Quantcast

New to PA, look for some good spots

Jul 11, 2008
Outside Philly
I just moved to Delaware county PA which is just SW of Philly. I was wondering if there is anyone who could tell me if there is any good dirt jumping, urban or freeriding in the area? Anyone who wants to go ride and lives near the area, let me know.

jsh191

Monkey
Nov 16, 2006
birdsboro, pa
how far you willing to go? and, where you at in delaware county? i live near reading and ride there all the time... it's a bit of hike for you, but totally shuttleable and worth the trip for freeride and dh. let me know if you wanna hit the trails sometime... i can definitely show you around.

SPINTECK

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2005
abc
not much down there. great road bike scene, but DH is only hike-a-bike at spring mount, reading duryea drive and french creek state park.

some xc at wissahicken in the city, but it sucks compared to french creek. get a road bike and do some night time training rides- i really miss them (tuesday night Kelly drive, thursday night malvern, and many more i never did).

Jul 11, 2008
Outside Philly
I live in Secane, which is near Ridley Park and Chester. I wouldn't mind coming up to ride in Reading, but it may be a few weekends before I can get a chance. I'll keep in touch. I need to get a road bike and train at night instead of watching bike videos and wishing I was riding. Do either of y'all go to Diablo? That is something I want to do ASAP. Thanks for the suggestions guys.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
I thought that I read about some DJ stuff in Delco. (?) Could've been on the PA forums over on (Gasp!) mt@r.com

Otherwise, you need to get to know Ted from Downingtown. I missed his benefit for Jay DeJesus of EWR Bikes but google it. I'm sure you'll find something by searching "Ted's Jump Jam" with some photos, etc.

Just throwing this stuff out there off of the top of my head.

Oct 8, 2003
Reading is worth the drive I do a lot of the trail work in the winter and most things are cleared out really well. The one side has gotten a little overgrown but the front side and back side are all in great shape just the rotory side is in need of some work. I ride there all the time though so if you want to come ride let me know anyone is welcome.

Nov 12, 2007
I'm not sure what Spinteck is talking about when he says xc riding at the Wissahickon Park sucks when compared to French Creek. French Creek is great riding, but I've never seen it ranked as a "destination" riding spot like the Wissahickon Park continually is.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a pissing contest here about French Creek vs. Wissahickon (or any trail system for that matter), but I'd hate to scare a guy away from his most local trail based on one bad review.

Here are my recommendations for rides near Ridley Park/Secane:

Wissahickon Park, Philadelphia, Pa: 18 miles of fast, technical xc riding and a dirt jump park. Both are worth checking out.

White Clay, Newark, DE: 10 miles +/- of fast flowy singletrack with a very small ladder bridge area. Worth an occasional visit.

Neshaminy H.S., Neshaminy, PA: 8 miles of xc.

French Creek State Park: (near Reading) 26 miles of xc riding. Short climbs, long climbs, rock gardens, sweet descents, log rollers. Very nice area, not too crowded and the only state park that really welcomes mountain bikers.

There are a lot others, but those are four that jumped right out of my mind; three of which are right by you. You will notice that, with the exception of the dirt jump park at Wissahickon, I did not mention any freeride or dirt jump parks. That is due to two things: (1) that is not really my scene and (2) there are really no well advertised public freeride/dirt jumps in the immediate Philly area.

If you email or pm me I can put you in touch with a group of guys who can get you some beta on that scene though.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2007
Currently wrapping up the GA job and staring down the barrel of a KY job.

Will be back in PA at the end of next week for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get in on some group rides while I'm up there.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
If you can make the drive up the turnpike, we have some pretty nice spots to ride in the Lehigh Valley, depending on what you want. PM myself or MountainDrew or R464.

EastCoaster

Monkey
Mar 30, 2002
Southeastern PA
Currently wrapping up the GA job and staring down the barrel of a KY job.

Will be back in PA at the end of next week for a couple of weeks. I'm hoping to get in on some group rides while I'm up there.

Heh, heh.... Hopefully.... you meant "Kentucky" with the "KY" ...... That sentence didn't sound too good!!! ;-)

May be hitting Wiss, Belmont, or French Creek this Sun. am. Haven't heard from Kenn in a while. No idea where those boys've been riding.
Hmmm...maybe I'll shoot you an email....

Nov 12, 2007
Ahh, the good old Lehigh Valley; now, that is some good riding!

South Mountain (Lehigh), South Mountain (Emmaus, is that still open for riding?), the trail by hospital in Bethlehem (Saucon, I believe). Nice, technical rocky riding.

Jacobsburg State Park - fast and flowy.

The farther you go north on the Turnpike, the rockier and more technical it gets. Jim Thorpe, Sicklers.....

Good stuff all.