fork on my 2014 troy for a long time and I like it a lot.

I believe I am in on the gx carbon build. I was initially looking for a 160 front a rear travel bike (YT jeffsy), but that has been altered...

-Brett

Metamorphic

Monkey
May 12, 2015
Cackalack
The alloy model looks to be ticking all of my boxes. $2k not terrible either for a made in Canadia frame with a lifetime warranty (howbowdah other thread). Niiiiice.

Overall the bike looks rad. Way to go boys.

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
What. You just posted a link showing the Troy at 2800Cad. what exactly are your trying to convey because your post makes no sense. At all.

The new Spartan is a much nicer bike IMO that the older version , With it,s new features such as 38t compatible and 170mm dropper compatible plus a full size water bottle . It,s gonna be on more people radar next season , same with the new Kona,s which images are popping up daily now .

As for the price increase it,s not just Devinci , pretty much every new model from every company is jumping up in price
Yea, it's a big improvement imo. Less stress on the shock as well.

This hate of pressfit might be something the #26aintdead crowd is pushing in order to add depth to their repertoire? :brows:
No, just those of us who understand how flawed the interface is. I can go on, with a full eng nerd explanation on how a press fit BB is nothing but a cost saving measure, but I think everyone knows already.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
What. You just posted a link showing the Troy at 2800Cad. what exactly are your trying to convey because your post makes no sense. At all.

Yea, it's a big improvement imo. Less stress on the shock as well.

No, just those of us who understand how flawed the interface is. I can go on, with a full eng nerd explanation on how a press fit BB is nothing but a cost saving measure, but I think everyone knows already.
$2479 usd is $3148 CAD,
Not trying to argue, the numbers are the numbers

atrokz

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2002
teedotohdot
The price, in Canadian, when opened with a Canadian location, is 2799. Your location is changing the price for you I assume. Which means US is paying more than we are.

fwp

Monkey
Jun 5, 2013
That makes sense now. My bad, Wasn't trying to argue. You're right, 2200 usd is a slammin deal on a Troy Carbon! Would be nice if American Bike companies showed the same appreciation to their hometown customers.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
No, just those of us who understand how flawed the interface is
Well, I will stop making jokes about 26" wheels:agree:

PF30 seems indeed like a heavily compromised solution, I never had to deal with it. As stated previously I have had good experience with Shimano PF92 which might also be a compromise to some degree... but at least, it is cheap, available and easy to replace when needed.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I just want to throw this out there.

Since 30mm spindles on cranks are becoming more common, I think we'll see a new ISCG soon. The bearings have to get bigger so they'll last longer, the bore for the BB has to get bigger, the tabs have to be moved out. Maybe it will be mounted in some way new to accommodate carbon? Mmmmm, press fit! Lol!

Ttyl, Lizzzz