Quantcast

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So, after all the times I've posted questions about what to buy (from cars, to vans to trucks) I finally did it! SUPER excited on this one!

2003 Chevy 2500HD Duramax. It's extended cab, leather, bose, 4x4, intake, exhaust, bigger tires, leveling blocks in front. The int. is pretty much perfect and looks like it's never been used!

My favorite part is the original owner bought the truck in Colorado where they did not come with a cat. Well...because of that, when he moved to CA it got permanently put under the category as a "federal" diesel vehicle and is not required to have a cat for smog! Talked to the DMV and smog shops about that before I bought it and said that it's legit and VERY few diesels in CA have that exemption.

Anyways...here's a pic. of my new baby sitting in my driveway :D

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
sick truck if you don't mind me asking how much did you get it for?
Got it for 16k. Pretty low miles and the mechanic at the chevy dealership who inspected it for me said it's a really good deal too. He also threw in the tool box (which is basically new) and 2 new tires for when I need those.

And for those of you saying my timing sucks for a diesel...I have never really cared about gas prices...

Potroast88

YouTube Boy
Jan 18, 2004
Bomb City
I love my Dmax. Put a programmer on it and it will blow you away how much power that thing will make. Here's mine with my travel trailer.

insanitylevel9

triple nubby
Jan 7, 2011
hopkinton ma
Got it for 16k. Pretty low miles and the mechanic at the chevy dealership who inspected it for me said it's a really good deal too. He also threw in the tool box (which is basically new) and 2 new tires for when I need those.

And for those of you saying my timing sucks for a diesel...I have never really cared about gas prices...
its a really nice truck man, enjoy it.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
When I was living in my parents cabin as temporary housing while I was looking for a house for 8 months, I had a 70 mile commute each way to and from work. My Jeep gets about 13-14mpg. Gas at the time was hovering around $3.50 a gallon IIRC.

Do the math......I use one CC for gas only and it was nearing $800 a month alone. Ugh.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
So you're either dumb as a rock or fabulously rich. Which is it?
Neither. I just love these trucks so don't mind paying the extra for gas. Quite frankly it's only about 25c/gallon more for diesel and I'd rather have the reliability of a diesel and the mileage.

And FYI...when I go to the pump to fill up any car, I don't look at the dollar amount, otherwise I probably would care about gas prices. I'm used to filing up the plane I am training in so these gas bills are pretty cheap!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
Neither. I just love these trucks so don't mind paying the extra for gas. Quite frankly it's only about 25c/gallon more for diesel and I'd rather have the reliability of a diesel and the mileage.

And FYI...when I go to the pump to fill up any car, I don't look at the dollar amount, otherwise I probably would care about gas prices. I'm used to filing up the plane I am training in so these gas bills are pretty cheap!
I think you missed the point.
You must have a good chunk of disposable income for that to not concern you.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I think you missed the point.
You must have a good chunk of disposable income for that to not concern you.
At this point yes. I paid off my motorcycle and credit cards and yes...am living at home at the moment. Only living at home till I finish all my flying ratings and school. Working full time and a decent paying job helps also.

I'm not going to lie...it's expensive and will drain a lot of the income i have and was not the smartest choice for the driving I have to do. Oh well, it's super comfortable, fast and good milage for a truck so love it!

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
At this point yes. I paid off my motorcycle and credit cards and yes...am living at home at the moment. Only living at home till I finish all my flying ratings and school. Working full time and a decent paying job helps also.

I'm not going to lie...it's expensive and will drain a lot of the income i have and was not the smartest choice for the driving I have to do. Oh well, it's super comfortable, fast and good milage for a truck so love it!
Well, its done, so enjoy it.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI

Don't feel bad, I have a 28-30 mpg car in the driveway, and I'd still rather drive my 35 cents more per gallon 16-18 mpg truck. I drive over 120 miles a day for work.

So, once a week I drive the truck :D

Damo

Short One Marshmallow
Sep 7, 2006
French Alps
Nice truck.

Unfortunately, American trucks are hard to come by over here, so I'm settling for a Jap one: