Quantcast

New thirty + foot road gap at SS

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
They just put in a thiry foot road gap along with new sections for the third race on sport course. You have the same start as the last race but you hit a step up and then a double up the hill instead of going straight down too westridge road. You then descend into three 8 foot berms and then you have straigh shot over a paved section of west ridge road. It is a 25 foot bridge about 4 feet wide at a slight angle. it should be buttery smooth. No one has hit it yet but im sure tryven will grace us with pics soon. aparently he is the guiney pig. The new race course if fast.....:love:

BigMike

BrokenbikeMike
Jul 29, 2003
Montgomery county MD
30' gap in a race course eh? I'm not sure how I feel about that. A lot of people could get really hurt thinking they can do it....

I know, we are all adults and make our own decisions and live with those decisions, but..... a 30' gap seems pretty big!

haromtnbiker said:
Will they have the same course for the 4th race?
No. From what i've heard, the fourth race is going to have two courses. I don't know much about the am course, but the pro course is supposed to run through lower hare ball :eek:

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
they are going to have a bail section around the road gap, so i think most people will be adding a couple seconds to their time. but i agree it is a thirty foot road gap over a paved street.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
BigMike said:
30' gap in a race course eh? I'm not sure how I feel about that. A lot of people could get really hurt thinking they can do it....
I know, we are all adults and make our own decisions and live with those decisions, but..... a 30' gap seems pretty big!
actually the bigger the jump the easier it can be.

we have numerous big jumps in the 25-30ft' range and one 35-40ft'+ roadgap/drop.
if the trail is built to allow you to carry sufficient speed into it.
then theoretically all you have to do is gather up your nads and hit it.
properly built, the jump will do all the work for you.

i'm really hoping that this is the case with their roadgap/jump.

i'm all for downhill trails having features that separate the men from the boys.
a high skill level and confidence in that skill level should pay huge dividends when it comes to racing.

i've always built with the experienced skilled rider in mind.
building for the lowest common denominater does a huge disservice to those that have the ambition to become better riders/racers.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
dhbuilder said:
actually the bigger the jump the easier it can be.

we have numerous big jumps in the 25-30ft' range and one 35-40ft'+ roadgap/drop.
if the trail is built to allow you to carry sufficient speed into it.
then theoretically all you have to do is gather up your nads and hit it.
properly built, the jump will do all the work for you.

i'm really hoping that this is the case with their roadgap/jump.

i'm all for downhill trails having features that separate the men from the boys.
a high skill level and confidence in that skill level should pay huge dividends when it comes to racing.

i've always built with the experienced skilled rider in mind.
building for the lowest common denominater does a huge disservice to those that have the ambition to become better riders/racers.
i have to agree with ya there Joey...a properly built gap is so butter smoth its almost like you didnt leave the ground and most times when you hit the ground you accelerate big time.
i also think that adding more difficult/balsy features to dh trails is awesome...i mean why else would anyone ride a bike with 8 or 9 inches of travel.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
BigMike said:
I think they said those doubles on Shay's were 25 feet. I was over clearing those and the lip wasn't that big. Add just a little more lift and 30+ isn't much different.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Talked to a buddy this morning and he said the new stuff looks sweet. I think it will be cool as hell to have a modified sport course for the next race. I f I undertsood him correctly you come out of the start gate and go right onto the road. Instead of going around the big left hand berm you go over it and hit a hip jump and then into the woods to the road gap. cant wait.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
denjen said:
Talked to a buddy this morning and he said the new stuff looks sweet. I think it will be cool as hell to have a modified sport course for the next race. I f I undertsood him correctly you come out of the start gate and go right onto the road. Instead of going around the big left hand berm you go over it and hit a hip jump and then into the woods to the road gap. cant wait.
Going by what you have discribed I don't think that new gap will be as crazy as people are making it out to be. Sounds like a great way to start off the course, especially if we will be racing on some of the sport course!

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
VT Mtbkr said:
I'm all for having crazy stuff on the course as long as there's a go around for the newbies like me!! I love to watch the pros do that crazy stuff!!
And we love to show off. :oink:

Usually I show off on to my head. :dead:

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
spoke80 said:
Going by what you have discribed I don't think that new gap will be as crazy as people are making it out to be. Sounds like a great way to start off the course, especially if we will be racing on some of the sport course!

it's going to be funny watching people taking themselves out of it mentally over this.
it's already begun here and on other forums.
and it'll be at its peak come friday practice.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
dhbuilder said:
it's going to be funny watching people taking themselves out of it mentally over this.
I know. I'm enjoying it. :rofl:

Either way, I'll be playing on our 30+ gap this Wednesday evening. :evil:

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Robusto said:
Any idea on whether the road gap will be thrown into the race course for #4? Im just getting into the bigger stuff, but as long as it has a pretty clear run-out, I'd probably convince myself to hit it.
I dont think it will be part of the #4 race. They are going to have the pros go down lower hair ball for that race. Or so Ive heard in the rumor mill

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
the rumor mill ?

is that a new restaraunt in the villiage ?
do they have a burger with b.b.q. on top also ?

there's more to look forward to than the riding ya know. :drool:

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
If they built the gap even remotely the way dhbuilder creates gap jumps, all you need is the speed and nerve to hit it, the jump will do the rest for you. I'm looking forward to seeing this jump.

homepiece

Monkey
May 22, 2006
OHIO
it kind of sucks that lower hare ball is now fun to ride, and will get blown out again by holding a race on it.

Bearmntpicnic

Monkey
Oct 23, 2005
charlottesville
dhbuilder said:
Have your seen it? it is enourmous and over a paved road into a slight right turn, it is going to be nasty.

spoke80

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2001
Bearmntpicnic said:
Have your seen it? it is enourmous and over a paved road into a slight right turn, it is going to be nasty.
We'll all see it soon enough and we will see who brings the noise and who brings the funk. I will say that if the SS boys built it then its good to go.

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
homepiece said:
it kind of sucks that lower hare ball is now fun to ride, and will get blown out again by holding a race on it.
lower hairball not lower quickdraw. you coming to monster park.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
Bearmntpicnic said:
i promise not to hold a gun to your head and make you jump it.

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
look at all the youngins wettin themselves over a mere 30ft.

you'll have em checkin for anal leakage with talk of a triple.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Question for you SS regulars - if we arrive on Friday 9/8 for the last race, is there anything that we can ride that day? DS? DJs?

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
just got off the phone with one of the SS locals, this thing is going to be huge. First the 35 foot road gap followed by a 6 pack of doubles each one through a flaming ring of fire. then down STP road where some of the archery pros from the week before will try and skewer you. Finally you hit the 40 foot gap from the last race but now there is a shark tank under it

denjen

Certified Lift Whore
Sep 16, 2001
Richmond VA
Tattooo said:
Can you get some midgets with spears? That would round it out for me.
it was going to be midgets with spears but the guys with bows and arrows where already there so it was easier to just use them