Quantcast

New Vivid AIR!?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Vid works in IE but not Chrome for some reason.

Anyway looks cool, wonder how well the expandable rebound needle actually works. The "speed sensitive nature of air springs" I'm pretty sure is just BS though. Even at a shaft speed of 10m/s the dynamic viscosity of air would make roughly no difference at all when compared to every other force acting on the shock. If I had to guess I'd say the inherent progression in air springs is the effect they're feeling.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Vid works in IE but not Chrome for some reason.

Anyway looks cool, wonder how well the expandable rebound needle actually works. The "speed sensitive nature of air springs" I'm pretty sure is just BS though. Even at a shaft speed of 10m/s the dynamic viscosity of air would make roughly no difference at all when compared to every other force acting on the shock. If I had to guess I'd say the inherent progression in air springs is the effect they're feeling.
It seems like you have something insightful to say, I can't really understand you though. Could you explain that to me in lemans terms?

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
It seems like you have something insightful to say, I can't really understand you though. Could you explain that to me in lemans terms?
Well they're claiming the shock has a higher dynamic ride height (ie it sits up in its travel well, doesn't blow through too easily) and they then say that's because of the "speed sensitive nature" of air springs, ie the damping effect of air springs... which would be totally insignificant compared to the damping forces coming from the damper and the spring forces generated by the air spring. Mountain bike shocks don't move anywhere NEAR fast enough to be generating any significant damping force out of the spring alone, but the spring rate of any air spring will be significantly different to the "equivalent" coil spring. I think it's far more likely that the differences between air and coil spring they're feeling are due to the differences in spring rate rather than effective damping rates CAUSED by the air spring. Not that it really matters anyway. Hopefully the thing works as claimed!

Banshee Rider

Turbo Monkey
Jul 31, 2003
I'd entertain the idea. There are definately some big claims in there (EVERY big name rider choosing the air over coil after testing, etc.). I'm skeptical simply because they've never pushed the benefits of air with their WC fork like this. One would think they would market the WC over the Team the same way to justify the price if air was preferred by every rider, every time, for the given reasons. The price seems rather high, but not so much when considering the price of a Ti coil. I just really hope they nail this shock during production, because if it has the same problems the Monarch has had, it'll really set back rider acceptance towards air for DH.

TheTruth

Turbo Monkey
Jun 15, 2009
I'm waving. Can you see me now?
Well they're claiming the shock has a higher dynamic ride height (ie it sits up in its travel well, doesn't blow through too easily) and they then say that's because of the "speed sensitive nature" of air springs, ie the damping effect of air springs... which would be totally insignificant compared to the damping forces coming from the damper and the spring forces generated by the air spring. Mountain bike shocks don't move anywhere NEAR fast enough to be generating any significant damping force out of the spring alone, but the spring rate of any air spring will be significantly different to the "equivalent" coil spring. I think it's far more likely that the differences between air and coil spring they're feeling are due to the differences in spring rate rather than effective damping rates CAUSED by the air spring. Not that it really matters anyway. Hopefully the thing works as claimed!
Oh I get ya. Thanks

RayB

Monkey
Jan 31, 2008
Seattle
$620 for a air shock?? lolz
Word.

Though, that's to be expected.

The Vivid Air looks/sounds promising and I have no doubt that it'll perform as advertised. Props to SRAM for releasing this--as it was due to fit the evolution/progression of this sport.

(I'm sticking with my ISX-6 though.)

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
At that pricepoint its likely the best heat treated air money can buy :shocked: :D

On a serious note 400 grams savings is actually less than the difference between the the DHX air and coil though most versions of the DHX air are pretty awful but at least Fox doesn't punish you so much on the price. The 2010 w/BV that came stock with my frame feels great so far but I haven't shuttled it yet.

Last edited:

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
I did some rough calculation because I'm bored at work

Pedals - take an average set of $70 dollar pedals with a weight of approx. 500g and upgrade to a set of $229 pedals that weigh 350g. That would be a weight reduction of 30% for an increase in cost of 229%.

Shock (Vivid) - $310 Vivid with steel coil spring is approx 1052g. Then the Vivid air is 400g lighter and costs $620. That's a weight reduction of 38% for an increase in cost of 200%.

Yes I know those are vague and there are a lot more variables but the theory applies.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yes I know those are vague and there are a lot more variables but the theory applies.
Nah, it didn't apply when Fox came out with the DHX Air plus it saved over 600g, Air version was less than $100 extra...

2008 Fox DHX 5.0 9.5" x 3", w/500 lb spring = 1060 grams $387.03
2008 Fox DHX 5.0 Air 9.5" x 3" = 440 grams $464.63

mattmatt86

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2005
Bleedmore, Murderland
Nah, it didn't apply when Fox came out with the DHX Air plus it saved over 600g, Air version was less than $100 extra...

2008 Fox DHX 5.0 9.5" x 3", w/500 lb spring = 1060 grams $387.03
2008 Fox DHX 5.0 Air 9.5" x 3" = 440 grams $464.63
true, but that's because the DHX air feels like a turd. What if the Vivid Air feels as good or better than some of the best coil shocks out there?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
true, but that's because the DHX air feels like a turd. What if the Vivid Air feels as good or better than some of the best coil shocks out there?
Its air...many have tried, why will this one succeed? Its also important to keep in mind the Fox platform is about 5 years old and it has gotten better in recent years.

I still don't see what is so special to push prices up so significantly. It shouldn't be an acceptable trend especially since most parts are made overseas these days even if they are assembled in the US like Fox...

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Its air...many have tried, why will this one succeed? Its also important to keep in mind the Fox platform is about 5 years old and it has gotten better in recent years.

I still don't see what is so special to push prices up so significantly. It shouldn't be an acceptable trend especially since most parts are made overseas these days even if they are assembled in the US like Fox...
simple:

Demand. And if it actually works as stated will have no rival in the dh air shock category.

Development cost. Sure it might be just as cheap to manufacturer but it didn't design itself for free. RS is going to want to try to recoup those expenses early and quickly while it's still a hot item.

now why RS charges $300 more for an air sprung boxxer over a coil sprung boxxer when the coil version is arguably a better performing fork and the technology used in the WC is 6 years old is another story. But thumbs up to their marketing department.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
simple:

Demand. And if it actually works as stated will have no rival in the dh air shock category.

Development cost. Sure it might be just as cheap to manufacturer but it didn't design itself for free. RS is going to want to try to recoup those expenses early and quickly while it's still a hot item.
The sport isn't expanding like it was when the DHX Air was in development so I don't see how there could be greater demand than DHX Air had on release before it was deemed a poor solution and Fox is known for their R&D capabilities. Beside that, coil or air shocks are not new/cutting edge technology. The fundamental concepts and materials used in these shocks have been around for decades...

The ridiculous price trends in the cycling industry should not be embraced by consumers - the end user isn't seeing justified gains:rolleyes:

Last edited:

frango

Turbo Monkey
Jun 13, 2007
I am pretty exited about Vivid Air. I have tried DHX Air on my two, previous Glorys and I didn't work well. I hope Vivid will be nice alternative for mmy RC4 with Ti spring... However, it will ne 200g saving for 620$?! :O

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
I am pretty exited about Vivid Air. I have tried DHX Air on my two, previous Glorys and I didn't work well. I hope Vivid will be nice alternative for mmy RC4 with Ti spring... However, it will ne 200g saving for 620$?! :O
You know every gram saved cost $$,but if it improves the preformence & handling of the bike.Then such expensive upgrade will be worth the money,but look at this way that $620 is still cheaper than a BOS or a Cane Creek shock.

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
simple:

now why RS charges $300 more for an air sprung boxxer over a coil sprung boxxer when the coil version is arguably a better performing fork and the technology used in the WC is 6 years old is another story. But thumbs up to their marketing department.
Manufacturing costs on an air shock would undoubtedly be higher than a coil shock - there's simply more parts in there, and more sliding parts and seals which require tight tolerances to make sure they actually work. Same with the Boxxer WC.

The ridiculous price trends in the cycling industry should not be embraced by consumers - the end user isn't seeing justified gains:rolleyes:
There are plenty of cheaper alternatives, if you think the price of this is ridiculous (and I do, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of the Vivid damper moreso than anything) then just buy something else. As much as the monkey would have you believe otherwise, it is actually both physically possible AND morally acceptable to purchase something that isn't the latest/greatest/most expensive. Realistically you don't have more 10x more fun or go 10x faster if you drop $7000 on a bike instead of $700, the performance gain is never truly justified by the price. If you want something affordable, go get a Van R or something, it'll still ride alright, just won't have the bells and whistles.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
Manufacturing costs on an air shock would undoubtedly be higher than a coil shock - there's simply more parts in there, and more sliding parts and seals which require tight tolerances to make sure they actually work. Same with the Boxxer WC.
Yeah, I completely forgot how expensive o-rings are these days.

I'm not buying the manufacturing expense bit. Take a look at marzocchi for example, in '09 they made a coil and an air version of their dh fork with the coil version being about $300 more. As far as manufacturing seals for an air shock, RS/Fox/etc have been doing it for decades. . . more seals = more money is like saying more pivots = more money. besides everyone knows the real cost comes from moar shims.

high price is a reflection of development costs being passed on to consumers in the short term, and the result of the high margin that comes with producing something aftermarket in small numbers (relative to say a dhx or vivid that gets broad oem spec).

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
There are plenty of cheaper alternatives, if you think the price of this is ridiculous (and I do, mainly because I'm not a huge fan of the Vivid damper moreso than anything) then just buy something else. As much as the monkey would have you believe otherwise, it is actually both physically possible AND morally acceptable to purchase something that isn't the latest/greatest/most expensive. Realistically you don't have more 10x more fun or go 10x faster if you drop $7000 on a bike instead of $700, the performance gain is never truly justified by the price. If you want something affordable, go get a Van R or something, it'll still ride alright, just won't have the bells and whistles.
I never implied that but the inflation on mountain bikes is beyond justified. As the sport peaked in popularity prices should have come down such as in motorsports but they are continuing to go up by leaps and bounds. Quality and reliability has gone up with some parts but not all and it isn't by leaps and bounds. Raw material cost went up in recent years but most things are made overseas now so that only explains so much. Consumers shouldn't support such a ridiculous trend against their own interests.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I never implied that but the inflation on mountain bikes is beyond justified. As the sport peaked in popularity prices should have come down such as in motorsports but they are continuing to go up by leaps and bounds. Quality and reliability has gone up with some parts but not all and it isn't by leaps and bounds. Raw material cost went up in recent years but most things are made overseas now so that only explains so much. Consumers shouldn't support such a ridiculous trend against their own interests.
I always thought consumers should do what they they as individuals want according to their own self-defined interests . . .

and you're right, materials costs only explains so much since the cost of doing business itself has gone way up in recent years. foreign manufacturing labor cost is a small part of the equation when figuring out how much it costs to bring a product to market and maintain a profitable business.

prices at the high end have gone up, but i'd argue that if you wait 6 months to a year you tend to see cheaper versions released with only a limited loss in performance. Avid brakes for example, or much of RS mid range fork line . . . such was not the case in the not too distant past; it was all or nothing.

Last edited:

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yeah, I completely forgot how expensive o-rings are these days.

I'm not buying the manufacturing expense bit. Take a look at marzocchi for example, in '09 they made a coil and an air version of their dh fork with the coil version being about $300 more. As far as manufacturing seals for an air shock, RS/Fox/etc have been doing it for decades. . . more seals = more money is like saying more pivots = more money. besides everyone knows the real cost comes from moar shims.

high price is a reflection of development costs being passed on to consumers in the short term, and the result of the high margin that comes with producing something aftermarket in small numbers (relative to say a dhx or vivid that gets broad oem spec).
It's not the o-rings that cost money, it's the fact that all the sealing surfaces need to be tightly toleranced and in the case of the sliding surface, honed or ground to a smooth finish in order that the seal is maintained without excessive friction. Yeah it's all existing technology, but if you've done any quality control stuff you'll be well aware that maintaining tolerances isn't cheap.

For sure, there'll be some degree of expense due to R&D, there always is, but I think manufacturing costs (partly due to scale, as you said) will be the majority of it. No company in their right mind wants their products to be uncompetitively priced, if they could match the price of the DHX Air (and keep the margins they need) I'm sure they would.