Quantcast

new to area. looking for dj, and freeride, dh trials

ctrenc

Chimp
Mar 3, 2005
Bellingham, wa
I just moved to annapouis and am looking for dirtjumps and any place to ride a freeride bike. Where is this watershed place? Any help would be great. Thanks craig

rpk1988

Dec 6, 2004
Maryland
You just moved to Annapolis. The Watershed is in Frederick. Which is about an hour or possibly two from Annapolis. I am sure if you do a search in this forum (VA and Surroundings) you can find a whole bunch of stuff. Check out the 495 thread.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
a lot of stuff is kept on the DOWNLOW, and rightly so or it tends to get torn down. Hook up with some riders on here and you'll find stuff, but don't expect too much on this website. Lessons learned from that.....

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
My friend lives in Annapolis, there's about 2 or 3 other street/freeride guys there as well. A few of us will be going up to the shed on sunday (if I can get my finshed)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Hey Craig.

I live in Annapolis but I haven't lived here long enough to know where anything is yet nor do I know anyone here so I'm really of little use. I mess around town trying to ride urban sometimes but that's about it. I haven't been to the Shed yet. I have been to Patapsco for XC quite abit. Hopefully when Spring rolls around I'll be able to get out a bit more. I'll probably start riding Monday nights around town. PM if you want to hook up. Also the mechanics that work at Bike Doctor in Annapolis by the mall all seem to ride nice DJ/street hardtails. You might want to go hang out there and talk with them about where they ride.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
jdschall said:
Also the mechanics that work at Bike Doctor in Annapolis by the mall all seem to ride nice DJ/street hardtails. You might want to go hang out there and talk with them about where they ride.
Funny. The guys that worked there years ago laughed at me for putting a 5" fork on my hardtail. Then they tried to sell me carbon bars.

I live in Annapolis, but barely ever ride these days. I've heard rumors of dirtjumps near Best Buy, as well as some "farm trails" up Rt. 2 near Arnold. I have a fun time dicking around at Truxton Park every so often.

I plan on purchasing a rack this summer so I can hit up Patapsco and Frederick...as well as take some camping trips near my alma mater in western maryland.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Ha Ha. The mechanics are cool but notice I said nothing about the sales people... I tried to get a look at a STP and a Chase since they sell both Giant and Cannondales there. (seems logical right?) When I asked the sales person they scratched their head like "WTF are you talking about" so I left. I went in another time for some tubes just happened to ask one of the mechs about it and he was like "oh I have a chase and my friend has an stp" and arranged to bring them in for me to look at them. The only other way I would have gotten to see them was if I put a deposit down and then had them special order it. I don't think so, for a bike I've never seen other than in pictures? No. I ended up going building my own bike and getting a much better deal but I still really appreciated it.

I've ridden around Truxton too. I live 1 block away. There is that one huck there that is pretty cool and the step-up like jump after it. I tend not to go there because you aren't really allowed to ride there anyway and its too small to be worth it. Its too bad the skate park is so lame.

Another time I was riding around the paved path at Quiet Waters with my wife and the ranger stopped me and yelled at me about riding off the paved path which is funny because I didn't even know there was anything unpaved there at the time. Again not worth the hassle.

I will have to go hunt for these Bestbuy DJ's of which you speak. I was thinking to myself just the other day while I was at petsmart that those woods might just harbor something interesting if I were to go poking around.

Other than that I just try to make my daily urban commute down West St. interesting by riding as many skinny brick walls as possible...

Pretty much after living here about 6 months I've decided it sucks.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
jdschall said:
I tried to get a look at a STP and a Chase since they sell both Giant and Cannondales there. (seems logical right?) When I asked the sales person they scratched their head like "WTF are you talking about" so I left.
I checked out the Chase at Bike Doctor on Rt. 2 in Arnold. That guy was really cool...."go for it."

jdschall said:
I've ridden around Truxton too. I live 1 block away. There is that one huck there that is pretty cool and the step-up like jump after it. I tend not to go there because you aren't really allowed to ride there anyway and its too small to be worth it. Its too bad the skate park is so lame.
No kidding? I didn't know you weren't supposed to ride there.

I live on Ridgely in West Annapolis...kind of near Heroes.

jdschall said:
Another time I was riding around the paved path at Quiet Waters with my wife and the ranger stopped me and yelled at me about riding off the paved path which is funny because I didn't even know there was anything unpaved there at the time. Again not worth the hassle.
I've definitely hit up those off-trail trails at Quiet Waters many times :) I've never been caught. They used to be fairly fun...for Annapolis.

jdschall said:
I will have to go hunt for these Bestbuy DJ's of which you speak. I was thinking to myself just the other day while I was at petsmart that those woods might just harbor something interesting if I were to go poking around.
Yeah, let us know. I've never hit a dirt jump in my life, but I'd be curious to hear about this.

jdschall said:
Other than that I just try to make my daily urban commute down West St. interesting by riding as many skinny brick walls as possible...
Have you ever noticed the tiered steps near that Navy housing before you hit the Severn River bridge? That's always looked fun...and if I were less of a vagina, I'd probably do it up.

jdschall said:
Pretty much after living here about 6 months I've decided it sucks.
It sucks for biking, for sure. But we do have wakeboarding! My roomate bought a 2005 Mastercraft X2 last summer, so we've had a lot of fun on that. However, we all suck at wakeboarding, too :)

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
The signs at Truxton are hard to find and you have to be able to read fine print. I doubt its enforced, I just don't want some laborador-walking soccer mom giving me the what for...

There's some really cool stuff on the Naval Academy grounds including a many a perfect stair gap. I'm just afraid of Marines. Its not about being a vagina, its about a fear of automatic weapons.

I'll let you know if (when?) I go on a recon mission at Best Buy.

Where's Hereos? I know I have passed it at somepoint.

Wakeboarding - might have to try it.

Do you know anything about this:
http://content.mtbr.com/united-states-trails/trails-maryland/PRD_168214_4553crx.aspx

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
Heroes: It's a little bar right next to the Rt.50 over pass on Ridgely Ave. If you're at Northwoods/Redds Automotive/or that bakery (west annap.), you drive over the little creek bridge, come up the hill and it's on the right before you go over 50. I live on the other side of 50 on the left.

I totally forgot about those Annapolis High School trails. I remember some shop guy telling me about them and it's totally slipped my mind. I'll have to check those out this spring.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
You really should try wakeboarding. Even though we are TERRIBLE, I never have more fun than just sitting out on the boat, dicking around and having a 40 or two.

Here are some good times from last summer:

The Severn River is particulary beautiful at dusk on calm days.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
proglife said:
Heroes: It's a little bar right next to the Rt.50 over pass on Ridgely Ave. If you're at Northwoods/Redds Automotive/or that bakery (west annap.), you drive over the little creek bridge, come up the hill and it's on the right before you go over 50. I live on the other side of 50 on the left.
Yeah I looked it up on a map last night. I know about where it is. I never have been over there except to go to Grauls every once and a while.

Maybe this summer I'll hit you up for a boat ride. Tell your roommate with the boat that I'll provide the 40ozees. Ha Ha.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Do you have to wear a tie at Heroes? I can walk to the bars down town and stagger home but I always feel like I'm the only one there that's not a lawyer or a banker. Let me cut to the chase - is this place a dive? Because what Annapolis needs is a good dive... I'd even settle for pseudo-dive.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
It's definitley more comfortable than a lot of the places downtown. It's a bit darker and more casual than most of those downtown spots.

http://www.heroespub.com/

I like it because they have LOTS of good beers:

MICRO DRAFTS
Anchor Steam
Blue Moon Belgian Wheat
Brewers Art Pale Ale
Brewers Art Resurrection Ale
DeGroens Marzen
Dogfish Head 90 Min. Pale Ale
Dogfish Head Shelter Pale Ale
Fordham Copperhead Ale
Fordham Oyster Stout
Fordham Tavern Lager
Honey Brown Lager
Killian's Irish Red
Ladder 13 Lager (In memory of FDNY Ladder 13)
Lancaster Omish 4 Grain *Ale
Magic Hat #9
Magic Hat Fat Angel
McHenry's Lager
Otter Creek Copper Ale
Otter Creek Porter
Oxford Rasberry Wheat
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale
Weeping Radish Seasonal
Yuengling Lager

IMPORT DRAFTS
Amstel Light
Bass Ale
Beamish Stout
Boddingtons Pub Ale
Fosters Lager
Franziskaner Weiss
Grolsh
Guinness Stout
Harp Lager
John Courage Amber
New Castle Brown Ale
Pilsner Irquel
Spaten Lager

The food is pretty good, too. There is a bartender who works there named Scott that has really good taste in music (IMO) and he'll play stuff off of his iPod all night.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
That beer list looks a bit outdated, actually. I know they've stopped selling Dogfish Head (damn), but they have added Wolavers Organic Oatmeal Stout, which I find myself frequenting.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Cool thanks. Looks like they do have some good beers. I noticed that on their calendar that Tuesday nights they have $2 PRB's. (excelent) I may try to come out Friday night.

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
No problem. The girlfriend is going to a bachelorette party Friday night, so I'll most likely be there. Friday's are a bit more bumpin' than the weeknights, but it's still not as bad as Main Street.

Let me also recommend their taco special on Wednesday nights. Really good soft tortillas, marinated pulled beef, onions, cilantro, shredded cheese, sour cream and verde sauce....very tasty.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Haha. To West St. you go... I'm sure my wife and I will go out tonight and act all green. Which funny because my distant relatives started the prodestant revolution and she's from Scottish blood but hey whatever its all cool.

bruiser

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
annapolis
most of the guys full timers at bike doctor dirt jump or ride street on either bmx or hardtails know off a few local spots that have been around for a while and a coupkle of other spots are getting biult up now that the weather is gettin good

bruiser

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
annapolis
the jumps at best buy are pretty much destroyed and nobody wants to take the time or effort to biuld them up cause of all the contruction thats going on the jumps that are still rideable are probably gonna get bulldozed
If u try the terrance drops in front of the academy by the severn bridge the cops show up within seconds i went to try it one day and the cops showed up and parked in the parking lot below the steps. the cops actually got out of the car and sat on his hood waiting for me to try it

proglife

Monkey
Apr 18, 2002
Annapolis, MD
bruiser said:
If u try the terrance drops in front of the academy by the severn bridge the cops show up within seconds i went to try it one day and the cops showed up and parked in the parking lot below the steps. the cops actually got out of the car and sat on his hood waiting for me to try it
Wow. That's good to know. I'd probably kill myself on something like that anyways.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
When ever I ride around here I try to mentally map where and what I want to ride and then hit and run. Sessioning seems to be a bad idea...

PS: There is a fresh tree stump at Bates Middle school (between the upper and lower fields) that is dying to have some dirt thrown in front of it. I imagine it will get ground up pretty soon but it would make a good hit until its gone...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
bruiser said:
the jumps at best buy are pretty much destroyed and nobody wants to take the time or effort to biuld them up cause of all the contruction thats going on the jumps that are still rideable are probably gonna get bulldozed
I drove by and looked at it and I figured as much. There is a new hotel and an new apartment complex.

bruiser said:
Did you go and talk with them? Maybe they just wanted to watch. I doubt it though. Maybe you could have conned them into hitting it just once.

Do you ride a Bruiser bruiser? I think I may have heard the bikedoctor guys talking about you. I need to get over there and chat them up and get clued into their secret stash. I feel a little bad about hanging out there when I never buy anything more than tubes there. I'd be happy to lend some occasional muscle power...

bruiser

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
annapolis
i used to ride a bruiser but it broke. Most of the time the guys at bike doctor dont mind if u hang out and talk bout bikes and riding quite a few guys swing by and hang out just to talk its not a big deal if its not crazy busy occasionally theyll throw together a group ride at patapsco or go up to delaware to hits soem dirt jumps outside of newark , they were awesome one dude biult them over the course off almost 7 years but he moved about 1 1/2 year ago and then kids on 70cc and 110cc came out and ruined the lips and now there ruined and everytime people go out there to fix them the dirt bikers come back and mess them up

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
bruiser said:
i used to ride a bruiser but it broke.
Yep, you're the guy. I had asked about the Bruiser since they sell trek and they said they knew somebody that had one but that they broke it. Near the brake mount right?

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I doubt it was me. They only time I have seen any bikers around, they were all bmx'ers just hanging out at city-dock sitting with Alex Haley.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Does anybody know they guy with one leg that rides the nice Cannondale XC bike around town? I've never talked to him. If I'm riding along the road he always blows by me before I can even say hey. His prosthetic leg must have bionic powers because he is always haulin'. If find it ironic that he rides a Lefty fork. I wonder if sees the irony as well?

bruiser

Chimp
Feb 4, 2004
annapolis
ridiing in this area can be awesome if u just try a little like this weekend i went and rode at chesapeake bmx track saturday night then sunday before work i hit up patapsco with a buddy of mine nad we rode for like 2 hours until he broke his finger we hit up some off the sickest downhills in patapsco one has like a 10 or 15 foot rock wall to ride down the. we hit the drop into the box at on the railroad side of the river next to swinging bridge which was pretty cool. then after work me and another buddy hit up arundel high for about 2and a hlf hours till it started to get dark. freeride stuff can be found at both arundel and patapsco but more so at patapsco. and then today i find out that two of my buddies went street riding in bmore and some other dudes that i ride with occassionally went djing localy. there really are a lot of riding options in this area

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Yeah. Sounds like you had a good weekend. Its getting better now that it is light a little longer and now that it has been dry for awhile. It sounds more like I need to meet people and get out more than anything else!

Here's my Naptown riding from last week: I commuted everyday so I got a fair amount of urban hit and run in.

Last Thursday I went and checked out the Annapolis High School trails. The trails to the left of the ball fields aren't that great. Lots of steep ups and downs closely spaced so there isn't a good flow. The downs are ok. Most of them involve a 1-2' high drop off a tree root buttress. You are also on the edge of a cliff the whole time which makes it seem like you will fall into the water at any moment. The trails on the right side (Broad Creek Park) are awesome XC trails. Very smooth and fast with a couple of really technical switch backs. I didn't get to explore too much there is probably more hidden away. I suspect that the 2 trails connect at some point. I saw no other riders. Just a guy with a dog.

It also looked like there was some very interesting terrain right behind the tennis courts. The area was fenced off but from what I could see there were a bunch of big piles of over grown dirt. Hmmmmm????? I need to do a scouting mission.

Friday night I just rode around town. I found a couple of nice stair drops at St. Johns College that I have now "worked" into my daily commute. (My daily commute looks like one of those Bill Keane "Family Circus" cartoons where Billy runs all over town to get a cup sugar from the neighbor next door.) There is also a really long skinny that has a 2.5' drop off at the end at St. Johns. I've only made it about half way down so far. And then there is West Street. Lots of brick skinnys and a few small stair drops.

I wish I could get up to Patapsco more than I do. Its great. I also want to hit the BMX track and any local DJ's. (pm me if you know the deal with these...)

Thanks. Enjoy the weather and the daylight.

Dave