Quantcast

New Video - Santa Cruz Riding

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
not to be a dick, but are you really riding so far out of your comfort range that you need the Leatt while filming for fun with friends?
if you're scared of breaking your neck while just having a good time, it might be a good idea to take it down a notch and ride within your limits. kind of seems like a F.R.O. thing, but I guess that's just me.
I'm sure everyone will just love my opinion :biggrin:

then again, if you aren't riding above your limits, how will you improve?
I think I just corrected myself :busted:

regardless, dope video! I was really digging the shot attached to your handlebar with the fork in view...

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
not to be a dick, but are you really riding so far out of your comfort range that you need the Leatt while filming for fun with friends?
if you're scared of breaking your neck while just having a good time, it might be a good idea to take it down a notch and ride within your limits. kind of seems like a F.R.O. thing, but I guess that's just me.

regardless, dope video! I was really digging the shot attached to your handlebar with the fork in view...
I don't think you are being a dick, first off.

Second, I ride with the brace just for general safety. I ride casual with it and I also race with it.

It has nothing to do with my limits. I have a fiance and a great family I would like continue to enjoy. The last thing I want to do is go out riding for fun with my friends or for a video or something and come back with a broken neck or not at all.

Your response (not to be a dick) seems like you might be someones who's cool with riding their bike without a helmet. Because, you know, you are just riding to the store or riding with your friends for fun... I am just not one of those guys. I ride with a helmet for everything and when it comes to dh riding, I will always have the Leatt on.

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Good times out on the trails. =]

Last edited:

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
If i had a Leatt, i'd wear it whether i was just cruising the DH trails or riding hard. It's not like you know when you're going to crash and break your neck.

He is probably just getting used to the brace before race season begins. It always helps to get used to your equipment.

Also, what's up with all the man boobs talk?

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
moobs are hawt. I have some. Mine are lactating. My friends love riding with me. They break out the oreo's all the time.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
Your response (not to be a dick) seems like you might be someones who's cool with riding their bike without a helmet. Because, you know, you are just riding to the store or riding with your friends for fun... I am just not one of those guys. I ride with a helmet for everything and when it comes to dh riding, I will always have the Leatt on.
It wasn't too long ago that snowboarders got ridiculed if they wore a helmet and now everyone does. It's good to see the Leatt is catching on - mine's coming. I played lawn darts once at N* last year and it didn't feel good.

My two worst concussions came when I was just cruising along the streets and idoit pedestrians jumped out in front of me and took me out. Luckily I was wearing helmets each time but I know a lot of people wouldn't have been. I always wear a helmet and I've passed that on to my son. He won't touch one of his bikes without a helmet.

dap

Chimp
Jul 25, 2006
Central, NY
If i had a Leatt, i'd wear it whether i was just cruising the DH trails or riding hard. It's not like you know when you're going to crash and break your neck.
AMEN! Pretty funny (not really) how safety is so under rated. I always wear gear I don't care how "uncool" I look or how much it slows me down. After racing street bikes and seeing crazy stuff happen you learn to appreciate the protection provided by companies! As always don't forget the saying "live and learn don't crash and burn" (just had too)

Leppah

Turbo Monkey
Mar 12, 2008
Utar
One of our buddies broke part of his neck riding Dh at the end of last season. He was just cruisin down a local trail, hooked a root with his pedal while he wasn't payin attention, and scorped right in to a rock. His head was cranked back as far as it could go. pretty much had his chin on the ground and his body rolled up over his head. he was lucky that he didn't end up paralyzed.
THat scared the crap out of us. So some of the locals that could afford the Leatt went out and bought some. It only takes one crash.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
Second, I ride with the brace just for general safety. I ride casual with it and I also race with it.
AMEN! Pretty funny (not really) how safety is so under rated. I always wear gear I don't care how "uncool" I look or how much it slows me down.
Not trying to say I wouldn't wear a Leatt. If I had one, believe me, I'd probably ride with it pretty often.
Never said it was 'uncool' or slowed down/hindered riding abilities at all.

Nothing cool about risking your life much less being able to ride the next day; I respect you for wearing it all the time. Might have to follow your example.
:cheers:

First off, won't most people be riding pretty hard if they are filming?

Second, I think you stand just a good a chance of getting messed up at 75% as at 100%, Personally I seem to get hurt more often when I'm "just cruising" maybe its because my level of focus is much higher when I'm pushing it. Therefor I think its actually safer to push it in a focused zone, and tend to always ride this way.

I think protective gear is always a good idea.

Just the way I view things.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
One of our buddies broke part of his neck riding Dh at the end of last season. He was just cruisin down a local trail, hooked a root with his pedal while he wasn't payin attention, and scorped right in to a rock. His head was cranked back as far as it could go. pretty much had his chin on the ground and his body rolled up over his head. he was lucky that he didn't end up paralyzed.
THat scared the crap out of us. So some of the locals that could afford the Leatt went out and bought some. It only takes one crash.
That is exactly the kind of crash where a Leatt brace scares me. Your neck is SUPPOSED to bend like that. If it can't then your upper back will bend around the edge of the brace, in which case you're in pretty big trouble because your back does not bend that way.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Hahah, Josh- camera angle + Leatt chest straps + baggy jersey do in fact = man boobs!

Fun looking trail though. One of these days you guys gotta show me some of these neato OTHER places to ride in Santa Cruz

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
if you're scared of breaking your neck while just having a good time, it might be a good idea to take it down a notch and ride within your limits.
That is precisely how/when Matti Lehikoinen broke his neck last year. Just sayin'.

dh gangster

Monkey
Jul 31, 2006
P en Doubleyou
I compression fractured 6 vertebrae last year during sunday morning practice before a race at Brian Head. Its not as fun as it might sound.
So naturally this year I have a Leatt and wear it all the time, for a couple reasons.
1. It helps me get used to it, so when i'm racing its just second nature
2. I feel more moto when i wear it :D so i relax and ride better
3. If something DID happen, I'd be covered.

And regarding your neck being supposed to flex like that, i respectfully disagree.
I would much rather have a Leatt disperse the stress of that fall along 8 or 9 vertebrae in the mid back, rather than explode a C vertebrae in your neck and be paralyzed.
I dont think your body would continue to scorpion around the end of the leatt, it stabilizes your back enough that it should just end up straight, possibly slightly angled over, but i doubt it would just break a vertebra farther down.

-fysh-

Chimp
Jan 7, 2009
Gnarcal
I saw the guy on the White Tomac on Saturday at CCCX. Whoever you were, you were damn fast! and i like your bike a lot!

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
And regarding your neck being supposed to flex like that, i respectfully disagree.
I would much rather have a Leatt disperse the stress of that fall along 8 or 9 vertebrae in the mid back, rather than explode a C vertebrae in your neck and be paralyzed.
I dont think your body would continue to scorpion around the end of the leatt, it stabilizes your back enough that it should just end up straight, possibly slightly angled over, but i doubt it would just break a vertebra farther down.
The thing is it doesn't really "disperse" the bending as much as it just lets your back "pivot". If you hit something hard enough and nail it with your chin with you and the bike still rotating forward all scorpion style, your body weight will be carrying enough momentum to do just that. I've seen enough HARD bike crashes, and multitudes more people taking bad frontal hits during my many years of ice hockey and reffing to get a feel for what happens when you go flying into something face first.

First things first is get comfortable falling. It's part of the sport and having it be second nature and staying in control will help you 10x more than any brace will.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That is exactly the kind of crash where a Leatt brace scares me. Your neck is SUPPOSED to bend like that. If it can't then your upper back will bend around the edge of the brace, in which case you're in pretty big trouble because your back does not bend that way.
No, its NOT supposed to bend like that. The injury he described is called hyperextension and is one of the leading causes of spinal injuries in the neck. Hyperflexion is the neck bending forward (chin to the chest), Hyperextension is the neck bending backwards - in both cases the injury is caused when the neck is forced beyond its natural range of motion. Both of these are the 2 primary kinds of injuries the Leatt braces were designed to PREVENT.

The thing is it doesn't really "disperse" the bending as much as it just lets your back "pivot". If you hit something hard enough and nail it with your chin with you and the bike still rotating forward all scorpion style, your body weight will be carrying enough momentum to do just that. I've seen enough HARD bike crashes, and multitudes more people taking bad frontal hits during my many years of ice hockey and reffing to get a feel for what happens when you go flying into something face first.

First things first is get comfortable falling. It's part of the sport and having it be second nature and staying in control will help you 10x more than any brace will.
Have you personally had any hands on time riding/using a Leatt? Or are you just talking out your ass like you normally do?

Last edited:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I saw the guy on the White Tomac on Saturday at CCCX. Whoever you were, you were damn fast! and i like your bike a lot!
That was me and thanks!

Only 14 seconds off of Mark Weir. Haha fast, but not that fast =]

If you are interested, (hopefully) shortly after the Sea Otter, some local shops will most likely be carrying Tomac Mountain Bikes.