Quantcast

new toys from deity on their site

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
looks like deity posted up some new products. i'm kinda shocked there hasn't been any noise about it here.

diggin' the pedals at 430g and $75. also claiming a new pedal is on the way at 364g!!! weight weenie party.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
replace.

I'm sure it weighs more, which is why they didn't do it, but IMO it's worth it to be able to replace the pins without vice grips and a prayer.

Although...it seems like most pedals don't last long enough to actually need to replace the pins. More often than not, by that point the bearings are completely shot.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
those are by far the most comfortable platforms that i've ever felt in my life. we have a few in the shop and everyone is blown away by how they feel

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Even though they are not quite the same, look at atomlab gi du bushings. I have only dj's with them so far, but they are going on my downhill bike. They feel pretty good, and I like how they don't spin a ton, and have a wider platform.

I am thinking about eventually getting those kona wah wah pedals or possible, if the reviews are good, and the price in not over the top... maybe the e-13's.

Don't get me wrong though, deity products are top notch.

nmpearson

Monkey
Dec 30, 2006
atomlab gi pedals feel so cheap compared to the deity's. I can never get the double du's to work that amazing, and the non-du's break within a year. i really like the du/bearing system. It's super smooth. The one pedal i'm also stoked for is the new transitions. You can control the spin of them and they're pretty light

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
if you have a bolt that has to be take out through the back, once you have a damaged one, taking out the bolt would ruin the thread.

set screws work just fine, just use some lock jaw pliers to take them out.

i got a pair of these on order, cant wait.

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
They are very nice pedals indeed.

Correct me if im wrong but my observations are that they are (they could be) a generic taiwanese pedal branded up.

I know of at least one other company (at least) selling what looks to be an identical pedal only in black with their logo for £36.99 - a fair bit lower than $75 - This ones just white.

The lighter ones will be magnesium and a slightly different design - im pretty sure what they will look like though.......

Last edited:
Sep 12, 2004
mehhhh.....i like the flat design but i hate the stupid allen head axle - put a damn 15mm wrench flat area on the axle please!!!

still not lighter than wellgo mg1s and they cost more....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
holy crap, i did not notice that. those go right off the list then...no way am I going to risk a stuck pair of pedals and a rounded out allen head. Something tells me they can't be foolish enough to leave it off completely though, can they?

Sep 12, 2004
a lot of pedals have it...in the road or spd world

it reduces the weight of the axle...do you know how fun it is to take off pedals using an 8 or 6mm allen wrench and having to use an old seat post as a leverage breaker bar and trying not to smash your knuckles into the chainring or the frame?

the answer: its very fun

poor design feature imo

Last edited:

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
^^^ come on. fo' real? grease the threads when you put the pedal in and don't be a gorilla with a wrench.
I can tell you from experience, it doesn't matter. It could be a perfectly maintained road bike, you're still breaking out a leverage bar. I absolutely despise pedals without a 15mm knotch for pedal wrenches.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
agreed. if you don't remove and regrease the pedals monthly or after every splash through a stream, your pedals may seize up.

Sep 12, 2004
no

seriously, with allen pedals, you almost can never take them off with a standard length wrench. try getting a little dirt or mud behind there - makes it even more fun

working in a shop, i get to take off/put on pedals every day. everyone who does this hates allen only axle pedals - they suck. even greased - theyre HARD to get off

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
maybe i'm spoiled by living in the dry of SoCal, but i have yet to have a problem with allen only pedals. i know things are different in moist climates, which is a small price to pay for having "dirt" to ride and not "sand."

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
maybe i'm spoiled by living in the dry of SoCal, but i have yet to have a problem with allen only pedals. i know things are different in moist climates, which is a small price to pay for having "dirt" to ride and not "sand."
Nah, I ride constantly in the mud on the East Coast, and I have never had a problem either. Most of the time, I change my mallets with a 3 way allen which gives even less leverage than a normal allen key.
I just greased the threads from time to time like I do with all pedals.
No big deal.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
They are very nice pedals indeed.

Correct me if im wrong but my observations are that they are (they could be) a generic taiwanese pedal branded up.

I know of at least one other company (at least) selling what looks to be an identical pedal only in black with their logo for £36.99 - a fair bit lower than $75 - This ones just white.
I'd love to correct you, but I don't know to which pedal you're referring. Right now this is a baseless allegation. And one that I'm really interested in. I like the look, specs and price of these pedals, but I'm not going to pay $18 more for a particular color.

What pedals are you thinking of?

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Here is the manufacturer (Hsing Ta Ind Taiwan) of a pedal i believe to be 'similar'...

Its for sale in the UK for under the £40.00 mark branded up - just have a look about you will find them look for 'Nano' flat pedals.

http://www.ht-components.com - go to 'nano' its the ANO1TS

6061 Extruded then CNC's
440g weight (cromo axle)
10 replacable pins
DU Bushing and sealed bearings......

Rick205

Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
I must say i dont very much about deity - i was just making a point that a 'similar' product could be had for less outlay.

The deity's do look nicer - boils down to what country you are in and company customer service (not that i know what their or superstars customer service is like) - you need to add it up and see what matters most - cost or potential support

EDIT: There you go - Seb's also noticed the similarities too - look like a great deal superstars bringing into the market - i bet the deitys will be close to the same amount in pounds retail in the UK as they are dollars in the US making a big price difference.

Rick

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I like the mag lite ones so much I ordered a 2nd set today, and had to slap myself to stop from ordering a 3rd set! If you look on one of the HT websites they do a ti axle for them too saving another 60g or so... no-one's importing that yet, gonna ask the superstar guy if he plans to.

Benton

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
SLC
Here is the manufacturer (Hsing Ta Ind Taiwan) of a pedal i believe to be 'similar'...

Its for sale in the UK for under the £40.00 mark branded up - just have a look about you will find them look for 'Nano' flat pedals.

http://www.ht-components.com - go to 'nano' its the ANO1TS

6061 Extruded then CNC's
440g weight (cromo axle)
10 replacable pins
DU Bushing and sealed bearings......
Yep, totally agree. They seem identical except for logo and colors. But, I haven't found a place in the US to buy the HT pedals yet, so I don't know if they'll be any cheaper in the US.

Thanks for sharing the info. Does seem like a nice pedal regardless of who's making it.

Sep 12, 2004
Hasn't Deity always been Taiwan catalog parts?
yes, yes they are

by the way, check out the air 06ss pedals on that ht website...280grams per set of pedals with ti axle. WOW. someone should really become a us distro of these guys and make some bank.

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
yes, yes they are

by the way, check out the air 06ss pedals on that ht website...280grams per set of pedals with ti axle. WOW. someone should really become a us distro of these guys and make some bank.
That's what I have at the moment (albeit with a steel axle). UK importer says he'll have some ti axles in jan/feb.