Quantcast

New to DH- Old Bike Just Isn't Cutting it

Hey guys.

I went on my first DH ride yesterday with a friend who is helping me get into the sport. I totally loved the entire day (despite my frequent falls), but the bike I am using just isn't doing it for me, as I quickly realized.
I traded an old mini-bike for an '01 Specialized Big Hit. It looks like this, but without the fenders.

I suppose for a bike 10 years old, it's not too bad, but I more or less rattled my teeth out after the day was done. The palms of my hands still have swelling on the from them repeated jerking, and it's not because I'm not used to it either. I ride cross country trails on my Kawasaki, which as never given me as rough of a go as this.
I am looking to get a better bike ASAP, as I'm pretty sure if I keep riding this thing I'll kill myself. In the mean time, I am trying to set the bike to work with my body size a bit better, as the suspension was way too stiff (or just downright crap). I went and got a new spring for my Fox Vanilla back shock and ordered new bushings today, which should help. I'm female, 5'7" and about 120 lbs, so I need something that isn't too stiff.

Anyways, after that wall of text explaining my situation, I'll get to the point.
A few questions.

I want to purchase a new (well a used bike, but it'll be new to me) that will work better for me. I am looking at an '09 Kona Stinky for $1200, an '08 Specialized Demo 7 for $1300, and '07 Rotwild for $900. I want to get a used bike, as I'm still new to the sport, but can any of you guys give me some ideas as to what to look for (considering my height, weight)? I feel that I will advance quickly due to my background in dirtbiking, as I was riding some black trails yesterday despite my terrible suspension.
Also, what can I do in the mean time to get my current bike to cater a bit more to my size so I won't get the crap rattled out of me while riding over roots (or bumps, or rocks... it rattles on everything). I don't really feel like buying new tires though, especially if I get a new bike as soon as I'd like to. Used forks and back shock are about all I'm willing to do.

Thanks very much. :D

Last edited:

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
of your mentioned choices go for the specialized.

take the time to find a shop or someone that have good knowledge about suspension.

and really invest the extra bucks you save over the kona or more expensive rides to get your suspension front/rear sorted out 100%.

at your weight it might be hard to find springs low enough in lbs to suit you though.

and last, make sure you get the right size bike. im guessing here but based on your weight i would say look for a small or XS in size, and most important try before you buy.

buying without trying is fine later on, but when buying as a beginner you really dont have a feel for whats "good" untill you sit on it and bounce etc.

Theres a ton of other stuff, but you can google it or browse older threads here for lots of those answers.

of your mentioned choices go for the specialized.

take the time to find a shop or someone that have good knowledge about suspension.

and really invest the extra bucks you save over the kona or more expensive rides to get your suspension front/rear sorted out 100%.

at your weight it might be hard to find springs low enough in lbs to suit you though.

and last, make sure you get the right size bike. im guessing here but based on your weight i would say look for a small or XS in size, and most important try before you buy.

buying without trying is fine later on, but when buying as a beginner you really dont have a feel for whats "good" untill you sit on it and bounce etc.

Theres a ton of other stuff, but you can google it or browse older threads here for lots of those answers.
Thanks for the post. I felt a huge difference when I rode my friend's bike for a run (also an '09 Kona Stinky). It felt so much better.
I think I'd just have to try and find a nice light spring for the bike, and adjust the compression/rebound. I think I could probably ride a small-medium, as I am fairly tall... but then again I don't know much about the sport.

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
I completely agree to find a solid local shop that supports DH, go in and ask questions.

If you can and have access to a lift served location, try renting a DH bike and understand how it's a different beast from an all mountain or older free ride bike.

Recognize that do it all bikes don't really exist (unless your name is Vouilouz). It's more likely that you would be better off buying a good used DH race bike (glory, demo 8, sunday) and a cheap dirt jump bike for trail riding, rather than trying to make a stinky work and not do anything well. Even a BMX bike would be a good combo.

Keep asking questions, you are totally on the right track.

Deano

Monkey
Feb 14, 2011
use the size guide each manufacturer has for their bikes and see what fits. :)

later on youll find out if you prefer your bikes on the smaller or larger side of things.

smaller means easier to handle, large sizes compared to your size, can end up feeling like big ol barges, that take a lot of body english to move about.

As for your friends stinky vs that old ride of yours, obviously it will feel better, in terms of geometry of the bike and better suspension allround. most newer bikes will.

I completely agree to find a solid local shop that supports DH, go in and ask questions.

If you can and have access to a lift served location, try renting a DH bike and understand how it's a different beast from an all mountain or older free ride bike.

Recognize that do it all bikes don't really exist (unless your name is Vouilouz). It's more likely that you would be better off buying a good used DH race bike (glory, demo 8, sunday) and a cheap dirt jump bike for trail riding, rather than trying to make a stinky work and not do anything well. Even a BMX bike would be a good combo.

Keep asking questions, you are totally on the right track.
Yeah, I do have access to a said lift-served location. That's where I rode yesterday, and probably where I will be riding most of the time.
I don't particularly want two bikes, either. Then again, I don't truly know what I want. What would be the the purpose of having a racing bike and a trail bike...? I'm not entirely sure how they differ...
Like, I am going to be riding on the ski-hill most of the time (lift served) and doing true downhill runs as I get better (the ones that highly recommend a full-suspension and full body armour).

BrianMac

Chimp
Sep 10, 2001
Toronto, Canada
Yeah, I do have access to a said lift-served location. That's where I rode yesterday, and probably where I will be riding most of the time.
I don't particularly want two bikes, either. Then again, I don't truly know what I want. What would be the the purpose of having a racing bike and a trail bike...? I'm not entirely sure how they differ...
Like, I am going to be riding on the ski-hill most of the time (lift served) and doing true downhill runs as I get better.
The idea of getting two bikes is to not comprise on the DH bike and be tempted to get something that is okay on the lift served but you can still sort of pedal around. Most people ride trails or dirt jump (because it's local and close) and go to the lift served places when they can.

If your main focus will be lift served (which is great) then get something you can really enjoy, namely a big bike.

The idea of getting two bikes is to not comprise on the DH bike and be tempted to get something that is okay on the lift served but you can still sort of pedal around. Most people ride trails or dirt jump (because it's local and close) and go to the lift served places when they can.

If your main focus will be lift served (which is great) then get something you can really enjoy, namely a big bike.
OK, thanks for clearing that up for me.

If anything, I'll just keep the old Specialized for trails and such if I decide to ever go out and do that sort of thing, cause it's not a bad cross country/ mild DH bike. Then I'll just buy something that can also handle the tougher trails.

Cheers